1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where have we heard this before ...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Honey Bear, Dec 3, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This will be funny to print out and show to your kids one day in your hover car as you drop them at school.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The issue is
    They don't give such caveats for . . . the OTHER person of choice to profile

While it seems that people looking like the picture can have a 'legitimate reason' to do what they do [buying guns, etc]
    It seems there is no wiggle room for 'THOSE PEOPLE'

Its all about the OTHERing of certain people while preserving the Privilege of another group of people doing similar actions

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There isn't? I thought the Islamist murderers in this current attack had bought their guns legally? How did they do that without wiggle room?

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was referring to the people in this thread

Rocket River

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Personally I don't care for Islam

It's a filthy religion filled with despicable people and one that condones terrorism

If I see any Muslim being suspicious I either take it up to them or report them. I don't care for being a racisht

6. myco

myco Contributing Member

I wish more racists would not care for being racists, but I'm not sure what that has to do with Islam.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Please explain

8. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Donny Deutsch is a liberal’s liberal.

He’s a guy who’s boots I’d like to shine once Fueher Obama finally gives the signal and we goose-step down the highways and byways of America, waving Quran in one hand and our WIC cards and free cellphones in the other, reciting our favorite passages from Dreams Of My Father while ushering in the thousand years of the new…

…oh wait, sorry…wrong rant….

…ah, here it is….

Deutsch was on some morning talk show (I’m afraid I can’t remember which), but I believe it was about the time of the whole “stop-and-frisk” furor in New York. During a particular segment, much was made of the state of the city of New York crime-wise, from the mid-1970’s until the present day, and of how much safer (relatively speaking) the city had become over that time.

Long story short…Deutsch eventually said (paraphrasing) that if he had to choose between “inconveniencing” some black people (who he continually said he empathized and sympathized with), and keeping his young daughter safe…keeping in mind, he said again, that he remembered a much less safer period in New York City…

..well, he was sorry, but he’d choose the inconvenience.

That’s about as honest a statement from a “liberal” public figure on a subject like that as I’ve ever heard.

I’ve mentioned to you, in particular, I think, Rocket River…because we’re not so unalike in our thinking (Magneto & Professor X, you said? Very Nice!) as you might be inclined to think…but I don’t believe any methodology can accurately adhere itself to unclarified goals.

I said before that my own personal feeling on “race” (black/white) relations has always had a curious, but ominously persistent posture: in the movie 12 Years a Slave (the best example I can offer, since it is in many ways a neutral, apolitical portrayal), there was this continuing motif of white people arguing over the fates of black people, and the visual was of the arguing white people framing the black person in the scene…essentially the image of a black person being smack-dab in the middle of a debate about his/her fate in which s/he had no agency whatsoever. I won’t go as far as to say this was perhaps unintentional by the director, but it was certainly a constant.

And, for me, all on its own, riveting. Because it was ultimately about making a choice between two bad ones: whether to die horribly now, or live miserably for just a little while longer. Neither option, of which, ultimately meant anything other than an abiding contempt for the individual in question…just whether or not that contempt was benign or overt.

I believe what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. said in one of his speeches during the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s: “…give us the vote, and we will take care of ourselves…”

It acknowledges both that Black people had to be responsible for themselves, and that that responsibility could no longer be entrusted to those who had consistently shown no regard for us, and had used the “law” or legality of something to perpetuate that sentiment. And it also affirms that our place as citizens in this country stems from the core belief and conviction that the law is what enables and emboldens us and ultimately legitimizes us…

I laugh, personally, at anybody being called a “…liberal Negro…” or a “…black conservative…”…as if somehow those titles in and of themselves aren’t just another way of deciding where exactly to stand in the middle of a “conversation” or “debate” between two ideas that have in common the same basic idea…that black people are less than human, and it’s just a matter of deciding whether we should be treated like domesticated pets or wild game.
    That’s why you get southern conservatives arguing about how racist the North is, too…the classic “I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I” response…

…or why equivalencies are drawn about the value of all lives now, when routinely voting against their own interests has resulted in revealing that they were willing to sacrifice a few white lives as long as it meant keeping the n!99ers under control by whatever count…

Is that a broad brush? Only because I couldn’t find a broader one. Sometimes you do that to make a point, I’ve gathered, from hanging around here from time to time.

