1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where Does Steve Francis Stand Among The Rockets Greats?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Christopher, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Member

Its amazing to think Steve Francis has been in the NBA for about ten years now, and with the clubs current woes and looking back at previous teams that probably had less talent and fans expected more of them....I cant help but think that Steve Francis has to be held in the highest regards within our club.

I'm not talking about the best players ever, I'm talking more along the lines of great club men who were committed to the cause and who did everything they possibly could to help the team win games.

When Franchise was THE player in our team, man, we had a horrible lineup! I mean we were talking about Shandon Anderson, Kelvin Cato and the like as a supporting cast!

Francis copped more criticism than any Rockets player in our team today, he has more pressure, he was expected to do more with less, and yet here is is wearing our clubs colours again and you would imagine when he retires it will also be as a Houston Rocket.

We tend to give a lot of respect to players that have been with us during championship seasons, but I have to say, I think Steve Francis is what the Houston Rockets are all about.

What do you think?

2. dafranchise0309

The best Rockets Pg after

Calvin Murphy
    Sam Cassell
    Kenny Smith
    Vernon Maxwell
    Stevie Franchisee

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

As much as I liked him and as fun as he was to watch, if you were making an all-time Rockets team, you would have a tough job finding a place for him.

4. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

My friend we have a guy name Tracy McGrady. Who gets blamed for every little thing that goes wrong. Everything is his fault. There is so much pressure on him every year. I think more than Francis has ever faced.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's hard to put someone among The Greats when he's only won 1 playoff game in his entire career.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

You left out John Lucas.

7. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Had one of the greatest Rockets rookie seasons...

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What if Steve Francis never had Rudy T as a coach?
    it seems his success was tied to Rudy's system.

9. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I'd put drop Sam Cassell and Kenny Smith a couple of spots. If Francis had a Hakeem type player in his prime to make him better he would've probably gotten far into the playoffs just like they did.

10. prs325

prs325 Member

Madmax is not a point guard.

Also excluded from the list were:
    John Lucas (was a no.1 pick, and a great stabilizer on offense in the 80's)
    Robert Reid

But as far as pure athletism, physical talent and heart, Francis is up there. If he only had the IQ, he could have been the best.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Francis, you can argue was not a point guard either.

Mad Max played PG when he left for the Sixers.. Not a great idea, but he did.

Also Mad Max led the Rockets in assists one season.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem didn't like the fact Francis didn't pass him the ball.

because we know what we know now.

Sam Cassell was by far the best player, in terms of career when you compare him Steve Francis.

Cassell had success with the Rockets and after the Rockets and with different coaches too.

Steve was the best when he was with the Rockets, Mobley and Rudy T.
    Post Rockets, he's been terrible.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He's inbetween Ralph Sampson and Rodney McCray as far as high hopes on high draft picks that didn't live up to their billing. And Rodney and Ralph actually took us somewhere in the playoffs, so Francis is a distant 3rd to them.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yes, he was very committed to the cause, he did everythign he could to win, and he wanted to win really badly.

In short, he had a lot of heart.

Without anything else, that doesn't put him on any list of "all time Rockets greats". You seem to be asking for "where does Steve stand among the Rockets in terms of most heart displayed in franchise history?" IF that''s the question, maybe you can figure something out and rank him in the top 5 or 10 or whatever.

But that's a weird list to make, and not one with anything quantifiable in any way..

So basically I think your thread title isn't what you're asking, so you're not gonna get many positive responses except for guys who have too much love for Steve's game..

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, rodney mccray took us somewhere, along with a young hakeem, and sampson, but that was rodney taking us somewhere. i wonder where rodney would take us with cato, and motay

----> :rolleyes:

this is the worst anti francis argument. look, francis doesn't have enough tenure to be considered an all time rocket great, but let's stay away from the he didn't win argument. especially considering he carried those scrubs to above five hundred records

if you want to see how far he "carried" them, check the season he got migranes for how much they could carry themselves without him

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i've never heard hakeem having a problem with francis, cassell yes, but hakeem realized that he was way past his prime the few moments he got to play with him

i can actually remember comments in that regard

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Ralph suffered a major injury that was not taken care of correctly which lead to his decline.

Steve suffered from an unknown injury that causes him to dribble the shot clock out and turn the ball over many times.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Honestly, I think he did a pretty good job as a PG. Really that isn't his true position as mentioned above he had a loser team and did what he could to win.

The only reason he left Houston was for us to p/u TMac, and that hasn't worked out too much better.

What I always wonder when I see a great player is, When they retire do you think they'll do it as a Rocket or another team? With T I really don't know cause he really had his glory days with Orlando where he scored tons of points. And now he's with us and hasn't done much but lose in the 1st round.

But if Stevie does get his jersey retired I think it will be as a Rocket. That's a big if.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell came of the bench and Steve Francis was a starter who played a ton of minutes, so the % of passes to Dream is worse with Steve since he plays more minutes.

Cassell's job was to create offense off the bench, that's what he was suppose to do. Dream wasn't mad at him when he hit that 3 on the Garden!

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

francis first year, hakeem 28 starts, 44 games total
    francis's second year 58 games