1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where was Yao when God was giving out "Selfishness"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Mar 8, 2006.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

When I say "Clutchness", I don't necessarily mean making game-winning baskets. I'm just referring to playing well in pressure situations. Playing well in the playoffs. Hakeem didn't make a whole lot of game winning shots, but he sure as hell elevated his game in the playoffs. In his title years, his playoff numbers were much better than his regular season numbers, and that is exactly what I mean by "Clutchness". Playing big in big spots, not just in the final seconds.

And RocksMillenium, can you honestly say that any of the guys you've mentioned are "Great" players. They all have a deficiency in something that prevented them from reaching the elite of the elite status (Kidd never developed a jumpshot, Ewing was slow and lumbering, with unimpressive footwork and post skills and got thoroughly outclassed by Dream on the biggest stage, KJ and the Suns had the Rockets beat 2-0 in back to back years and couldn't get it done, I'm still waiting for Mourning to actually perform a post move, and Eddie Jones is an absolutely laughable example. Has there ever been a player that came up smaller in big situations)

And Tango, Bill Russell was clutch. When it came down to Game 7's, nobody could stop him from willing his team to victory. At least that's what everybody says.

And another thing that I didn't really get across in my first post: If you have an overwhelming amount of one characteristic, you can have less of something else. Shaq is probably the most talented big man in 30 years, so that means that he can have less dedication to be a great player. It's certainly an inexact equation. But it certainly seems like all the "Great" players have some amounts of all three qualities; Talent, Dedication, and Clutchness. And most seem to be chock full of all three.

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Clearly he was in the "height" line and from the look of things made few trips though.... :cool:

Good post. I have always believed in his ability and it is really fun to watch him develop. If you haven't see the move "Year of the Yao" you need to as it offers some valuable insight into Yao's life.

Stay the course Yao! You will win the championship for Houston and China... :D

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Put one foot in front of the other
    And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor
    And soon you’ll be walking out the door

You never will get where you’re going
    If you never get up on your feet
    Come on, there’s a good tail wind blowing
    A fast walking man is hard to beat

And soon you’ll be walking cross the floor