1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whitney Houston has passed away

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, Feb 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Of course every time its whittled down to what the source roots of music "really" is, its a guitar/folksy hand instrument/songwriter/singing lullabies in the meadow Joni Mitchell form

In any production there are producers & performers, directors & actors, some people creating the product and some people interpreting it.

AC DC's lead singer hasnt written a song for them in 25 years but he'd get more "cred" than Whitney Houston cuz his work involves guitars. Though they're doing much the same thing.

It wasnt to say to NOT watch tv or evenings news :) Anyone can watch all the CNN and Fox News they want. Just how the Whitney Houston thing is a predictable OVER-COVERAGE "No TV Today" thing.

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Seriously?:rolleyes:

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Comparing Jennifer to Whitney isn't really fair to Jennifer, because they don't really have the same type of voice. Jennifer is a very rare talent in her own right and is severely underappreciated by this generation of quick-fix consumers that would rather waste brain cells bumping whatever latest autotuned drivel Chris Brown puts out. I'd put her among the top 3-5 active female vocalists today, right there with Yolanda Adams and Adele. And it would be downright silly to judge her based on her performance on Grammy night considering she had less than a day to put that together and the emotional circumstances surrounding it.

That said, Whitney was a once in a generation type of talent, perhaps irreplaceable. It's such a shame that it all had to end like this. Tragic.

4. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FO8MyXDYHqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Joking right? They're the same person.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Was that really necessary?

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Another star dead from drugs and/or alcohol (albeit still waiting on toxicology). I've run out of sympathy for stars dying like this. I will bastardize a line from the character Melvin Udall (played by Jack Nicholson) in "As Good as it Gets" (just because it is fresh in my mind from watching the movie yesterday) for these purposes and just say:

"Awful, terrible, tragic. You don't have to wait with me."

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It's still a death, though. If I had a crackhead cousin who died from drugs, I'd feel sympathy for him. So I'm sure this hits harder for her fans than her non fans, regardless of how she died.

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Once I got past the initial shock, it didn't surprise me... Just hate that she was the butt of jokes before passing on........

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

All I know is, Jennifer Hudson butchered that song!

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My in-character Melvin Udall response would be:

"Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City "Sailor wanna hump-hump" bar, or is it getaway day and your last shot at his whiskey? Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

My real response is:

"Of course, you are right. I just wish some of these stars would die more natural deaths unrelated to "toxicity". I do feel sympathy for her and her early departure a day before the Grammy's (is almost too coincidental to be anything other than God's plan for her (or destiny)). And, a week before Maya Rudolph hosts SNL (where she is well known for her Whitney Houston character skits). No, I'm not really a fan other than pounding my head against the wall whenever I hear "I will always love you" somewhere unexpectedly. But, I admired her voice and her talents. I just wish she had more peace in her personal life but stardom and peace do not co-exist well. It really is sad for those who knew her."

I'm wondering if Maya will do a Whitney Houston skit Saturday. I think they will do something funny but tasteful.

12. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

A tough life with a tough ending. Fare the well, Houston.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Whitney Houston album price hike sparks controversy

Sony Music has come under fire after it increased the price of a Whitney Houston album on Apple's iTunes Store hours after the singer was found dead.

The music giant is understood to have lifted the wholesale price of Houston's greatest hits album, The Ultimate Collection, at about 4am California time on Sunday. This meant that the iTunes retail price of the album automatically increased from £4.99 to £7.99.

Houston's The Ultimate Collection, originally released in 1997, was the second top-selling album on iTunes on Monday morning. Apple returned the album to its original price late on Sunday.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's not about Whitney being "sympathetic" in her death...it's the finality of her loss that's hitting people. Her 1986-1991 run was legend, and unlike losers like Winehouse, those are always going to be major memories for folks around at the time.

Shameless.

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Clearly you don't know what the word "butchered" means.

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Really? You had to shoot down Winehouse to bump Whitney? In this thread? Weak sauce.

Other than that, I agree.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

get a freaking life dude. patti maybe a douche but just because she got into some stupid fight at Hobby doesn't mean you have to wish death on her.

patti labelle is an inspiration to lots of singers which i'm sure included whitney. save your pettiness for that thread

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, jennifer is up there for her looks

i'm actually very attracted to jennifer since the weight loss but i doubt its her looks that appeal to most fans. she has an awesome voice

you sound like an old fuddy duddy

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

24 hour news cycle (you want to hear more about Maine caucus)

55 million records sold (she was in another stratosphere for stars)

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

She just doesn't have the vocal range Whitney had and it showed. Maybe choosing a different song would've been better?? *Shrugs*