1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which coding language offers strong foundation?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

I hate Fortran with a passion.

2. van chief

van chief Member

Ada, have fun

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Java or C#. Don't start with C++. There are too many dizzying subtleties in C++ for a novice.

1 person likes this.
  4. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

Thanks, I pretty proficient in C++ and C since they were the major work languages when I was in college. All in all, I've used about 10 different languages, mostly at an academic level.

5. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

And besides, most programmers that start off with higher level languages (Perl, PHP, to some extent even Java) have trouble learning how to be disciplined with strict typing, bounds checking and other such practices that help avoid bugs and security holes, compared to people who start off with C as a foundation. And to be honest, OOP is a concept, not a language construct. You CAN learn how to do OOP in C - C++ and Java just make it a lot easier because they're syntactically designed for it.

6. Prince

Prince Member

Fortran is for transexuals. :p

1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[​IMG]

:grin: I am a.out of here...!!!

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wow. Great, great list. Wish I could rep again; but I can't. :(
    Seems Java is not only the highest demand, but it also is the easiest to learn. (Considering there are so many resources to learn from...)

I tried C++ and the language just confuses the hell out of me. I've looked at some basic Java coding and some basic C++ coding and Java just seems to make more sense to me.

I think Java will be the best start for me since as many of you have said, switching coding languages is what I'm going to end up doing anyway and I want to get a easy starting point. Since structure is pretty similar all throughout.

Thanks for all the help guys.

AND...

What the hell is Fortran? :grin:
    UPDATE: Googled it. What the hell is that?!

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It is built for doing complex math. It's good for scientists to crunch numbers. All our Fortran users for a virtual memory overlay linker my old company wrote (pre-Windows 3.1) were scientists and professors. Matix arithmetic is very easy to do. For instance, it's one of the few languages that allows using arrays in arithmetic expressions.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Check out APL. I remember at my first "real job", that was the programming language that was being used. Coding by heiroglyphics.

11. yc324

yc324 Member

Python:
    - My company makes enterprise software and we use Python for our server code.
    - Reddit was built with a Python framework.

Ruby:
    - Spiceworks does IT management software.. they're a Rails shop.
    - Twitter was done with Rails, too.
    - Gowalla is a Rails shop.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd start with Python or Ruby. Code is way more readable imho and you can focus more on what you want your code to do instead of syntax.