1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whipped in public just for going on a date: Unmarried couples flogged for violating Sharia law in In

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 1, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

It's probably because I actually had positives things to say about Muslims and you weren't having it...

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is the first point at which I reply to you in this thread. From then on your entire narrative was from a Resa Aslan spiel about how religion can't be 'good' or 'evil'. Stop flat out lying.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

OK, I am convinced: OP really hates Islam.

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Irony, you are moving around your own perception to what you believe is a reality , that is your personal choice, but to dictate which narrative to use is just absurd

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Did any of you actually read the article?

This is a small, violent minority that has been appeased and allowed recently to roll back civil rights in their little province so that they don't start an Islamist insurgency against the Indonesian government.

I'm sure they appreciate all your support.

#85 Deji McGever, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Well yea... These sort of threads are old.

Well actually... You accused me of whitewashing history before accusing me of being Resa Aslan (who I had to google to figure out who he was).

7. fchowd0311

I didn't accuse you of whitewashing history. I accuse Islamic scholars of white washing history.

8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Calling Reza Aslan a religious scholar is a bit of a stretch.

9. dmoneybangbang

Well that wasn't clear to me.

Based on what?

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

so basically they are treated like those Settlers in West Bank

11. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Actually...yes. And I think we can agree it's not a model to be admired. It's one of the vilest things I've ever witnessed.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow.I guess it is true about dominating thoughts and emotions from dredging up a six year old thread.

That said I stand by what I said then and having been to Indonesia a few times since my experience hasn't been any different. Yes I didn't go to Banda Aceh. I actually was going to go in 2005 following the Indian Ocean Tsunami with a relief group but I couldn't arrange logistics for the trip. For those who don't know Banda Aceh was the hardest hit place by the tsunami being that it was the closest populated area to the epicenter. It was devastated by both the initial earthquake and the tsunami. 167,000 people died in that disaster. More than half of the total of all victims of the tsunami.

I have been close though to Banda Aceh and was in Lake Toba and Medan in 2011 which is the capital of North Sumatra (which includes Banda Aceh). I can tell you for certain that Sharia law wasn't enforced there and literally had a beer in the shadow of the main mosque of Medan. Also the area around Lake Toba is Batak which is mostly Christian and saw many churches there.

It is true that Banda Aceh is under Sharia law and it is the most Islamic part of the Indonesia but it isn't all of Indonesia and forms a very small part of Indonesia. If we're talking about problems facing Indonesia Banda Aceh is low on the list. Rampant and endemic corruption is by far the biggest problem and having been shaken down by Indonesian police I find that a far greater danger for anyone visiting Indonesia than being subjected to Sharia, forced to convert or beheaded for being an infidel. What I've heard from people who've been to Banda Aceh is that it is one of the least corrupt places in Indonesia.

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I wouldn't be able to visit anyway, because I have a decade of Israeli visas in my passport. But I'm not concerned about how I would be treated in Indonesia. I'm concerned with how Indonesians are treated in Indonesia. When conditions are such that the government is bullied into letting locals establish a mini-theocracy, they are clearly not treated well. Their fate is thrown under the bus by a government that's willing to permit harm to it's own people because it is THAT afraid of it's own religious extremists.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Actually there was a very active Acehnese insurgency up until the 2004 tsunami. Both the government and the Acehnese realized that they needed to deal with the aftermath of the tsunami and couldn't keep fighting. The Acehnese insurgents worked with both the Indonesian government and international groups to provide aid following the tsunami. Because of that experience is one of the reasons why Aceh has been granted special status. The article refers to 2001 but while there was an agreement negotiated then my understanding is that agreement never was fully in effect and both sides violated it. It wasn't until 2005 that a peace was established between the government.

This is in contrast to the Tamil Tigers who had been fighting a protracted insurgency in Sri Lanka. Even though Tiger held territory was among the worst parts of Sri Lanka to be hit by the tsunami. They refused to allow both the government and international aid groups into their territory.

Another thing regarding Aceh. While very conservative Islam is a minority in Indonesia which mostly practices a moderate form of Islam with large populations of Christians, Buddhists, Hindus and Animists. It is the majority in Aceh. Further the Acehnese have for centuries prided themselves on their independence and fought the Dutch, the British, the Japanese along with the rest of Indonesia. For them maintaining autonomy wasn't solely about religion but about Acehnese identity.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Frankly corruption is a far larger burden on Indonesians than religion. Read my other post about Aceh. The Acehnese are a unique people among Indonesians. I personally don't agree with Sharia law but it is what they chose for themselves. It doesn't apply to anywhere else in Indonesia.

It's odd that you're placing the blame on the government for giving the local people what they want. During the Acehnese insurgency when Banda Aceh was under martial law the government was actually bullying people and government forces were accused of and suspected in many atrocities. Would you think it would've been better for the government to continue torturing and disappearing people rather than give them self-determination?