Is it the truth? Perhaps contextually, but not holistically. And that’s the good news.

If anything good can be said of making people do things that they otherwise would not do (integration―forced bussing, stuff like that), it would be that there is finally a generation in this country that has lived without those societal walls existing for both in any meaningful sense, and have a much better and honest perspective on what is wrong and what might be done to fix some of it.

My son’s fiancée is adorable, and her parents are Polish (2nd generation, I think). Every time I see her, I wish to God I could get those Polack cracks Archie Bunker used to make to Meathead Mike Stivic out of my head…but it’s because she’s so sweet (and that my son seems enamored of her), that any of those cracks don’t make it out of my mouth…in jest or otherwise.

I believe, Rocket River, that if there is anything that Black people need to do with respect to race relations, it’s to recognize two things:

1. We have some legal recourses now that we did not have 50 years ago…and have been negligent in defending and preserving those recourses to the effect that now, the very agencies that we needed to change to help secure the foundation for building better lives for ourselves (instead of trying to chase around and look and wonder and complain about not being welcome or accepted in places and by people who have never been anything but candid about that sentiment) are at odds with us, and us with them. We need to support and defend the law...because at the end of the day, it’s the only reason any of us can say things are better now (if only marginally) than they were just a half-century ago…and
    2. We need to listen to people. We still seem to need to be “heard” by people who have chosen not to listen to us…for various reasons, but none that are relevant. A question answered is a question asked, to me. Looking at the way some “liberal” cities are “segregated”…there isn’t much difference between that and what you might see in other southern rural areas…different ways of saying the same thing, in essence. That’s why you see people playing a gotcha-game with this issue oftentimes…like whack-a-mole or checkers or something. And as black people in this country, we never should have played along with that, because we never had enough pieces to play the board in the first place. Our “rights” were always arbitrary in many eyes…even today…and would likely largely be so still if left to those for whom those “rights” holds no significance, other than as a target for their perpetual contempt. And we don’t need any more targets on our backs.
    Best of a bad choice?

I don’t mind Donny Deutsch’s candor. It was contextual. It was, I believe, sincere. It was empathetic, and therefore to me, very human. And because of that context and sincerity and empathy, I’m comfortable in saying it was truthful. Truth, for me, is the way forward. Not our fears or our bitterness.

I admire that candor the way I admired Mark Cuban’s, when that whole mess about Donald Sterling finally came to a head.

I appreciate candor, myself, Rocket River. Particularly as an avenue toward truth. Eloquence of rhetoric (which I must admit to having a fondness and aptitude for―Seig Heil, everybody!), is simply that…and often, not so simply, an avenue to ruin. And certainly not anything to be proud of.

“…and the band was playing as the ship went down…” or something like that…

People who can acknowledge their faults and biases and prejudices, and not let that stop them from recognizing those things are problems and find a way to work together to correct them, are all the help I’d ever look for or expect or need.

What was that Michael Caine said in that last Batman movie…?
    “…some men just want to watch the world burn…”

1 person likes this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

hitler said the same thing about jews.

sounds like a nice final solution you got there. how about a crescent sun logo patch to put them on blast even more.

just like in nazi germany when they would report the jews and urged citizens to do same. I wonder what solution your grandparents would have lobbied for? ask them and report back ..danke

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. Nook

Nook Member

Hey! Look over here! Look at this person, they did something wrong!!! Don't worry about Fundamentalist Islamists.... Nothing to see.... Look over here at this Western w**** woman!!