1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which weight lifting exercises contribute to basketball shooting range?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, May 31, 2015.

1. Rox11

Rox11 Member

PLAY HARDER!

2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Less energy, less range. More energy, more range. It's science.

5. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Well this went in a direction I did not expect.

6. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

You don't need much strength to shoot a long-range shot from 20-25 feet with decent accuracy. Back in high school, I almost never hit the gym and weighed only 145 lbs at 6'0"-6'2". Pretty much a string bean. Didn't have difficulty shooting 3-ptrs.

Your shooting form and your ability to focus matters far more. You just gotta practice.

7. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

My suggestion would be to start taking your jumpers on your vertical meaning jump as high as you can on your jumper while maintaining you balance. This will strengthen your legs thus adding power and range to your jumper. You may have to begin around the free throw line until you are strong enough to extend out. This is what i did when i was in high school. Not only will your range increase but so will your vertical. Im 5'9 and was able to hang on the rim.

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

more leg work and less arm work. Don't bulk up the arms. You ever seen a bodybuilder jacking up threes? It looks hilarious doesn't it?

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

biceps, triceps, core, legs, chest, and back. To get further range more accurately you need to be able to hit the target without heaving it over your head.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Have to train the actual movement you want to improve on with more weight. Doing individual, or even compound exercises, with weights don't automatically translate over. A well rounded weight program can't hurt though, for overall athleticism and balanced mechanics.

11. thejav

thejav Member

Try the hyperbolic time chamber..gonna need to get your power level over 9000!!..

12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Has anyone mentioned pushups yet.....? All you need is 1.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MSxJoPJFxOg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steph Curry is one of the most muscular players in the league.

I'd focus on all the major muscle groups.

14. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

It's all about the coordination.

Shooting is done as a whole body motion, not an arm shot, just like a boxer doesn't throw arm punches as power shots.

I've seen scrawny guys with crazy range without even jumping because they mastered the body coordination to shoot.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In all seriousness, I like this thread better than the guy getting old who has never had low post move, asking what low post moves he should practice as he gets older. I was like, screw that, you're getting old. Let the kids take the offensive lane and learn a baseline jumper...then play d and rebound.

For you, I went through a similar peak at my best years at 21-24. What I learned is elevation on my jumper was the most important. I was tired of coming from a HS motion offense team to the play grounds and getting known as the defensive guy, since my motion skills didn't translate. I was ready to score. You don't need weight training on that. What I did was when shooting around, I jumped as high as I could on jumpers. No set shots. I increased 6 inches on my vertical just by jumping as high as possible on every shot in practice. Easily 1-2 hours of shooting 4-5 days a week. That 6 inches just opened up my game tremendously. Now head fakes and passing options come into play.

My one claim to fame was Ricky Pierce coming out to the court at Rice, having seen me there several times, asking me to play one-on-one

Not to say I would jump my highest on 3s, but nonetheless, your legs will get you distance.

It's called a "jumper" for a reason.

That's doesn't mean you can't also do a Prigioni set shot 3. Just trying to point out that arm strength exercises are over-rated for several sports...starting with basketball shooting and tennis

#35 heypartner, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  16. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and tell you that shooting range is determine by the quickness in the release.

Lift is a huge component, but the quicker your release the further your range is.

17. teknokid

teknokid Member

It's all about the explosiveness, total body workout, and footwork. Slow motion workout such as curl, tricep pull down, slow squats, and military press won't help much. You need to work on your fast twitch muscle. Do the heavy weight / low rep.

My suggestion

1. Clean and Jerk (the best basketball workout)
    2. Dumbbell Snatch
    3. Kettle Bell Swing
    4. Double Under Jump Rope
    5. Footwork Drills

18. likestohypeguy

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Maybe good ole' fashioned push ups? I know that if I have to shoot a really long ball, if I pump about 10 pushups it makes it easier.