1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Top Free Agent Big Benefits most from Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Mar 4, 2013.

?

Which Free Agent Would Benefit the Most from the Rockets?

1. Josh Smith

50 vote(s)
    20.4%
  2. David West

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Paul Milsap

30 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Dwight Howard

124 vote(s)
    50.6%
  5. Andrew Bynum

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Al Jefferson

18 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. kastuul

kastuul Member

Signing one more stars is not about make a better team.

The Rockets should be a contender after this signing.

DH is the only player who can take the team to next level.

2. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was true when Sloan was coach, not so sure about now.

3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

God, I hope they don't go after one of these guys.

4. dragonz

dragonz Member

where is the "none" option?

5. jocar

jocar Member

It'd be a tie between... Bynum (since he's in the crappiest situation- on a non-playoff team in the East; the rest are on decent teams in playoff contention)
    and Milsap (because he's got 3 guys who he's gotta play behind; on this team he'd immediately be a #2 or #3 option).

6. jocar

jocar Member

Lol, half the people here are reading "which top free agent big man would benefit the Rockets most?"

7. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

Dwight Howard is a joke..The guy is still terrible at free throws..No real low post moves..He's been working with Hakeem and still has sloppy footwork..The Lakers have lost games because Dwight can't make free throws..He doesn't show any signs of getting better..Dwight Howard is an over priced big man..I'd rather have two quality players...

8. steady

steady Member

Yes, not close.

Not crazy about DH's reputation for being a diva, but if he wants to come to Houston - and his (below) comments during All Star wknd, really intriguing - Rockets should take him. No question.

"During media availability, when Dwight Howard was asked about joining the Houston Rockets, he had a surprising answer.
    "I like their team to be honest with you," Howard said when discussing the Rockets. "They're a great team. They're young. They play hard. They're scrappy. They play together. Everything they do has been great. It's fun to watch them." After hearing nothing but negativity all summer about the Rockets' prospects of keeping Howard if they acquired him, this story is certainly a breath of fresh air. Obviously, a lot changed when the Rockets got Harden in a red jersey, and that's worth noting with respect to all free agents, not just Howard.
    But what also appears to have changed is Howard's opinion of the Lakers. When he was asked about free agency, Howard had very little to say. "There's no need to talk about (free agency). I want to have fun. I want to enjoy myself and not talk about free agency or what I'm going to do at the end of the season."
    In his discussion of not talking about free agency, Howard actually said a lot. He continued, talking about free agency, "I've got to do what makes me happy. That's it." When pressed on what makes him happy, he responded, "Having fun on the court, that makes me happy."
    And then, the kicker. When asked if he was having fun with the Lakers, Howard said "Not at the present time, no. Hopefully it gets better."
    As Daryl Morey reads the reports from this weekend, he could care less if Chandler Parsons scored 13 points in the BBVA Rising Stars Challenge or if Jeremy Lin is able to win the Skills Challenge tonight. What he cares about is seeing Dwight Howard, the apple of his eye, dishing on his unhappiness in Los Angeles and his intrigue with the Houston Rockets roster. "

9. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Besides Dwight Howard, the others on the list aren't that impressive, and have already hit their ceiling. How about trading up for a first round pick and drafting Shabazz Muhammed? Rockets can develop him into a superstar ...

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Josh Smith has by far the most to gain as an individual by joining the Rockets.

He will either have to improve or cut down his 3's. He will be taught better interior play. This will improve his biggest problem: poor FG%. Moreover, being on one of the most fast-paced teams will see him get easier buckets a further help his FG%. His interior presence will generate some fast break opportunities for us. He will not be allowed to handle the ball enough to turn it over 3-4 times a game. Finally, Asik's rebounding will cover up for his typically below average rebounding numbers.

Having said that, I'm skeptical about offering him the MAX because I'm not sure he will listen to the things that would improve his game. I remember reading that he insists on taking 3's despite hitting only 30% and sporting a poor FG%. Also, his FT% has tanked for no reason that I can see, and to me that's an indication that someone has a chronic injury or is not in good shape.

He has a ton to gain if he buys into the team concept. Whether we have as much to gain by taking this risk is something which we could probably determine by meeting him and talking to him before offering anything. If he is too full of himself to commit to the hard work before an offer, then screw it he's not worth the risk at this point in his career.

Have to admit though, a motivated and committed Josh Smith could catapult this team to contender status.

11. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Yes, i want Pek too.

12. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Shabazz is overrated.

13. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Why would the Blazers trade him? They are building around him, Lillard, and Batum. They've also got a young big with potential in Leonard and Hickson (free agent after this year, though) has turned into a pretty good player as well. His contract is up after the 14-15 season but I bet they do everything in their power to keep him there. Would I offer up Motiejunas, TJones, picks, etc. for him? Yes, I would. Would the Blazers take that? I doubt it. We need Aldridge to force his way out and demand a trade in order to get him most likely.

14. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Playing with old folks makes you play old. Dwight would be rejuvenated by playing with this young squad.

It appears the pollsters agree with me.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

Whats that have to do with him coming to Houston? Hakeem has training camps certain times of the year and all the top stars like kobe Amari and what not go to get tips from him.

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

As a Rockets fan, I couldn't care less which FA benefits the most from us. I only care how a FA will benefit Rockets the most.

Let's assume every team is under the cap. Who, on that list, can demand a max and you have at least 28 GM's willing to sign him?

Who, on that list, has the power to change a coach? What do you think will happen if D12 says to Mitch, 'Fire D'Antoni or I won't sign?'

It's D12 and it's not even close.

17. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Overrated and selfish player. Pass.

Isaiah Austin on the other hand would be perfect. Stretch 4 that can shoot and play the post.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Dwight tries to make too many people happy, but ultimately the fact he's a big kid playing on a team of grumpy old men was always going to cause friction. Team bonding consisting of Xbox night at Dwight's seems more like him (just watch out for flying controllers if you beat James). If he stays in LA, he'll never win a title, simply because there won't be anyone to win a title with, their only hope was Jackson, and that ship has sailed.

In Houston, there's really only one grumpy old man, but he made the Hall of Fame so he's allowed to be.

Harden is also a much better combo with Dwight than Kobe, and that comes down to how Harden scores, even if the game slows down, his efficiency means he can score 25 points extremely quietly, Kobe on the other hand, is the center of his and everyone around him's universe, that same talent that shot them out of the 2004 finals is still on show.

Is money an issue? well a lot of people seem to think so, on the question it seems that Dwight values a ring (or better yet, multiple) more than an extra $30m and has pretty much said that whenever proposed, I genuinely don't think he gives a **** if he ends his career with $200m or $300m, at a certain point the opportunity cost of extra money falls to irrelevance vs winning titles.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This. Voted for Smith, our playing style would really help him making the next step.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

D12 is the obvious choice - but not worth the potential for him to be a cancer with his lying two faced diva self - PASS!
    Bynum is too much of an injury gamble for a long term contract - PASS!
    JSmith wants max money... PASS!
    West/Milsap/Al.... i'd take any of em - if the price was right. They'll prob get more than I'd be willing to pay - PASS!

KLove, LMA or Pekovic are who we need to target.... If that means signing one of the above and flipping them to get one of the latter - so be it...