1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where have you gone, Marcus Morris?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Do know if this lineup get rebound or how do you look that up.

2. IronicMan

IronicMan Member

Scola wouldn't have been able to run with this team. He would only be useful if the Rockets' offense was stuck in the half court for the majority of the game.

Very, very small sample size, but you will lose some of the rebounding ability with that lineup. In return, they shot with much higher efficiency.

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213HOU2.HTM

3. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Thanks. Just wonder any site had actually numbers vs %.

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

Morris was great back when McHale was setting actual picks with Asik, Smith, Lin, and Harden and Morris was getting wide open 3s in rhythm. Then McHale decided to "innovate" with 2Pat's return and started setting "fake picks" where the picker releases before the ball carrier even gets to use the pick. Morris became just another bailout outlet when these failed fake picks, like every other Rocket, including Uglas. Notice how Uglas has gone back to his Uglas ways now that he's not getting wide open shots, either. It used to be only 2Pat sets these fake picks, now McHale has gotten Asik and Smith to set fake picks, too. That just needs to stop and we'll be fine.

5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Clutch you do realize most of the responses to threads are in the same manner that dude responded to ur thread......the immaturity and flat out idiotic responses to solid threads is highly annoying. I think people just try to be funny because that is the easiest way to get rep points so they leave dumb responses.

6. Garner

Garner Member

Doesn't count.

Parsons is McHales son.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Scola runs. He's not fast but he runs. When there is a fast break, he's always a part of it. He would have fitted right in with this offense.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We essentially have 4 guys (Morris, Pat, Dmo, Jones) suitable for the backup role but none ready or capable to be the full time starter.

So the options are clear:

1) Trade / Sign a guy that is

2) Wait for one to break out of the pack

In fairness, Jones and Dmo havent gotten the opportunity to be in the pack much less break out of it. Morris and Pat both show stretches where they seem ready to anchor the position, then slide.

My personal opinion is sell on Pat or Morris if a decent opportunity arises. While neither has a lot of value, they both have more than they did last year. So in that light, we might be selling high.

Not even counting White (should I be?), we have too many folks at the same spot and too little playing time to see more than 2 of them at a time given enough minutes to really evaluate them. Morris and Pat were the logical choices to be that 2. While it hasnt been a disaster, the prognosis at the moment is mixed. Neither is bad enough to flush for nothing, but neither is good enough not to question what our alternatives are.

My feeling is we would ahead of the game to get a late 1st plus a scrub for either Pat or Morris. A early 2nd rounder plus a scrub is more likely their value. Given our draft pick depletion in the Harden trade, I would probably take even the later of the above probabilities. Dmo or Jones subbing for either one of them (Morris, Pat) wouldnt be much of a drop off. And even a 2nd rounder might bring a return later or help in a trade scenario.

The only question left is whether more time would show us something we havent seen in Pat or Morris. Seems a little early to say this about Morris, but if he has caught the eye of anyone, id be open to saying goodbye. My feeling is Pat's value may never be higher than now. The only excuse I can think of to keep starting him is that he could be useful in a Milsap type deal. Well, the other excuse is no one else is better than he at the moment unless you take Parsons playing the 4 into account.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Scola trailed more than he runs ahead or with the other guys

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

PFs are supposed to be the trailer in a fastbreak. You don't expect your big men to run ahead of the pack when they need to secure the defensive rebounds.

11. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

KAAAAAAAAHHNNNN.... Would you be willing to part with Kevin love?

12. Zergling

Zergling Member

Absolutely mind-boggling that Motiejunas can't get playing time when our PF production is this pathetic.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

D-Mo just needs to keep hitting the weight room, and he'll be okay.

But what's Terrence Jones' problem? Is it his shot? I say give him some time.

And did I mention - let the PF's post up some!!!

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post... Unless you are Dirk Nowitzki, slipping picks is very annoying If it is done all the time.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Where did you get these stats from?

16. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

Kevin just refuses to play any rookies...

Morey needs to trade Patterson.

17. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

0-5 tonight, all 5 shots from three-point range. Only played 11 minutes.... no assists, no steals, no blocks, no rebounds. 6.0 points and 3.6 boards on the month.

Patterson was possibly worse.... 3 points and 2 boards in 25 minutes (1-8 shooting).

Rockets getting very little out of their power forward spot, where during their run, they were getting some efficient scoring. I hope the Rockets don't panic and use several of their assets for a decent upgrade that they'll have to use significant cap room on this offseason... but I do think, with Motiejunas and Jones in the minors sort of speak, that one of these two is a strong candidate to be dealt next month.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If only we are so lucky that a team would want either Patterson or Morris at this point.

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be fair, much of their non-existence has to do with the offensive system that shoves them in the corner to do nothing but hit 3's. Cant say that D-Mo or Jones would be doing any better given the assignment on offense.

Not that I blame the coaches or front office for installing a system that makes the PF spot irrelevant on offense. I mean you do have James Harden and Jeremy Lin in the back court. However, they could install some new sets to get the bigs better looks on offense from the mid range.

The Rockets do have some questions to answer with the PF position. Do you go out and spring for a Channing Frye or Ryan Anderson type to fit the roll, or actually just go best player available that fits the youth movement, and install different sets into their offense that aren't suited for open driving lanes?

The one reason why I am sort of hoping D-Mo gets some time(despite what he gives up on defense) is because his ability to score down low might force the coaches to add some versatility to the offense.