1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Hakeem Olajuwon rank among Centers of all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketKobe24, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Where does Olajuwon rank as a center of all-time?

1. He's the GOAT Center

231 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. 2nd best center of all-time

78 vote(s)
    15.9%
  3. 3rd best center of all-time

97 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. 4th best center of all-time

47 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. 5th best center of all-time

32 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. Not Top 5.

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Republic

Republic Member

I beg to differ. The game wasn't at their level. They were both well ahead of their time. Hakeem had a much tougher league. While the other guys were nice players, Hakeem is the top.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. ibm

ibm Member

homer or not, i'm just glad i'm in the majority of this poll.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

A say Hakeem was the best. Alot of people put Wilt and Russell #1 & #2, but I would put them 3 & 4. They played when there was not alot of good big men. They were like giants back then. Wilt was dominant on offense and Russell was dominant on defense. Hakeem was dominant on both ends of the court. He could do it all. He could take over a game on both ends of the floor.

Hakeem also played against some of the so-called best and beat them all. Kareem(even though it was toward the end of his career), Shaq, Robinson, Ewing etc... none of them could match "The Dream". As I said before the only problem he had was that he played in Houston, and we all know that we do not get much recognition like some of the other cities. If he had played in LA or NY he would be considered the best center hands down.

6. shioew

shioew Member

I agree that shaq is the #1, I would rank hakeem either #2 or #3

7. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I have no problem in shuffling between Wilt, Bill and Kareem as the top 3 base on the combination of stats, wins and titles. Hakeem at number 4. Shaq at 5.

I can't help wondering what Hakeem's stats would be if he played in the same era as Wilt and Bill. Those guys grabbed points and rebounds like men among boys.

Would a triple double average season be out of the question for Hakeem in that era i.e. points, rebounds and blocks?

8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

he schooled shaq in his prime and thats one of them

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

wilt and russel had easier time and rules to achieve what they did, the could camp under the basket all day long, where hakim didnt, plus hakims time had more talented players i think which made it harder.

HAKIM BEST CENTER.

10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chamberlain
    Abdul Jabbar
    Olajuwon
    Shaq
    Russell

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

When you consider the competition that each of these guys played against, and *with*, Hakeem is undoubtedly the best.

If you make Hakeem 7" taller than everybody else in the league during his tenure (Kareem, Wilt) then he absolutely dominates with his skill set.

If you make Hakeem 100lbs thicker than everybody else in the league during his tenure (Wilt, Shaq) then he absolutely dominates with his skill set.

If you give Hakeem All-Star talent to play with (Kareem, Russell), then he absolutely dominates with his skill set.

But you know what? Hakeem had none of these advantages, and despite playing against some of the greatest Big-Men talent in the history of the NBA, he dominated them all ANYWAY.

Bottom Line: Hakeem's Talent/Skillset > Shaq, Wilt, Bill, Kareem's Talent/Skillset

12. Roddimus

Roddimus Member

I a very big Hakeem fan and I may be a bit bias because of that. But my argument is Hakeem was feared/hated by arguably the GOAT Michael Jordin. The reason being inside scoring was pretty much gone, his offense was more than amazing with his unstoppable "Dream Shake". I totally agree with idea of if he was on a team like LA or Celts he would have been considered a better play because he would be in the eye of more lesser "basketball fans". His statistics speak for themselves.
    Statistics:
    Olajuwon is also in the top ten in blocks, scoring, rebounding, and steals. He is the only player in NBA history placed in the top ten for all four categories.
    All-time NBA Playoffs leader in total blocks with 472 and blocks per game with 3.3 per game.
    Olajuwon ranks 7th all-time in steals and is by far the highest ranked center. (note that steals were not recorded until the 1973-74 season)
    In 1989, Olajuwon had 282 blocks and 218 steals, becoming the only NBA player to record over 200 blocks and 200 steals in a season.
    Olajuwon is one of few players to record more than 200 blocks and 100 steals in a season. As the all-time leader in this feat, he did it for 11 seasons (consecutively from the 1985-86 season to the 1995-96 season). The next closest is David Robinson, who did it for 7 seasons.
    Olajuwon has recorded an NBA record six five by fives in his career.
    Only player in NBA history to have won MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards in the same season (1994).

One thing that will always be is that for a long time stats were recorded as they are now. such as Steals and blocks. One thing I feel that gives Hakeem the biggest edge is that he was a COMPLETE player and with that being said he was capable of recieving stats other Centers or any position at that would be able to achieve. IMO I honestly feel like Hakeem is the Greatest Center of all Time. I would take him over any center anyday.

13. Roddimus

Roddimus Member

Correction "One thing that will always be is that for a long time stats were NOT recorded as they are now. such as Steals and blocks."

Sorry bout that I am at work and got side tracked lol :D

14. HoustonFan4Life

Agree with who? Has anyone said that Shaq is #1?

Maybe #1 at making a fool of himself :D

15. DaDream

DaDream Member

I second this thought. he played in an era where every other player was like Steve Novak (see: steve novak trying to drive to the bucket). He would be nothing more than a Erik Dampier in this era.

16. onreego

onreego Member

Maybe not a good choice for names, but when you got a player pulling stunts like Mcgrady on your favorite team its hard not love a player like kobe. :(

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

A link that he said that, or a link of videos that prove it?

44% field goal shooter as a big man? 15 points per game. Very hard to make the case he was much more than a "good" offensive player.

If we're talking about nothing more than who was the best basketball player and ignoring a lot of the other factors. I'd say Wilt is 1, and Hakeem is 2.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

tough for me to answer this one, i'm 28 and started watching baskebtall in 1989...so i dont really know what bill russel, wilt, or kareem in his prime....realy did...between Hakeem and Shaq there is no doubt it's Hakeem.

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Wilt/Hakeem/Russell/Kareem/Shaq

Wilt's not just the greatest center of all time. He's the greatest PLAYER of all time.

20. onreego

onreego Member

And to answer the OP:

Its a biased rank Cause I never got to see Wilt or Russell Play so...

1-Hakeem - If he wanted to make you look like a fool, he did...ask D.Rob and Shaq.
    2-Wilt - 50 ppg against weaker less athletic players or not..thats just rediculous
    3-Russell - they named the finals mvp after him...nuff said
    4-Kareem - give me a sky hook thats better
    5-Shaq - hall of fame name should be "the Big dominance"