1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Kidd rank among the all-time PGs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by t_mac1, Jun 14, 2011.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with Zeke > Kidd.

Pgabriel: I think it's really a question of how important you think 1v1 ability is. Yes, it's important, but I think it's the least important at the PG position.

Regarding rings, of course they're important, but I think you have to look at it in the context of the team and how much that player contributes. Isiah was the best player on his team, but he certainly didn't dominate his team the way Jordan or Dream did. I think it's easy for us Houston fans to have superstar bias b/c of just how much Dream did in every facet of the game for us. I see the Zeke Pistons as much more of an ensemble.

Also, here is my hidden bias. I think Zeke and KJ are very similar players, except for the fact that Zeke won the championship. Similar skills, play style, athleticism, similar leadership. If you can explain to me how Zeke was clearly superior to KJ, aside from some nebulous championship mojo, I think I'd be more inclined to come over to your side.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

actually i think they are very similar players also, and i think KJ is also a very underrated player because of the same reason stated about isiah. kj unfortunately couldn't get over the hump against hakeem, which is funny because he has the best dunk over hakeem eva. he did get to finals but like a lot of greats in the era couldn't get past jordan. i guess the same could be said about stockton, whom its funny kj played on a very similar team to, with his best playmate being malone.

here's one last thing to consider against isiah's pistons, they had to beat the three best teams of the decade, and were the team that mj had to get over. he took turns guarding mj and didn't back down. he was a jerk, i hated the way he walked off the court after finally losing to mj, but he was a true superstar that i think separated himself from the rest of this group. i think he did that before the rings. consider that game where he scored like 15 pts in one minute or something, or the game in Denver in 83, that was like the highest scoring ever when he had 47 and i believe around 15 assists.