1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team won the trade: HOU or OKC, 6 months later

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macan, Jan 9, 2020.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

We don’t need a better Austin Rivers who shows up once a series. We need a guy who can dominate a game when Harden can’t. Goodbye CP3, he was great but he wasn’t that guy anymore. Did we not just see last playoffs?

Corrosion likes this.
  2. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

those picks dont catch assits. n our draft slots would mean they super low. could be busts

3. today

today Contributing Member

Both teams are marginally better on the court. OKC gets a year less on the contract side and got some picks. I'd say that they got the better end of the deal, but given our goals, it was still worth it on our end too.

pugsly8422 and kjayp like this.
  4. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

if we end up playing OKC in r1 and lose to them, we definitely lost the trade.

We might be losing the trade already..

5. smp

smp Member

Maybe it’s actually beneficial for BOTH teams.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it is the Clippers-OKC trade that tripped us up tonight

7. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Okcnis a better team now and will be more dangerous in the playoffs

I'm talking about better than the george Westbrook duo

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It hurts man. I know I speak for all of us who were against the trade that a piece of us is dying watching this.

You optimists just keep holding on. This team has to turn it around. Maybe this is "the Philly game".

da_juice and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

In terms of assets OKC obviously won the trade, but i think that wasn't even debatable from the first moment we had the details.

For the Rockets will be still worth it if they can win the chip.

smp and da_juice like this.
  10. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

That’s just not all though OKC got more younger players and they are athletic. They got better players from previous trades like from the OKC and clippers trade or when they got Schouder by dumping Melo

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Neither team is winning a championship with the players they have so I'd say okc since they got draft picks.

daywalker02 and da_juice like this.
  12. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I think its obvious that we won the trade. As skilled as CP3 is, he still couldn't take clint one on one last night. If eric Gordon played last night would have been closer.

but give the thunder credit they are good. Shroder, ferguson, adams, Diallo, shai gil are all good players...they play good team defense and perimeter defense on harden.

We lost cuz are defense aint good enough and Ben mac and house are bench players getting starting quality minutes....its not about russ versus Chris.

I am interested to see what Michael frazier can do. yes, we are that desperate....we really, really lack some athletic freaks like Schroder who can play well in transition and d and hit threes....even ferguson looked great last night. those are the players we need.

I am all for going small and giving clemons a lot of minutes from now on. We aren't going anywhere with house and Ben getting a lot of minutes.

Clemons is a really good perimeter defender regardless of his size and is good in transition and threes.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol it's a ridiculously hilarious time to ask it

We won the trade. Our window has still improved, even if Paul plays better than Westbrook this season.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I haven't been watching a lot of games lately, but this is a surprising statement. He's looked pretty awful on the defensive end from what I've seen.

justtxyank likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Frustrating question, next.

I am looking forward to the next 1st round pick that they use to draft someone.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Thunder 100% “won” the deal by a long shot. 4 picks, less salary, better player for helping their rebuilding core.

However everyone knew at the time the Rockets got fleeced. It was a known loss. The payoff would be either this June or a couple years down the road. The gamble was Westbrook could dominate games in the playoffs that CP3 could not and take the reigns from Harden at times to help win the title. The secondary gamble was about health. Long term and short term. The gamble was CP3 was on the precipice of decline, and they didn’t want to get stuck with him at the end of his career when he was injured 99% of the time ala TMac.

For the record I think the Rockets were wrong to make this gamble but I know the gamble they were making. I get why people like Westbrook but I just simply don’t see a player I trust to make winning basketball plays. He has some great games but this just simply isn’t the championship caliber player Tillman thinks he is because of his reputation, triple double stats that become the story, and his highlights. IMO he’s still really bad. Like awful. Which is painful to say as a diehard Rockets fan.

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he keeps players in front of him, even quicker players, can go over the screen and under and not lose his man without fouling...even in the paint he doesn't get easily backed down. his weakness is that obviously they can go over him in the paint, or just lack of communication or experience on switches. but its not from lack of athletic ability. he has the quickness laterally and is really fast on closing out on a shooter.

18. JackLordsHair66

With the picks involved I’d say OKC got the slightly better end of the deal. The trade was always based on Harden being satisfied and happy because he clearly didn’t like giving up some of his cache to Chris mainly because Chris had the balls to challenge him and call him out to an extent. If it had been a a straight up swap the Rockets probably got the slightly better end of the deal, in so far as Russ may not be as consistent as CP3, but his ceiling is certainly higher and he will likely be available game in game out which wanan Aussie now with Chris especially last year ... Chris may actually make it through this season less injured because he isn’t playing as much as he would have here. Clearly the depth and options for the OKC are much better, their bench is far better and they are young and athletic, all the things the Rockets are not. Chris may end up getting the better end of this deal by the time playoffs roll around because Dantoni is hell bent on driving our guys into the ground at this point and our bench is weak sauce in comparison to theirs. That was a highly frustrating watch last night !!! Sure hope Tilman is happy with his luxury tax savings !!

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's not either/or.

I do think it's a clear win for OKC. They are winning more, they got draft picks, and I think CP3's stock is more desirable around the league than Westbrook's.

For Rockets, it depends on what they can do this year in the playoffs. Without knowing what the relationship was like between CP3 and Harden, it's impossible to really judge it. Putting that stuff aside, strictly basketball-wise I still lean towards thinking we're a better team with CP3 than with Russ.

napalm06, justtxyank and YOLO like this.
  20. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

thunder are TBD because of all their draft picks.