1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Astros pitcher would you want in a must win?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Luckyazn, Sep 15, 2005.

?

Which Astros pitcher would you want?

1. Roy Oswalt (17-12 2.93)

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Roger Clemens (12-7 1.77)

67 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Andy Pettitte (16-9 2.43)

83 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I'm just wondering ....

If the Astros were in a WILD CARD 1 game playoff who would u want on the mound?

Roy Oswalt ( 17-12 2.93) could be another 20 game winner this yr.
    Roger Clemens ( 12-7 1.77) Astros best pitcher but lack runs support.
    Andy Pettitte ( 16-9 2.43) hottest pitcher since allstar break.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I would go with Andy right now.

3. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

Agreed. Andy is money this time of year.

4. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Big Game, Money Time.... I am going with Roger

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Mike Scott

6. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i voted roger, but andy is 'mr october' and roy o is looking good as usual... maybe start the rocket and bring the others in for relief?

7. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

1 love for ROY!

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

How great is it to have all 3 of these guys healthy?

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you could make a great argument for all three, but on this team, this season, i think it's easily andy pettite. for some reason we seem to get the job done with him on the mound and he can shut down batters with anyone.

10. Jester

Jester Contributing Member

Man this is tough for me to not go with Roger, but I have to as Pettitte has been on his game the second half of this season. I seem to recall that he has posted a 1.50 ERA and won 13 games during this stretch. Of the big three, he is the one who is most on top of his game.

11. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Although Petitte is my choice.

I would prefer to see Roy when dominant as the pitcher because I feel much more comfortable when ROY is on his game. You know no one can hit against him when he is hitting the corners and all his pitches are working perfectly.

All I know is that we are very lucky to have these pitchers as our regulars. We have a legit shot at winning everything with these three.

Compared to Reynolds, Lima and Hampton which was our previous regulars. What a difference.

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

With Roy going through periods of the dreaded dead arm and our offense's seemed refusal to score runs for Roger, I'd go with Andy. All things being equal my list would be Roger, Roy, Andy, but they're not equal.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its good to have options like this. I'm looking at the Yankees, and with all their money, they don't know if their big-game pitchers will even show up.

I liked Andy if its a must win, Roger if its a game 1, and Roy if its a game that you are attempting to "steal" (ie - you don't have to win it, but the series is virtually over if you do so).

14. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Well put, I have to agree with this.

Pugs

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd still say roger.

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I gotta go with Pettitte or Oswalt over Clemens because they both have an ability to throw a complete game, whereas Roger has not gone the distance in years. My vote would be for Pettitte

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Roy, one of the highest win percentages in baseball history.

18. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

When he's been healthy, Andy has made it look easy this year. Roger and Roy get into a bunch of jams, then get out of them, but Andy has just been mowing people down. His control is Maddux-like. Plus, he has tons of big game experience.

19. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Roger went the distance this year @ San Diego against Peavy. He didn't go the full 9 though because we lost 2-0 on the road. He's also gone at least 7 innings in 20 of his 30 starts. That sets it up for Wheeler/Qualls and Lidge. If the boys could have scored, say, 10 more runs for him this year he'd be neck and neck with Carpenter for the Cy. I'd have to go with Rocket. He's turned this into a baseball city.

20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think Roy is one of the best pitchers in the league during his career and he never gets mentioned when national sports channels talk about the best young pitchers in the league.

They ALWAYS talk about Prior and Wood from the Cubs, but Oswalt has much better numbers than they do (other than strikeouts) and he actually plays whole seasons without being on the 60 day DL.

I think by the end of his career, Oswalt wins 250+ games, has an ERA around 3.00 and MIGHT make the Hall. When his game is on...he has the most wicked stuff around.

All that being said...I got to go with the greatest living pitcher in the world in Roger Clemens for my big game...despite Oswalt being under-rated and Andy being Mr. October when it comes to pitching.