1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which of the three young big guys get a contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Oct 8, 2015.

Tags:
  1. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Josh Smith has made an impression, if he just laid off the soda and fried chicken he would be a solid player

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i havent watched any preseason except highlights. but this guy must be really big hahaha

3. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

4. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

He IS very big, but moves surprisingly well for a guy his size. Has good hands and good enough moves in the paint to score when he bullies his way into the paint.

Obviously will need to build up some stamina which would be helped by losing a few pounds(20-30) but you don't want him to lose *too* much or he loses the size advantage that allows him to push guys out of the way down low.

I would not object to having him as a 3rd string center on the real team. We will see how consistent he is over the next four games.

1 person likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Joshua has surprisingly good touch around the rim for such a big guy.

6. Nemospl

Nemospl Member

Walker has a lot of potential but on a win now team he hasn't shown me anything that will help if he were called upon.

Tyler hasn't done anything at all

Smith is the man! Good hands, passing, inside game. Uses his weight well. Needs to work on setting proper screens so not to pick the unnecessary fouls.

I think Smith should get the spot.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I think I said Taylor earlier in this thread but I'm a Smith convert. If Howard isn't playing back-to-backs we need another center for spot minutes (foul trouble, potential injury). D-Mo can do a lot of this but who knows when. Without Joshua Smith on the bench we're (situationally) thin at center; with him we're phat.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yes. It's almost too good. Like, it makes me think that some of these shots he's tossing up there that are going in are luck and/or a hot streak. His post up scoring stats are probably absurdly good, and while I do believe he can be a good post up player, I don't think he's already as good as his stats may indicate.

Still, I am very interested in him. I wonder how much weight he can actually lose, and how much weight he should lose. He's a big guy who knows how to use his weight to his advantage, so we want him to keep some of it.

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

This guy has raw potential

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Smith showed he has back to back game, but he has less rim protection than our PFs. I like Tyler the most of guys without guaranteed contracts, he has range, is athletic, lacks strength on D, but is athletic enough to compensate.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Except he doesn't compensate. Good outside shot but that is about it. A one trick pony despite his size and even his athleticism.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Smith has a nice postup game ... but ... he is slow on the help D, no rim protection, slow transitioning back on D, etc. Whatever he gives us on offense (soft hands, good use of his body to keep his man away, good touch on postup shots), he will give back at the other end.

Tyler has a nice 15-18' J. Like Smith, no much on D. At least there is some hope that he will run back on D.

Walker at 220 lb aint no 5. Not in the NBA.

Tyler is the best of the lot, but all are marginal NBA talents. I would not be surprised to see Morey bring in more bodies.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have a feeling they wont fill that last roster spot , that they'll keep that small amount of cap space and roster spot open in case someone gets cut down the line ....

But if I were to keep any of the three mentioned in this thread , it would be Smith. Offensively and rebounding he's the best of the bunch .... defensively I think he's just raw. Losing a little weight and learning the intricacies of the NBA game .... You may just have a capable backup 5 for dirt cheap.

Those other two are just "athletes" not basketball players.

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

Can we go into the season with empty roster spot?

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wish they could start the season with only 14 players, but I don't they will be able to. I expect Smith to get that last spot, because we really need him. DMo will not be ready to go at the start of the season, and Dwight may not be playing back to back games. We really need a third center. Are the Rockets really planning to play TJones or Harrell at the center position? It can be done of course, but is that the best option?

Smith is this seasons Tarik Black.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Bring back Alan Williams

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think it needs to be Josh Smith to confuse casual fans/journalists into thinking he's the other Josh Smith. Most of the Warriors fans seemed very confused last night.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They can start the season with an empty roster spot. The league minimum is 13 meaning they could go into the season with two empty roster spots.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Yeah, where is he anyway?

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

"Holy ****! Josh Smith got HUGE!"