1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

which former "dumb pick" was the best decision?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I hate polls, so just let me know who has shined the best in your opin and why...add a name if I left it off that you thought seemed like a consensus "dumb pick", but has seemed to be proven a great pick...of course it is still early on some, but just for kicks.

JJ Watt - everybody said what? after the fact, but a great choice for what was available and he has played like a veteran already, a smart and true 3-4 DE...

Mario Williams- face it, you have the #1 pick when others thought Leinart, Young or Bush...No premiere pick at #1, but Mario in hindsight was the best choice compared to anyone else that could have been selected first

Ben Tate - everyone seemed to want Toby, but Ben has been something as part of the best RB duo in the NFL

Kareem Jackson...oops!

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Super Mario by far.

He was playing at an all Pro level this year before he got injured.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I pick JJ... He brought effort and toughness to an underachieving D-line

4. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

This is tough to answer. I wanna say Mario, because I was pissed when I heard the Texans reached a deal with him before the draft. I thought it should've been VY, and now I couldn't be happier with that pick. Also, I was shocked, angry, etc., when they picked JJ Watt this year. I was texting people and getting ready to celebrate when Nick Fairley fell to their pick. When I saw it was JJ instead, I seriously thought I was dreaming for a second.

I'll go ahead and pick Mario, since it was the #1 pick overall.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I didn't think Tate, Mario, or Watt were dumb picks. I really wanted the Texans to trade up for Ryan Mathews over Kareem Jackson.

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I would say the Drew Henson pick in the 6th round in 2003, which everybody thought was a wasted pick since he was getting paid 25 mill to suck in baseball. And they flipped it for a 3rd rounder and package that pick with other picks to get Jason Babin. I bet none of you thought of that.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, with the 73rd pick of the 2005 NFL draft, the Houston Texans select... Vernand Morency from Oklahoma State University

Casserly sucks even on things he didn't suck at.

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I was disappointed with the Watt pick at first, because I thought Mario would stick at DE and Watt would be a rotational guy. I underestimated the substantial effect a "motor guy" could have on the line. I don't think he changed the culture like Suh did, but I think his effort gave a bit of pep to everyone else around him.

I too thought we'd go after Fairley. Hearing the names Locker, Smith, Gabbert was the happiest 15 minutes as a Texans fan I had that season since the OT win at Washington.

9. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I'd say Brian Cushing...everyone loved the pick then not so much. Basically, said the only reason he was an all-pro was because of the roids and killed Smith for not picking Matthews.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think Fairley will turn out better than watt. Of course I didn't watch watt as much, but Fairley was such a beast in college.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Mario pretty easily.

The way Super Mario was exiled even before he took the field in a Texans uniform has to be the reason why I would choose Mario. Everyone wanted VY or Bush. He's been very impressive. You can honestly label Mario as the 2nd best player on this team behind Andre Johnson and that's saying a lot considering how much talent we really have on this team.

12. conquistador#11

i've always applauded the front office for the draft day roster moves. hey, they blew the Osucky pick but they got a hell of a kid in schaub, a franchise Tackle and eventually cushing and also lucked into the best Rb in the NFL. As we all know, luck plays a huge role in the NFL. That 2009 draft is filled with damned good kids.

Ahhhhh Kareem, I'm still shaking head.

From the options you gave me, I have to say Mario.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In my opinion, the only one of those names that should be in conversation for a "dumb" pick would be Kareem. And there are people on here that will argue Kareem was selected where he should have been. (I'm not one of them, but I think Kareem is underrated)

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

actually Kareem WAS and kinda STILL is a dumb pick, just have him there to highlight the Texans can muck it up just as easily in hindsight. . .maybe he will improve but no doubt he should be CB3 not CB2 right now but at the same time saying that, we would have not faired much better with the then hyped Kyle Wilson . . .

#14 ROXRAN, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  15. Buck Turgidson

No one in their right mind thought JJ Watt was a bad pick.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't see how you can call someone who was top 3 left on the board, at a position of need, a bad pick. Yeah, he may not be a superstar, but as this season has gone on, Kareem has actually been playing decent football. I'm fine with him as a number two corner so far. We can't expect him to be Jonathan Joseph at this point, and I don't think he ever will be. But so far this year, he has been a solid corner. Yeah, it sucks that that's all he is (at this point in his career), but he is young, and can still develop. Typically corners hit their stride late in their second year, and fully in their third year.

I've said it before on this board, and I'll say it again. People tend to remember the bad for many years. Hell, some people still think Cushing is a raging 'roid head that only had one good year because he was on the juice. That's proven to absolutely not be the case, in my opinion. With Kareem, people will always remember how overmatched he was his rookie year, and because of that, people think he's terrible. Kareem never should have been put in the position he was. From the day he was drafted, he was slotted as the number one corner in a horribly bad secondary. He received little to no technique coaching, and was in a position that would have resulted in failure pretty much no matter who you are. This year. Kareem has played halfway decent. I'm not saying he hasn't made mistakes at all, but he's been solid. And he's still improving. People are just content to bash him and say that he sucks because they already have him labeled as the worst draft pick ever, and think he'll be falling over in the Arena League in another year, and that is obviously not the case.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Well, I'm having a hard time with this poll, since I loved all of those picks.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The Watt pick was initially under fire, because Wade hadn't yet said that he was moving Mario from end. Before the draft, he had been talking Williams as being a Bruce Smith in his system....so it looked like they were drafting Watt as a backup instead of taking Fairley for NT.

No one disliked Watt as a player.

19. msn

msn Member

Not willing to give KJax any credit for improvement until he learns to turn the **** around. Dumbass.

20. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

The last 3 games, KJax has been better, imo?