1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Coach should we get to replace McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHARKLIN-SOUP, Apr 23, 2014.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

when jvg was coach, there weren't any players worth a daam on offense other than tmac and yao. shane was the 3rd scorer!!! and since he's not an offensive genius, there weren't gonna be many plays called.

2. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Bring in George Karl. Webber mentioned tonight something along the lines that the team needs to run some sort of play instead of playing this sort of playground basketball towards the end. He was right.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Really great post first of all. Its starting to kick in to me though are you sure Portland is just not the better prepared to win in the playoffs. I mean the only thing separated us was a tie breaker. Everybody is crying for mchale to make adjustments but what about holding the players accountable. You as a player cannot let your opponent go off for 40 back to back I don't care what you have to do. I got the feeling this series was over when they started talking about using the twin towers this game. We have not used TT since maybe game 10 in the season now come playoff time you use TT more than you have all year. Dwight and asik are just both getting into foul trouble. I know that's not mchale fault because he hadn't done it all year but now he's forced too because certain players aren't doing their job. Do what you been doing all year when you start having to make adjustments you lost already.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

JVG sucks because he couldn't win with juwon howard as the 6th man. /sarc

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have a winner!

The return of Herr Monocle.

Time for LES the JACKA$$ to mend fences with the Ruler and let him do his thing.
    NO JVG. NO SVG. No to Larry the mercenary Brown....10 years ago..yes, not now.

George Karl would be the only other guy I would even consider, but honestly I'll always have nightmares of him in front of that Seattle bench.

#85 Plowman, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  6. Asian Sensation

He even had Flyin Ryan Bowen and he still couldn't win.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Portland is definitely better prepared to win, but that all comes down to coaching. You're right about the stupidity and desperation of using the TT lineup. It didn't work earlier in the season(that win in Portland in November is fool's gold) and it's not working now. That's on McHale though. Why have we suddenly benched D-Mo, Daniels, and Hamilton in the playoffs? Why is our rotation down to 8?

As far as holding players accountable, he hasn't done that all season long. The reason we were complaining about the lack of defensive effort back in November and December is because we knew that it would create a mindset in these players that it's ok to halfass it out there. Why is anyone surprised that this mentality is coming back to bite them in the backside in the postseason?

8. treeman

treeman Member

I want JVG back. Our teams were tough and defensive-minded with him, he just didn't have the offensive pieces we have now.

1 person likes this.
  9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Serious question: does McHale actually do anything? All I've ever seen the guy do is still in his chair and look half confused when a bad call happens. Then he looks dumbfounded for about 20 seconds and sits back down. Then when they mic up the coach he tells his guys to push the pace while in the midst of getting torched defensively. Does the guy even believe in playing defense?

Seems like McHale doesn't actually do ANYTHING. Kind of like that guy on Office Space that got $hitcanned.

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And yet another first round exit with 60+ wins.

1 person likes this.
  11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Agreed. He is not a good coach. Without Howard, McHale would have been a terrible coach easily. We need to get very good coach like Rick Adelman or George Karl or Stan Van Gundy.

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

True. I just feel this is on everybody and everything just not mchale like everybody is saying. It could also be on our late season struggle too we didn't exactly come into this post season hot.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Fresh blood, no retreads, preferably a coach under 45. But the key is taking away the entitlement mentality, that you can half ass it and still get your shots. Lots of changes this offseason, and then 365 days of waiting to see if next year's team can do better than this years.

Want a real kick? The Rockets are likely to get bounced before the Mavs.

1 person likes this.
  14. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Lionel Hollins. Great coach

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, but who's responsible for the late season struggles? The injuries hurt us, no doubt. But when you're losing on the road to a D-League T'Wolves team and giving up 51 points to Corey Brewer(when the game has huge implications as HCA is still on the line), it's clear that the players were simply not prepared to show up. And that's on McHale.

And BTW, that's 3 consecutive late season collapses under this coach. It cost them a playoff spot in 2012. It cost them the 6th seed a year ago and a much more favorable matchup in the Denver Nuggets. And it nearly cost them HCA this season and will likely cost them a series that everyone favored them in.

16. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Bald Van Gundy for head coach
    Fat Van Gundy for assistant coach

1 person likes this.
  17. krnxsnoopy

Hey man, he was our Dirk stopper.

I still remember the day we found his kryptonite.

18. krnxsnoopy

Ah I just realized. Dwight drove SVG out of Orlando.

Yup... VG Bro's aren't coming here. lolll

19. Jt29

Jt29 Member

tinman will do a better job than mchale

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

That would be great, defense and a coach that is already familiar with Dwight.