1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where was Yao when God was giving out "Selfishness"?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Mar 8, 2006.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

He must have been cutting into the "Dedication" line:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3708437.html

Yes, it's another Yao thread here on Yaofans.net. But I just wanted to bring up a point that gets brushed aside sometimes. When you draft a player and project what he could potentially do with his physical abilities, a couple of determining factors that are unquantifiable. Dedication and the ability to perform in pressure situations (aka Clutchness) are two qualities that are just as important as talent in how a player will develop. And that's something that's almost impossible to judge in a young player.

Well in terms of Yao, I think it's pretty safe to say that we've hit the motherload where dedication is concerned. By every single account i've ever heard on the subject, this kid is putting more work and effort into improving his game than just about anyone else in the league. That is the difference, and that is why Yao will succeed. He's got 2/3rds of "It".

My new hypothesis is that "It", that undefineable quality that all great players have which separate them from the masses, is a combination of Talent, Dedication and Clutchness. Talent is a given. If you're 5'9 and slow, you're not going to do anything in the NBA. That's just a fact. And Clutchness is also a given. Every great player has been able to perform on the biggest stages and under the biggest pressure situations. But all of the great ones also tends to display a dedication to improvement that surpasses their mortal peers.

Bird, and Jordan had huge reputations for dedication. Hakeem had it where he would come up with a new move every offseason. Dedication is the reason why Barkley never won a ring, while Clutchness was Karl Malone's downfall. And in terms of Talent, there's any number of generic examples of guys that had the guts and heart, but not the talent to be great. It's my theory that you need all three to have, "It". And while Yao may or may not have the clutchness necessary to be a great player, he certainly has the dedication, and the talent.

Talent-wise, Yao is massive, strong, with a big base, great shooting touch and vision. And dedication-wise he could very well be the best in the business right now. With those two qualities, Yao can certainly be an extremely good player. No doubt about it, he can develop into a top 5 big man in the league, if he isn't there already (which I think he is). The next step is clutchness. Can Yao perform under pressure. Can he elevate, or at least maintain, his level of play on the biggest stage. That is the only thing missing.

Can he continue to play well with T-mac out and all the focus turned to him. Can he keep performing and helping this team win, when we have such a small margin for error before we get knocked out of the playoffs. And if/when we make the playoffs, can Yao rise to the occasion and lead us to victory on the biggest stages. That is the only obstacle separating Yao from greatness. And it's a question that I will enjoy finding out the answer to.*

* Even if Yao doesn't have "It", his dedication will take him VERY far. I'm sure of it. He's going to continue to refine and improve his game every year until he retires. This guy is the Real Deal, and the Rockets are fortunate to have him.

2. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

good post man, well written.

3. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Francis said he would give it to Yao, then he dribbled Yao's selfishness for 23 seconds then turned it over.

4. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

That's a great post and it makes me think that all of our worries about Yao extending himself too much for his national team are shortsighted. It is just that sort dedication and leadership role that he brings to the Rockets and playing for his country will only enhance those qaulities. Sure, I would like to see him get more rest (and we are seeing the benefits of it right now), but a guy that works as hard as Yao does is a great example to everybody and should applauded.

5. user

user Member

JVG read too much into it. Yao just wanted to seat in the front at the coaches' section. Didn't they setup the business class seats at the front of the team plane too? :cool:

It is a nice way to get there, though: "Hey coach, may I review the film with you at the business class section?"

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

There have been plenty of players that have been dedicated and/or clutch but didn't win a ring. Patrick Ewing, Kevin Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Reggie Miller, Eddie Jones, Jason Kidd, John Stockton, etc. So using that as a way to rip players that didn't win a ring is ridiculous.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

great post m_cable, although the thread title is not related at all, unless of course Yao was in the queue for a double serve of dedication :p

8. Houston22

Houston22 Member

In China.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Another moment in the Yao legend. Yao was trying to volunteer to "fly coach" to save the team money, and they misunderstood him.

10. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

Good, well thought out views. Props for putting together a quality post! You took the time to think about it and it shows.