#95 rocketsjudoka, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It would have probably helped if you had read the article. As Deji correctly pointed out, this province was not always that backward, in fact, it just recently moved more towards craziness with religious police and all the Saudi-style BS.

http://spectator.org/35402_syria-post-libya/

(...)

Now, it could be argued that Aceh is only an anomaly in Indonesia. To be sure, the sale of alcohol is allowed elsewhere in Indonesia. In addition, it would be wrong to generalize and claim that Islam as practiced in Aceh is the same across the entire country.

For instance, on the island of Java, which is home to the country’s capital of Jakarta and has a population of 138 million, the conversion from Islam to Hinduism was for many only a nominal process, unlike Aceh. Consequently, they practiced a rather syncretic form of the religion, and in recent years there has been to a certain extent a Hindu revival in Java.

Nonetheless, the overall trend is pointing in a negative direction with respect to treatment of religious minorities. In February of last year, a Christian man was convicted of “blasphemy” against Islam and sentenced to five years in prison. For Islamists in Java, this punishment was not enough, and in a subsequent rampage they attacked members of the Ahmadiyya sect that affirms its Muslim identity but is deemed heretical by most orthodox Muslims. At the same time, two churches were burned and a third razed to the ground.

To take another example, in May of this year, on the outskirts of Jakarta, a Muslim mob threw stones and bags of urine at a church on Ascension Day: the culmination of an intimidation campaign that had begun in January.

One could go on (a Christian center burned by a mob believing that a new church was being built in violation of traditional Islamic law), and the problem is that the government has failed to protect religious minorities, with violence against them on the rise.

For concrete statistics, one need only look at a Guardian report from last month, which points out that “last year, the local Setara Institute for Democracy and Peace recorded 244 acts of violence against religious minorities — nearly double the 2007 figure.”

The Guardian article, which focuses on the case of a civil servant facing a prison sentence for posting “God doesn’t exist” on Facebook, also points to the Indonesian Communion of Churches, which says that around “80 churches have been closed each year since President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono took power in 2004, and an additional 1,000 congregations have faced harassment.”

In the case of West Papua, which has like Aceh been the center of a separatist movement, it is reported that the Indonesian security forces are actively persecuting Christians (see here as well).

This is exactly reminiscent of the security forces’ behavior not only in what is now East Timor but also in the Maluku Islands in 2000-2002, where many Indonesian soldiers cooperated with the Islamist militant group Laskar Jihad’s campaign against Christian Melanesians that killed up to 10,000 Christians.

The trend towards increasing intolerance was also noted by the liberal Muslim writer Irshad Manji, who faced harassment multiple times during her recent book tour in Indonesia to promote her book Allah, Liberty, and Love, which has now been banned in neighboring Malaysia.

Compared with much of the Middle East and North Africa, as well as countries like Pakistan, Indonesia is distant from Islamist theocracy. It should be noted that many of the reports linked to above come from Indonesian outlets like the Jakarta Post. This indicates a commendable degree of press freedom that is by contrast being increasingly eroded in Turkey, which is also upheld as a model for the Muslim world but leads the globe in the number of imprisoned journalists.

Nevertheless, the recent trends in Indonesia point to an environment increasingly intolerant of religious minorities and civil liberties: not only in Aceh, but also the nation in general.

Observers often point to an influx of Wahhabi clerics from the Middle East as the cause, but in my view one should also bear in mind that what Daniel Pipes terms the “Islamic revival,” which began in the 1970s on a global scale, is deeply rooted in issues of identity and cannot simply be put down to oil revenues flowing into Saudi Arabia, has not quite run out of steam.

In sum, one cannot put it any better than the headline of an op-ed by Andreas Harsono in the New York Times: Indonesia today is “no model for Muslim democracy.”

Update from June 6, 2012: Today comes a report in the Jakarta Post, in which an Indonesian think-tank called Charta Politika discusses encroachment of Shari’a into local politics, mentioning the specific case of the city of Taskimalaya in West Java that will soon require all Muslim women — visitors or residents — to wear veils. Again, it should be emphasized that the secular trend that was certainly apparent in the early 1970s is being reversed.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Aceh - 4.7M. 98% Muslim.
    Indonesia - 255M. 87% Muslim.

18. fchowd0311

I really don't understand your point? Did anywhere I suggest that EVERY Muslim region on the planet is dictated by Sharia Law.

I would say there is a correlation and causation with a larger concentration of Muslims giving rise to a larger percent chance the region is governed by draconian Islamic laws.

#98 fchowd0311, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a country with a very high % of follower of Islam. But a small northwest tip of it is under Sharia law. Why?

My understanding is Indonesia rejected Islamic law when it gained independent and its early leaders wanted religion to stay out of politic. In term, my guess is that help with "keeping" extreme outdated religious views from creeping into politic and allow moderation among the population. The region, being fairly successful, independent, is self govern and has wide range of freedom help keeps the extremist views from gaining power. I think that all contribute to the reason why the nation isn't under Sharia law, even if many of the followers think it should be.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are almost as hard to understand as Exiled, sorry.