1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which players are under/over/wrongly utilized?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by arno_ed, May 30, 2014.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Many posters here complain about players being underutilized (D-Mo), over utilized (Harden) or wrongly utilized (Lin). There have been thousands of threads about the rockets players. Most of us also watch other teams (why post in the Dish if you do not). And I can imagine that you also think players are under/over/wrongly utilized in other teams. Which players do you believe are not used properly, and why?

Underutilized
    Birdman:
    I never understood why the Heat use him so little, every time I watch a Heat game (and I want them to loose) I do not want him on the floor, he is a great ring protector. I understand he does not space the floor as well as you might want, but he is so valuable for his defence, and he can finish above the rim.

Steve Adams:
    Especially when Ibaka was injured the Thunder needed rim protection. Adams is also a good rim protector, I did not understand the Perkins Collison combination, both are good one on one post defenders, but neither is a rim protector (Collison is a good help defender). I thought the smarter move would be to start Adams and Collison.

Gorgui Deng:
    The Timberwolves had Pekovic and Love, both great offensive players, but they kept on loosing. They really needed a rim protector, Why didn’t Adelman start using Dieng more often earlier in the season? It was clear what the Wolves needed. When a player who can bring those things immediately starts to average a double double with 2 blocks when he starts he and before that he only averaged around 6 minutes there is something wrong (especially when Dante Cunningham was getting these minutes).

Over utilized
    Kendrick Perkins:
    I do not think he brings that much to the starting line-up. He is a good post one on one defender, but offensively he is terrible. On top of that you have a better back up player in Adams. I would be shocked if Perkins is still the starter next year.

Wrongly utilized
    Nicolai Pekovic:
    I’m a huge fan of Pekovic. I think he is almost unstoppable in the low post. During the last two years the wolves went through stretches were they had subpar guards shoot long jumpers without even looking inside for Pekovic. Pekovic is not a great defensive player, and if you also do not go to him in the low post, why have him on the court (his offensive rebounding is great, so that is one reason)?

Luis Scola:
    The Pacers amaze me sometimes, you have Battier guarding Scola, so what have you him do, play pick and role with Stephenson, which causes the switch and have Battier on Stephenson, or a long jumper for Scola. Why would you do that. Scola is a great low post player, he would destroy Battier in the post, we saw many times Scola scored 2 baskets in the low post and then the pacers stopped going to him. The pacers in general make strange calls IMHO about how to play offensive, you have players Like West in the low post, yet you have Hill and Stephenson going one on one and jacking op contested long jumpers?

Marc Gasol:
    I know he is used plenty, But I do not understand why they do not go to him in the low post more often, especially when Randolph is struggling.

#1 arno_ed, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. lpbman

lpbman Member

I don't know what more you want from the guy... he is 52 years old, after all.:p

3. jvu

jvu Member

Perk is a turd. Thunder should've kept green as a 6 or 7th man or traded someone (anyone) not named perk.

Birdman is really efficient in the post. Not sure if Lebron and super squad makes it that easy for him but he always looks good out there defensively.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The whole rockets team

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

Give me one good reason why Scottie "utilizes" Derek "Catfish Face" Fisher at all.