1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where oh where have my Rockets gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jan 5, 2005.

1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Oh Rudy, I miss you so so much you just don't know!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

2. Toast

Toast Member

I dunno, man. The way people cheered TMac when he made his first public appearance as a Rocket makes me think a majority of Rockets fans feel at least SOME connection to the current Rockets. We also have much love for Yao.

I root, root, root for these guys. Even if sometimes it's painful to watch 'em.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I understand the process of identification and connection with certain players, but the Rockets are not specific players but an organization and a tradition. I loved Rudy, Calvin, Moses, Elvin, Hakeem, Drexler, and all the great players the Rockets have had. I had a very hard time identifying with the Francis Rockets, they were soooo, well dumb. That was the most difficult era for me. I think the team is on the right road again. I could not identify with Francis at all, I really disliked his style of play. The Francis era was like a tempest in a teapot, sound and fury signifying nothing.

Summary: I feel you pain, sorta.

4. jello77

jello77 Contributing Member

OMR, you're taking a lot of crap for this, but i completley agree with you. somehow, even with the overhaul of the hakeem era, the francis and mobley era we sucked but i felt a connection with the team. i felt like it was MY TEAM. this team is better and has the potential to be better than we've been in a very long time. this isn't 'my' team. i root for this team, but i don't feel it as much in my heart. t-mac is growing on me fast but i dont really feel like these other guys(excluding MAYBE yao) are rockets, but rather just hired guns here for a short stay and then will leave.

this is my team, but its not my team. i could see if you don't agree with me, but if you don't understand what i'm talking about, then you've never had a team that was really yours.

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Good Point.

Between the 1986 Finals team and 1990 so many players would come and go I could never remember them all. I just remember Hakeem and a lot of scrubs.

In 1990 this was our roster that played .500 Basketball.

Hakeem Olajuwon and Otis Thorpe were our best players.

We acquired Vernon Maxwell during the season for some cash. He was one of the first pieces we picked up to add to our core.

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Otis Thorpe
    Buck Johnson
    Mitchell Wiggins
    Sleepy Floyd
    Mike Woodson
    Vernon Maxwell
    John Lucas
    Anthony Bowie
    Derrick Chievous
    Larry Smith
    Byron Dinkins
    Adrian Caldwell
    Lewis Lloyd
    Tim McCormick
    Chuck Nevitt

Does anyone have a special connection with that 1990 team? I had forgotten that Mitch Wiggins and Lewis Lloyd had returned from drug suspension. John Lucas was way past his prime.

We picked up Kenny Smith the next year. Three years later we drafted Robert Horry. Then came Sam and Mario.

1994 Houston Rockets

Hakeem Olajuwon
    Otis Thorpe
    Vernon Maxwell
    Kenny Smith
    Robert Horry
    Mario Elie
    Sam Cassell
    Scott Brooks
    Carl Herrera
    Matt Bullard
    Eric Riley
    Richard Petruska
    Chris Jent
    Larry Robinson
    Earl Cureton

There are a lot of familiar names on that team.

6. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Good post, winning will have an immediate impact, but I understand what Old Man Rock was saying. I remember the first time I saw Matt Bullard start for the Rox my dad and I joked about who the hell is this clown - man things have gotten bad, but after the Championships I don't know any Rox fan that doesn't love the guy. And remember the Drexler for OT trade, I was pissed and excited all at the same time, kind of like the T-mac trade, but winning is a cure all. :D

Same with the Wesley trade, I didn't like it at first, but if we keep winning then I'll just keep my mouth shut and eat some crow.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Thanks Jello for your clarity and support. That is exactly the point I was trying to make. I've been a Rockets fan since they drafted Elvin Hayes. And I was so excited when they moved to Houston. My wife and I cried tears of joy when they won their first championship. I even almost named my first son, Akeem (No H then). Over the years they have frustrated me, dissapointed me, pissed me off but never did they even come close to making me not want to root for them. I was always proud to be a Rocket fan! They were my team through thick and thin and nothing could change that. I have to say that isn't the case now. This is the least I felt connected with any Rockets team in all those years.

I know part of it's the firing of Rudy T and the way they did it (classless), or the hiring of JVG and ex-Knick who I never cared for but it's more than that. Maybe time will change and maybe the Rockets will do something to endear themselves to me... Someone said there are no more lifers in the league and I don't expect but could we at least have a few players that make it past the trading deadline.

Anyway all you who don't agree say what you will... it's obvious not many feel likewise but remember this is just one opinion from an Old Rocket Fan.

8. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

As long as they still wear that Rockets across their chest...

DON"T MATTER!

They still my team...or for the BBS...OUR TEAM...

Houston Rockets 4 life...

9. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Dude, its like you posted it while i was thinking it. I've felt the same way lately, like its a foreign team i was watching. When we used to lose in the steve and cat days, i would just feel a lot more pain for some reason, cause MY team lost......now it still hurts but not as much cause i know it means one more loss in JVG's column, and one loss closer to him being fired.......i know i shouldnt feel like that but i do........

I still like the Rocks, but dont love em like 2 years ago's lottery team. The only player i feel ANY connection to is Mo.....and to a certain extent Yao, but he's only been here 2 years......and now Mo will be traded too.....its just sad man.....

But dont for a second feel like u r the only one who feels wierd about this team.........We are still fans, trunt me, just a little lost :cool:

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Well, with most of the Rockets' players in recent years, they were drafted or phased in amongst the rest of the familiar team as others were phased out. This season, only Yao and Mo remain from LAST YEAR'S TEAM! This really is a brand-new team that had Rockets Red slapped on them and were told to go out and play. Two of our starters basically just arrived last month!

Additionally, there's been a lot of turnover within the rotation. We came into the season believe Charlie Ward would be a big part of this team, and now it's unclear if we'll ever see him again. So, it's understandable that this team feels unfamiliar; I felt that way myself at the start of the season. But I like the way things have been clicking the last few games. Its looks like the collection of players out there is starting to FEEL like they are a team while they're playing with one another. That makes it more fun to watch. And the wins haven't hurt...

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This thread reminds me of that Simpsons episode with Bart and President Bush, Sr.

Bart: Did your Secret Service goons ever whack anyone, George?
    George: You know, in my day, little boys didn't call their elders by their first name.
    Bart: Yeah? Well, welcome to the 20th century, George.

:D

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The Rockets are still my team and I reserve the right to not agree with everything they do including firing Rudy and hiring JVG and you don't have to agree with me... but don't use some stupid cartoon reference to passive agressively try and attack. You know there actually is some reason to want JVG's head. It's not all based on personal dislike.