1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where is a good cheap tex mex restaurant in Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cranberry_Juice, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Cranberry_Juice

I had the fajitas, tasted bland. It got to the point that I went ahead and poured all of the hot butter over the fajitas.Still bland.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You need to see a doctor. Your taste buds are shot.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

Ninfas including the one on Nav was bought out by a group of guys including Carlos Mencia. They own the name Ninfas and have changed some things around.

El Tiempo is owned and run by Mama Ninfa's children and grandchildren. All of Mama Ninfas recipes. Why do you think they have a giant picture of her inside the restaurant

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This is a good one.

Lupe's, Chuy's of course are good ones

#84 sammy, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Inner-loopers?

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think you have a medical condition, seek a doctor immediately

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

^^
    Damn again, that was ment for cranberry

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nah, there are these people few know about, it's called Spring Branchers, they're the worst kind of people. Their idea of vacation is the outlet mall in Katy or their grandparents "ranch" in Navasota.

9. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

You're wrong.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Good Company Taqueria has some of the best tex-mex that I've had. Their tacos are just really good and all of their ingredients are really fresh.

11. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

LOL I'm a Spring Brancher! Never had Gallo though but I pass by it all the time coming home from work. Doesn't look appealling just from the exterior decor but if it's cheap and good, I'll have to give it a whirl one day.

12. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

The Original Ninfa's on Nav isn't associated with the other Ninfa's. It's owned by the same group who owns Antone's sandwiches since 2006. The other franchises were bought by the group who owns Serranos. To complicate matters more, the Ninfa's name was licensed to multiple independently-owned restaurants in Houston, a number of which were sold to Carlos Mencia's group and renamed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninfa's#2000s_and_present

#92 bejezuz, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  13. REEKO_HTOWN

Point is its not Ninfa's anymore. Maybe by name but not by spirit. That's why they built El Tiempo next to it.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It's true that it's not owned by the family anymore, but the original Ninfa's on Nav is still fantastic. The other Ninfa's are owned by Mencia and are terrible.

My favorites are El Tiempo and Ninfa's on Nav. If you don't like either of those, then you're dead inside.

15. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Spanish Flower
    Andy's; Columbian Enchiladas, 3 enchiladas with 2 fried eggs on top=explosive deuce the next day!
    Lopez

16. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

calm down

17. REEKO_HTOWN

No worries. People from Katy have evacuated. They're safe.

18. Buck Turgidson

It's truly disturbing to me how hard it is to find even decent tex-mex in the Hill Country. I swear I could hire 3 ladies from Teo's to run a kitchen (so happy to see all the love in this thread!) and make bank up here.

A standing requirement on my monthly trips to SA to visit friends/family is a fajita dinner, and you're right, I've yet to find a good place in Austin.

19. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I like Molina's a lot; been going there forever. A less texmexy spot would be Alma Latina on Shepherd, good prices and delicious food.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Los Cucos is always our first choice. I think their menu is the best overall. It doesn't hurt that we know the manager and she always gives us margaritas for 1.50 whether it happy hour or not. :)

But if I want some really good fish tacos, it's all about Chuy's. Best fish tacos I've ever had. And that ranch dip...you can just start an IV full of it for me.

El Rey? Driven by that place before and it's always crowded.