1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which players on the roster/via FA fit D'Antoni's system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sugrlndkid, May 26, 2016.

1. DeathStar

DeathStar Member

I think Josh Smith could do well in this system. With him, Beasley, D-Mo (Please come back healthy), and Capela the Rockets have a pretty solid front-court. Add in Montrezl and a cheap free-agent signing they would be set.

I like KJ a lot and hope that he gets some PT this upcoming season. The guy is fast, can cut and can dunk on pretty much anyone. On top of that he is a + defender, but idk how far that weill get him under D'Antoni.
    I pray that Brewer is gone by the start of training camp. But, if he remains, then his ability to cut and make strange lay-ups could be a positive.
    IDK what happened to Ariza last season. I like the guy and think he is a good player. Hopefully he can turn things around next season and get back to knocking down 3s and defending.

Harden should play a lot of PG.

Bev is the heart and soul of this team, but he could be gone. I hope not...

Terry, Dwight and T Jones can find a new home.

So, IMO we will need a back up combo guard (Lull isn't coming over so stop) and a back-up big.

Long story short, outside of a big name free-agent Noah on a good contract and Lin (I know...) don't seem like terrible options.
    Maybe they get some insurance on the wing by bringing in Dudely. Horrible name but solid shooter and seems to like the D'Antoni hire.

2. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I dunno man Nash was in the league for EIGHT YEARS before he we went back to the Suns.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Without the right players Mike D'Antoni's system not a winning one, league must learn <a href="https://t.co/hyJ04PITHj">https://t.co/hyJ04PITHj</a></p>&mdash; Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/status/736257447862489088">May 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

You mean as an asst. coach, right? He can't play anymore.

5. dmoneybangbang

Defense is important but aside from this season, we went from 20th to 10th in the Harden era.

This seasons abomination was an outlier, not a trend.

6. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Joakim Noah because of the passing.

7. ballgame

ballgame Member

We need to add to our bench. I would like for Morey to bring in Raphiael Putney and Denzel Livingston during the Summer. Actually, I think they could've helped our bench last yr. We need players who can put the ball in the basket!

But we are not going to make major changes, outside of maybe one or two FAs or possible trades (I'm hoping for Conley or Teague, along with Horford or Ryan Anderson). Also, I think another trade possibility is Rudy Gay and Nick Collison.

Harden needs a solid #2 scorer and Rudy Gay fits the bill.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

There seems pretty general consensus here that the current roster doesn't really fit that well with MDA's system (does it fit that well with ANY system?). I tend to agree. But here is what that indicates...a fairly complete roster makeover is necessary. That takes a couple years, at least. Players that are acquired don't all work out as planned, new holes need to then be plugged, etc. Also, it takes a good half year or even a full year for the team to gel together even once the roster becomes solidified. So, this could easily be a 3 year project....

9. RyanB

RyanB Member

great the exact time of contract of MDA!

then after the failure, Harden leaves, and ....rebuilding

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Noah and Deng would be very good MDA fits. And both play D. Neither are max players either at this stage of their careers.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The players that fit well are those who care the least about defense.

Harden, Brewer, and Beasley are perfect D'Antoni guys.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

That article is totally spot on.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Brew (much to the disdain of other rocket fans), Smith, DMo, and possibly KJ.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. 3 point shooters

I don't mean the Trevor Arizas or Patrick Beverley's of the world. We need pure 3 point shooters.

2. Big men that can run PnR and hit the midrange shot

This is would be the main reason to want Horford. His skills mimics what Stoudemire and Diaw did in Phoenix...hit the mid range, work the PnR, etc.

3. Rebounding

Lost in all this is the fact that D'Antoni's teams had two great rebounders in Marion and Stat. You're going to have to bring this element into the game somewhere.

15. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Anderson, bazemore and horford.

16. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

D'antoni also seemed to like to play with a small frontcourt and big backcourt. That first phoenix team had Amare and Marion as the two bigs (when really they naturally are PF and SF respectively), Quentin Richardson at SF, and Nash and Joe Johnson at Guards (Johnson definitely big for SG, and Nash listed at 6'3 but probably shorter). For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Harden at starting Point Guard with KJ McDaniels, Brewer, or another wing playing next to him, but guarding opposing point guards. You might see a wing like Ariza slide down to power forward, and a natural power forward play center (Horford would be a great fit).

17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Evan Fournier and Al Horford.

Filler guys and trade some of our other pieces for Noel/Okafor.

Make it happen.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Worse case, D'Antoni can help develop Capela into a Tyson Chandler-lite when he was in New York, running PnR's with Lin. Capela has pretty good hands and can finish around the basket. Dude just needs to get stronger.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Conley/Fournier would be decent. Some combo with shooters.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder which NBA free agents D'Antoni is able to attract. I mean, his reputation has taken a hit in recent years. W-L records aside, he also clashed with stars like Dwight and Melo on his team and players do talk to each other.