I differ in opinion regarding your theory of qualities that separate the greats from the masses.

IMHO - First I can't see how the NBA greats had all 3 qualities. For instance if "clutchness" was a necessary ingredient then that would eliminate players like Bill Russell and Dr. J.

2nd my list would differ (I haven't really thought about what would be on my comprehensive list) e.g- dominance a la Wilt Chamberlain, adaptability / ability to improve a la MJ developing an outside jumper, ability to make your team better a la Magic Johnson would be few of the things I would add to my list.

11. beerghost

beerghost Contributing Member

Na~, that doesn't explain it. See, I was in China at the time too, I got plenty of those.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

QUOTE=Miguel]Where was Yao when God was giving out "Selfishness"?

Francis said he would give it to Yao, then he dribbled Yao's selfishness for 23 seconds then turned it over.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

14. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Very good analysis and I've always said something similair myself. When a guy has "it" you struck gold.

(as an aside, that is why I beleive the Texans need to take a chance on Vince Young. Find "it" is very hard an VYoung has demonstrated at an early age that he has the athleticism and smarts to take it to the next level. Trade Carr for a good offensive line and chance Young.)

Yao may never be our goto guy in the last 2 minutes of a close game. Dream wasn't necessarily "clutch." Before you rip me, think back. I remember huge shots by Maxwell, Horry, Kenny, Mario, Cassell, Clyde, etc.

The one huge "clutch" play I remember from Dream was that defensive play on John Starks.

Offensively, I remember Dream as a beast for 46 minutes but in close games he came up short often considering he was our go-to guy. But Dream learned how to attrack triple teams and pass out well. He could still affect the game. We had "clutch" outside shooters that would knock down those last second shots.

So Yao just needs to get us there and we need some "clutch" guys around us.

Unfortunately, I don't see any of our guys like Wesley or Howard as too clutch. Rafer seems like he may have some potential but I haven't seen it yet. TMac is the ONLY guy that is reliable inside of 2 minutes but his shot is off right now.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think Yao does have "it". He's just now starting to rise to the elite though, so he hasn't really been able to showcase it. But if you will look back to those first couple of years, and I know this is a limited example, but he always came to play and performed well against Shaq. He definitely has a sense for handling things when the magnitude of the situation is high...as we have seen with him demanding the ball more lately.

On a sidenote, I'm curious to see...how many of you think Tim Duncan has "it"?

I really don't think he does, but he's so sound fundamentally and plays with his head...I think that's the reason he's won championships.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Where was Yao? He gave that opptunity unselfishly to his buddy. See timing was a problem.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I hear the attendent at the business class section is pretty hot too. :p

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Honestly.. I wasn't sure giving Yao the max was the smartest thing to do. I didn't think aggressiveness was something that could just click on with a player, you either are or you aren't.

Right now is one of the proudest moments I've had being a Rockets fan, and it has nothing to do with our record obviously. Suddenly, missing the playoffs just doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Yao has been outright AMAZING -- a TRUE superstar. If it took a year of injuries and missing the playoffs to wake up Yao - then I'm all for it. I am extremely proud of the progress he's made, despite all the obstacles and criticism. Houston fans should feel extremely lucky to have a player of his dedication and class.

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If "clutch shot" means the final shot that wins the game for your team, Dream was undoubtedly Da Man in the game one of the '94-'95 NBA finals against Orlando Magics when he tipped in a missed shot by Clyde.

If being "clutch" means the play invariably goes to you whenever score is tight late in the game, then Dream is also no short of heroics time after time. As NBC's color commentator in NBA playoffs during the '90s, Bill Walton would always cry out loud "just throw the ball to Olajuwon!" when Rockets were in nail-biting battles with the opponent teams, and he was mostly right.

20. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

See, this is what makes me hate the yao haters more. This is the quintessential attitude you want players in the NBA to have. I get the feeling that people that dislike Yao hate him for what he reveals many other NBA players really are. It's nice for a change to see the good guy actually succeed at what he's doing.