1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which team is your ideal first-round opponent for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 6, 2019.

?

Which team is your ideal first-round opponent for the Rockets?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2019.
  1. Denver

18 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Oklahoma City

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. Portland

12 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. Utah

92 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. LA Clippers

120 vote(s)
    30.2%
  6. San Antonio

121 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. Golden State

32 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Is Denver the 2014-15 Atlanta?

2. HP3

HP3 Member

I just wanna say, don’t sleep on the Clippers. Those guys have a good team. 3 of the best players are also former Rockets and all their role players are solid.

TexasRedd and clutchdabear like this.
  3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Clips, dream playoff route is to go Clippers -> Nuggets -> Warriors

While Warriors have to face Spurs -> Thunder -> Us

The reason why Denver has been so good is because they are ultra deep, like that 60 win Hawks team or the Raptors every year but they'll flame out in the playoffs when 8 man rotations are natural.

Houston's biggest obstacle is health. Even going into the last 15 games, Shump and Faried are still injured.

Hopefully, no one else gets injured right before the playoffs.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

every team that makes the playoffs can be considered good. well for the west that's true at least. But being just good gets you only so far. Teams like denver and the clips if they make it, will get weeded out quick when they realize they don't have another gear that's needed in the playoffs to actually make some noise

HP3 likes this.
  5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

But they're all role players. In crunch time, who gets the ball? Lou Williams? I'm much more concerned about the likes of Lillard, Nurkic, Mitchell, George, DeRozan, and Aldridge.

BaselineFade, HP3 and malakas like this.
  6. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't fear any of those 5-8 seed teams at all. I'm going to say the Spurs because I'm a vengeful person and they recently eliminated us.

Dodge OKC and Golden State for a round or two and I'm satisfied.

BigShasta and heypartner like this.
  7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clippers -> Denver ->GSW -> Boston is my semi realistic hope. Doubt Boston makes it though. Don't want to play Philly or Milwaukee. I am okay with the Raptors or Celtics.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Utah/Clippers/ Spurs/Denver are all the same to me.

pippendagimp and heypartner like this.
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Bucks are

topfive and BigMaloe like this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Hell's to the no for OKC and Portland.

We can beat everyone else tho but Spurs are also always annoyibg

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ideal, I would say Clippers. Even though they've given us problems in the past, I'm confident we can beat them in a 7 game series. I don't want to see the Jazz or OKC even though I know we can beat those teams as well. The other match up I don't mind is Portland.

I am only concerned about the Warriors at this point. If I had to rank.

Clippers
    Portland
    San Antonio
    OKC
    Denver
    Utah
    Golden State

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

This.

Star power trumps everything, in the playoffs. I don't think there's ever been an instance where a guy has come out of nowhere, to shock the world. Like a Linsanity effect, if you will.

topfive likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Has MDA ever beaten Pop in a playoff series? Would be nice for him to get that over with.

I want the Warriors. Let's not waste time or risk injury/fatigue before playing them. They will have less time to figure their chemistry out too, I can see them imploding if we take game 1 from them.

That's not going to happen though so I guess it's the Clippers. Can't see them taking a single game from us. Yes I know they work hard bla bla bla. But MDA would crush Rivers, no one can bother Harden and it would not be difficult to guard them. We wouldn't take them lightly I'm sure given the adversity we've faced.

Balldon'tlie and BaselineFade like this.
  14. pauebtg

pauebtg Member

Am I the only one who says Warriors? Harden is at his playoff best in the 1st and 2nd round....CP3 will be fresh and healthy. Everybody will be fresh and good to go. I think it's better to Knock off the Warriors ASAP just to get them out of the way. I mean, why delay the inevitable? You want a fresh and healthy Rockets team against the Dubs or a tired and possibly battered Rockets team after 2 possibly tough series? (that's what happened last year. 0-27 from deep is Tired legs) And we all know the Rockets aren't just going to breeze through the 1st and 2nd round. Not with how the West is looking. Might have to go through a 7 game series or two early in the playoffs.

#34 pauebtg, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Jake Tower, Balldon'tlie and today like this.
  15. today

today Contributing Member

This... I would much rather play GS in round 2 rather than in the WCF. Ideally you'd have DEN at #1, HOU at #2 and GS at #3, but that's pretty far fetched, so I'd settle for GS #2/HOU #3 or GS #1/HOU #4.

We need to be completely healthy to beat GS. Against any other team (East or West), we still have a solid chance to win, even if we aren't healthy.

As for the 1st round, give me the Spurs... Short travel and probably a 4-1 series, with a 4-0 result being more probable than a 4-2 result.

16. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

GSW - no way; I want all eyes on us for that WCF matchup
    DEN - only way we play them is if we drop to 6/7, which would give me a lot less confidence in this team's ability to make a long run
    PDX/UTAH/OKC - meh, I think we can take them all, but they could each take a game or two from us
    LAC - I have yet to see us stop Trez or Williams consistently; we'd win this series but it'd be tougher than most would think

SAS - ding ding ding! Derozan strikes no fear in my heart. MDA gets to avenge his losses to Pop. We're just as intelligent as they are and have much better high-end talent. I'd predict a clean sweep here

HP3 likes this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Steven Adams is gonna knee Chris Paul in his hamstring.

pauebtg likes this.
  19. LUK3

LUK3 Member

Worriers. Go to Oakland, punch them in the face and leave.

pauebtg likes this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Clippers in 1st, Denver in 2nd is ideal.