1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where to in Mexico can Americans move? 300 skulls found in drug-war graves in Veracruz state

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think I've already made my point: having a large (sometimes unrestricted) perpetual unidirectional flow of people is not a good thing. It is an unfair practice that offers no ability for the other set of people to reciprocate. I would argue that immigration quotas based on the ability of Americans to reciprocate is absolutely more fair than whatever is the current system.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"... except only in numbers that are reciprocated.

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you even know what the current system is. The United States relative to most European nations is far more merit based in their immigration policy. You better have some skill(be a good student, have a discernible skill or at the very least have a strong connection like a sibling as a US citizen).

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Your idea... immediately get rid of refugee. No American want to immigrant into Vietnam during and shortly after the war. Same with Syria. But because of your quotas idea, USA should not have accepted any refugee from Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Syria or anywhere. Of course, it's mostly from war torn countries, or countries with ruthless dictator. Pretty careless for people suffering - inhuman behavior.

Setting inhuman behavior aside, immigration is a net positive to the US. As a whole, the US has benefit from it. But maybe you aren't talking about that when you said "fair".

Define fair? Fair to and of what? I don't think you simply want a balance # scale, or do you? What's your real intention?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Are you ignorant about American history? Do you not think there hasn't been terrible atrocities committed on American soil? Do you not think corruption was a big part of American history and is still strong today? Those immigrants that came over and essentially built this country were murdered and brutally put down when they tried to organize labor. Look up Pinkerton to learn about how they enforced the railroads interest.

Mexico's current situation is directly related to US drug policies.

Your problem is that you just aren't objective enough to understand the world around you.

#25 dmoneybangbang, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. dmoneybangbang

"Reciprocity" is all the rage on right wing websites.

It's also amusing that weak labor laws, more often than not championed by Conservatives contribute to illegal immigration. Hard to hire illegals with tough labor laws..... You were sold out by your own political ideology ironically and now you have no choice but to move further down the extreme right rabbit hole.

Why isn't it a good thing? Why are they obligated to reciprocate?

7. dmoneybangbang

I think it's been mentioned but there are approximately 9 million, non-military Americans living abroad.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mexico is a large country and there are certainly lawless parts that tourists shouldn't visit. That said, Mexicans from places like Mexico City likely don't visit there either for the same reasons.

I was just in San Miguel de Allende a few weeks ago. It was lovely and has a large expat population. I was in Mexico City last November and found it to be an awesome, hospitable place. I never once felt unsafe in either location. So, to answer your question, those are two perfectly safe places to visit and even live.

I'd argue that Mexico's problem with violence is exacerbated by hardline drug policy. As long as our demand for drugs eclipses other countries, and Mexico is the country on the doorstep of that demand, there will always be a violent black market to satisfy it. If the artificial value of drugs was deflated through decriminalization, the incentive in Mexico to participate in the trade would disappear.

Pancho Villa's actions are no more relevant to this era's problems than Santa Anna's.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't really see Mexico as a cesspool of violence and corruption at all. They've historically had problems with corruption which isn't gone, and they currently have a problem with cartel violence. But, I see Mexico as a country that has successfully reformed itself to set a base for rapid growth and modernization, which should help the violence and corruption problems. They've made themselves into a legitimate multi-party democracy. And they've reversed probably the most problematic choice of the Revolution, to nationalize the energy industry. If they can steer this right, Mexico can rapidly become a much better place. And having a strong neighbor (at least one that can't be stronger than us) is good for the US and we should encourage it. We can do that by increasing the connections between the countries and making it easier for investment, commerce, and labor to cross the border. That's why it's particularly unfortunate that we elected a president that wants to make all of those things harder. If you want reciprocity, it's coming. American companies have an opportunity to make investments and expansions into Mexico. Mexican prosperity will make it a more attractive place for Americans to consider for living, working, or visiting. Reciprocity is a ridiculous sort of tit-for-tat. Our self-interest properly understood lies in our continuing to help Mexico become a success so that they can interact as a full partner.

10. Cohete Rojo

Straw man.

11. Cohete Rojo

Don't sit there and tell me that the 7+ million illegal immigrants "have a discernible skill" and that is why they are here within the country. Same would apply to many other legal immigrants. I don't think that argument is going to hold up. Besides, if these people have "discernible skills" why not use that skill within their country?

12. Cohete Rojo

No one is denying the US hasn't had problems or periods of extraordinary violence and corruption. However, today, I don't see it.

You don't know what is my political ideology. Quit stereotyping.

13. dmoneybangbang

And Mexico's current problems are directly related to US drug policies. Mexico was a relatively stable country just two decades ago before we shut down the direct overseas illegal drug distribution from Columbia and Venezuela, along with the islands in between.

It's certainly right of center. And you can't respond to anything else I wrote.... got it.

14. AkeemTheDreem86

You start a thread, lot's people respond intelligently and clearly, and you completely ignore them.

Why?

15. AkeemTheDreem86

Did the Irish "reciprocate"? Nazi Germany? Did Europe "reciprocate" anything to the Native Americans?

If every country "reciprocated" for all their immigrants, America would have a population of zero. You realize that, right?

16. Cohete Rojo

Reciprocating is not what is being discussed here. The ability to do so, however, is being presented for discussion. You do realize that, right?

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

It isn't?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Rojo is going to Rojo. Remind self to ignore from now on.

19. AkeemTheDreem86

It's already been stated in this thread that Mexico tops the list of US expats. How exactly do we not have the "ability to reciprocate"?

20. AkeemTheDreem86

If you go to the Yucatan beaches this month (or any time, really), I think you'll find plenty of American "reciprocity".

Question: would you rather move to Cancun or Ireland during the potato famine?