1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Timberwolves bowing out without a fight? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Where have all the insiders gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Oelipere was the biggest Yao basher, hell even after we got him and he did well, OP still never said a thing. "Insider"? I never saw a single post of his that was legit, meaning it led to something that 'actually' happened. Maybe he said some stuff that gave him some insider status before I came on the board in 01'. I don't know. Here's what the 'insider' said about Yao.

2. boki94eva

boki94eva Member

Wow, are you always this riled up about BBS postings? All he's trying to do is make the BBS more enjoyable, and you gotta jump down his throat like he punched your mother? Maybe you should put down the pork rinds and the Mountain Dew and step away from the computer for a while.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Just how close did Yao take us to the playoffs this past season?
    You could easily make an argument that he was right, based on your Popeye quote. None of our "insiders" have ever been right all of the time, or even close. But they have been right often enough to justify their unasked for status. In my opinion.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Within 1 game.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

1) One of 2 people to break the Steve Francis trade if I recall correctly.

2) Told us about the trade for EG before it was announced.

The man may or may not like Yao. That's just his opinion. So what?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I just think that a lot of the insiders probably had ties to Rudy's regime, and maybe many of them are unsure of their job right now.

They will come back...but the new regime probably is still formulating their plan on what to do...

Ah well.....I too want some inside dope, but begging for it here won't help.

DD

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Your giving that credit to Yao?
    Based on his performance the last part of the season, I wouldn't.

I don't want to derail the thread... I'm wondering where they are myself... but yao hit the "wall" with a thud you could hear in El Paso. I felt it in Austin while it was radiating out into the countryside.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

There was a stretch of maybe 15-20 games where he averaged double doubles many of which we would have not won without him.

How many double doubles did Kelvin Cato have the year before?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This has already been discussed many times. I'm a fan of Yao. Yao had many good games. He didn't do much when we were trying to nail down a spot, however, and I understand why. This is really not what this thread is about, anyway.

Start a thread on Yao's play during the drive for a post-season spot, if you want to go there.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I don't understand what you're saying.

You asked the question how close did Yao lead us to the playoffs. We finished 1 game behind Phoenix.

Had Yao not played, would we have been better or worse than 43-39.

When has Kelvin Cato averaged 13.5 ppg, 8.2 rebs, 2 blocks shots, etc.

No he did not play well 4 of the last 5 games but he did get us closer than had he not played. If you're only talking about those last few games, you should be more specific.

It's like saying someone cost a team the win when they miss the last shot of the game despite scoring 30 points while not blaming someone else who went 0-10 the rest of the game.

Like I said, I have no idea what youre talking about.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Hmmm!? A junior member coming to Rice's rescue. Something suspicious about that.

12. Severe Rockets Fan

He was right? he said yao wouldn't bring us even "close" to being a playoff team...this year or 'maybe' even next.
    We were 1 game from the playoffs...doesn't that constitute 'close'?
    For someone in the know, he didn't have a clue about players talents or what rudy/CD, other coaches and NBA scouts had to say about Yao. He sounded like a guy from the press...you know "all bashing and no basis."
    Sorry DOD, I think his opinion on Yao was unjust/baseless and helped other Yao bashers to formulate their opinions based on what he and others media morons said, even though they had no reason for saying so. I think that his bashing of yao and not admitting being wrong afterwards, was kind of strange, like he didn't want to admit any accountability for what he posts on these boards. Sorry. Just my opinion.
    Can't a man say, okay I was dead wrong...that my opinion wasn't based on my 'inside' info...that I didn't know what I was talking about, even though everyone on this board listens to every word I type at all times? I guess he can't and thats not cool.
    Hey I don't have any complaints about DocRocket. He's the MFing man! Its just the way oeilpere kind of disappeared after Yao started doing well that rubbed me the wrong way. Thats all.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Sorry, the SF trade happened before I came on the board. My bad.
    Its strange what you say..." The man may or may not like Yao." OOOOkaay. A 'rocket fan' that doesn't like/bashes Yao? And you're cool with that? I'm speechless.

14. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Their are Rox fans on this board and bash Steve and Cat everyday, and your cool with that?? What makes Yao so different??? Bottom line is none of these guys are above criticism, and they all deserved it at some point last year. Anybody can have an opinion positive or negative about any player, and shouldn't have their loyalty questioned. Yao is our center not Jesus Christ.

15. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

BigBoy,

Rescue? You make a horse's ass out of yourself, I try to make a sane reply, and I need rescued? Pah-leeeez.... :rolleyes:

Maybe you are a little before your time, it is a credit to those who departed post Yao that they survived the "BigBoy" era....

Why don't you just continue to grace us with yoiur intellect and insightful posting - old wise one.... :p

Maybe NJ Rocket has some inside news now that will end this whole ridiculous speculation... ;)

16. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is your typical ignorant comment.

Follow basketball. Nobody and I mean nobody criticizes a rookie player who shows promise. This has nothing to do with Yao.

If Phoenix had not made the playoffs, there is not 1 single person that wouldve blamed Amare Stoudemire. People wouldve pointed their finger at Marbury or Shawn Marion. Not Stoudemire.

Did anyone blame Caron Butler because Miami did not make the playoffs.

Just because you don't blame Yao does not mean you equate him to Jesus Christ.

Please watch some basketball before you make idiotic comments like this.

#56 RIET, Jul 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2003
  17. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

Read the post before you call someone an idiot Riet, you moron. First of all he implied Popeye couldn't be respected becuase he didn't like Yao. My retort was so what!! I don't like Cat that doesn't mean I don't like the Rox, or if I had insider info it shouldn't be respected( I don't, but if I did). I get sick of people acting like if you say anything bad about Yao you are auotomatically excommunitcated or something. Popeye was among the best and classiest guys to post here, and that holds true whether he liked or didn't like Yao. So when you can learn to keep up with the conversation, I can suggest a reading comphrehension program if you like, then you can call people out. Until then don't take half post and try to blast on someone. Ok, moron? Understand? Comprende??

18. CRC

CRC Member

Gee... GARM is really heated up... for those who are not ready for some kicka** actions... don't bother to come in :D

19. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

In terms of the whole Yao/OP/'Insider' thing, i think we are mixing apples and oranges here...an Insider is not necessarily someone who can scout out talent, and give us an accurate prognostication regarding the effect of a certain player...he is someone who has access to information the genral public is not privy to, in this case usually ivolving personel moves. I don't see how OP's prediction about the effect Yao would or would not have is in any way a reflection of his access to information, and supposing that it refelcted the opinion of the Rockets' staff at the time, I think you can make a credible argument that OP's statemtn accurately reflects what the Rockets brass thought at the time...look at the the minutes Yao was getting early on before his play demanded more...

So I think that OP's statement has little to do with his status as an 'insider'...and at the very least it is probably what the Rockets' brass thought at the time he said it.

All that said, I actually think OP's basic basketball knowledge was enough that his opinion would be among the more valued around here even if he didn't have insider 'info', and i, for one, miss his posts...

And I have decided that I am going to be an insider myself...It sounds like a cool handle...So please, if you like me at all, from now on consider me an insider...when having converstaions about insiders, like Doc and OP, throw my name in there...Now I don't know Jack, but that's never stopped me in life, so it won't here...'MacBeth, the Insider'...Stay tuned for my next scoop...it's coming soon...and it's really really big....and possibly green....

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Pardon me, but...

You should really have that looked at. :D

OK, you can get back to calling each other ignorant horses asses and morons now.