1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

White Lives Matter

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Aug 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Stick to the GARM OP. :p

2. dback816

dback816 Member

Agreed again, "agenda" should only be used to describe fringe anarchist groups like feminists and lgbt, not righteous heroes like BlackLivesMatter :)

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Never Drink while posting bud, no drunk posting.

[​IMG]

4. dback816

dback816 Member

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LOL WTF? I have an agenda? what is it?? lol

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I ordered some coffee mugs from the HBO store on Thursday with 5-7 business day shipping and so far the only update on the FedEx tracking page is "shipping label has been created. status will be updated when shipment begins to travel." I want my damn mugs soon! Pisses me off that it's taking so long to give me a real status update.

True story: in my freshman philosophy class I pronounced his name "Al-bert Cam-iss"

7. bmd

bmd Member

"Violent crimes are offenses of murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault."

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

By the way, the table only lists the races "white, black, american indian, and asian". Hispanics are counted as "white" in the data. So if you take out the number of crimes committed by Hispanics from the data, the number of crimes committed by lily white people are lower.

And as for the rest of the data, here is every person shot and killed by police this year. You can even sort through the data based on race, weapon used, armed or unarmed, etc:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

Or you can look at "The Counted". It's another database.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/jun/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database

56 unarmed black men have been killed by the police this year.

But guess what...

61 unarmed white men have been killed by the police this year.

#AllLivesMatter...NotJustBlackLives.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I might've missed it but I didn't see on the link where they said that Hispanics are counted as "white" in the data. Considering that there are many Hispanics who are of African descent and of Amero-Indian descent could it be possible that Hispanics are spread out over more than one category?

Looking on the Guardian link it does show that per million that more black people have been killed than whites which would adjust for population.

Going by total number it would make sense given the much larger proportion of the population is white that they would constitute the largest portion of most population stats. I still think though you are jumping to a conclusion that, even though whites and blacks commit the same amount of crime yet whites are more often killed showing that there isn't a bias still doesn't factor out that blacks make up a much smaller proportion of the population. Even accepting that blacks commit, in terms of arrests and charges, about an equal amount of crime as whites we would then still need to consider why a group that is that much smaller is dealing with LE as much as a much larger group. We would also consider then why are whites as a much larger group not being arrested or charged with more crime per the proportion of population.

All that said I agree that regardless of race that any situation where an LEO acts unprofessionally or abuses their power resulting in the death of a civilian that should be a concern. I don't see how saying "Black Lives Matter" changes that. The Civil Rights movement was led primarily by black people and focused primarily on black people. That didn't mean that the benefits of it didn't affect many others.

9. bmd

bmd Member

Back in the 80's and before, the FBI used to track crime based on ethnicity. That means Hispanics had their own category.

I think it was the mid-80's when they stopped tracking ethnicity and started only tracking race (white, black, and asian).

If someone is black but Hispanic like Sammy Sosa or Yasiel Puig, then they would be counted as Black.

But the vast majority of Hispanics are counted as white. Hispanics with brown skin are counted as White. So continuing with the baseball examples, Carlos Correa and Jose Altuve would be White.

As for the second part of your post, let's talk about something that isn't biased... murder. If you kill someone, you're getting arrested no matter what color you are. There is no soft policing of murder.

And the facts are that Black people commit more murder than White people (with Hispanics included), even though the Black population is only 13%.

So even without knowing any other crime stats, it is entirely plausible that the other crime stats follow a very similar trend where Black people are committing as much crime as Whites in total numbers, even though their population is much smaller.

And the reason I bring up crime numbers instead of total population numbers is because the vast majority of those who get killed by the police had committed a crime.

Those who do not commit crimes do not put themselves in a position to possibly get killed by the police.

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Do not include Hispanics in your 77% estimate - that skews the numbers against European descended whites.

1 person likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

Two reasons.

1. Whites simply are not committing as much crime (especially violent crime) as Blacks. That is just a fact, even if it is an unpleasant reality. You can look to murder as proof of that as the police go just as hard after a White murderer as a Black murderer. So those numbers aren't biased or skewed. It isn't as if the police just aren't arresting White murderers and are unfairly targeting Black murderers. It is just reality that White people are not committing nearly the amount of murders per capita as Black people.

2. Because Black areas tend to be more concentrated with violent crime, there is much more of a police presence in these areas. Many White areas have much less police because there is little crime. So White people in many areas are much less likely to be stopped by the police, which means they are less likely to get caught in possession of drugs, for example. Because there is a much heavier police presence in many Black areas due to the much higher crime, Black people are much more likely to be stopped by the police. It's just numbers.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Cops kill white folks... And a thread is started bytch'n about black folks. Very productive people. This is why Texas is on it's way to being like California...

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what about White Hispanics?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Post more in the DnD. We fling poo frequently and evenly.

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What about White Hispanics???????

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Whites commit far more crime in general than Blacks do, they just don't murder as much as blacks do (Which I agree is astonishing) and a lot of that can be attributed to gain violence.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Fixed

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can you please provide the statistics behind your contentions? Thanks.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Don't forget the Black Ones.... We have some as Rockets Players in the present and past.

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Except the table you cite clearly indicates this isn't the case. Total arrests tally at 69.2% white, 28.4% black. Violent crime is 59.4% white vs 38.3% black. You cherry-picked one stat and ran with it, then threw a bogus Latinos are probably responsible for most of the white crime assertion to cover for that.

Your point may or may not be valid, but you playing with the data like this is flimsy at best.