1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Denver stand this year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Sep 17, 2007.

1. yobod

yobod Member

They've got a nice team as well. If they can stay healthy:

PG) Allen Iverson
    SG) JR Smith
    SF) Carmelo Anthony
    PF) Nene
    C) Marcus Camby

Bench: Chucky Atkins, Kenyon Martin, Eduardo Najera, Steven Hunter, Anthony Carter, Bobby Jones, Von Wafer, Linas Kleiza, Yakhouba Diawara

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i think AI is playing the 2 and JR Smith would be 6th man.

3. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Watch out for Diawara. That guy impressed me last year. Made TMac look like a rookie that one game at TC they stole in OT.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

they can't play D
    Camby, when he's not broken like a walmart tonka truck, is the only force

5. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

lol love the comparison. Would it even be a Tonka or a generic off-brand?

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If George Karl keeps it together, both Camby & Nene stay healthy and K-Mart is able to be an effective player, Denver has a chance at a decent record. That's a lot of ifs. Even with that, I don't see them cracking the obvious top 5 in the West unless one of those teams hits a wall because of injuries.

IMO, the Nuggets are a candidate to disintegrate this season with J.R. Smith, K-Mart and/or George Karl leading the charge. A.I. and Chucky Atkins could add fuel to the fire this season if things don't go well. It's about time for Karl to wear out his welcome there and the Nuggets have plenty of alpha males on that team to challenge him.

7. FFz

FFz Member

Losing steve blake definitely hurt them. He was vital to their team since he was the only guy that could play pure PG. AI is AI, but he's not a pass first kind of player and neither is Melo, but if Camby stays healthy, Nene and K-mart get their head on straight then they're very tough. If they trade for a good PG or SG that's unselfish then they're in contention for the 4th 5th seed. Thats my 2 cents.

8. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

behind the rockets = D

k but seriously i think they will possilbly be top 5 in west

9. yobod

yobod Member

Blake wanted to return too. But they went with atkins which makes no sense at all.

10. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

yeah i think this team has the talent to be a force but so many problems and issues stopping it from developing into a team with good chemistry. can someone tell me how much kmart is getting paid? i remember the nets losing him to the nuggets because they felt he wanted to get overpaid?

11. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

this team should score a lot of points, but what about defense?

12. stq

stq Member

that's alot of luxury tax to pay...

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They look good. AI and Melo will be together for a full year now. I'd move AI back to the point. I say they have the 5th best recod in the west, ahead of utah

14. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Only player I would love to have from this team is Marcus Camby. Imagine having Camby backing up Yao and at times in the fourth quarter playing them alongside each other!!!

AI and Mel0 are get players but I don't want to give up T-Mac's court vision for either of them. JR Smith is a nice player, but too bone-headed at times. Nene is good player, but I want to see better work ethics from him. He was too out of shape last year and K-Mart is too injury prone. They have a good team, but too many pieces need to fit together for them to work and at the moment, it seems like they are going to need almost a picture-perfect scenario to work like management hopes for them to work.

15. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i think they'll will be worst then last season. Their progress depends on Kenyon Martin (he who had mirocfracture surgery on both knees) and i think he's done. I think he gives them 30 games tops and he's returning to the shelf....

I believe they'll miss Reggie Evans. Steven Hunter is trash.
    Steve Blake was a better fit alongside Iverson then Chucky Cheese Atkins.

Make the playoffs yes. Another first round exit definetly. i think that they will be at most an eight seed quick to be devoured by Phoenix or San Antonio.....

16. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Higher seed if they stay healthy!
    They're better than Utah,no doubt about it.
    With healthy team they can get far.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm not sure if they will even make the playoffs in the West - if they do, it will be because of coaching. In the East, they would be contenders.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They don't look good at all. It's a poorly designed roster put together with no concrete plan at all. Just grab guys on your radar and hope they work.

PG is a mess, which is trouble because you need a strong-minded guy at the point distributing to 2 shot-happy studs. It's hard to do.

Iverson and Melo haven't even tried to mesh their games together. It's ridiculous that these two aren't P&Ring teams to death, and yet there they go trading off iso possesions. This is the same individual-only game play that keeps the Wizards from going anywhere in the postseason.

A three headed PF monster is okay but you can't pay 3 role players top dollar each. Just stupid. Camby's the only one that earns his salary. Najera is good but redundant.

Zero outside shooting.

You could literally get away with doubling both Iverson and Melo and leave your center roaming the middle and shut these guys down. That's sorry. Any team that runs a decent zone that clogs the paint will suffocate this offense.

George Karl is vastly overrated. The owner is too meddlesome. The GM is so so at best.

Evan

19. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Blake wanted to return for $7 mil a year. Atkins was willing to take $3 mil.

Personally, I'm not as high on Utah as everyone else is. I think the Nugs can win the division, but that will still only have them as the 5th best team in the conference. Sounds like Nene, once again, went to Brazil and got fat over the summer, so he won't be in shape until February again. I think K-Mart will help. He won't be an all-star, but he'll give us 12 and 8. Atkins gives us some outside shooting. I know he's hated on this board, but Melo's going to have another career year.

Honestly, I'd love to deal Camby while his value is high, but it won't happen. He's incredibly overrated as a defender. Don't get me wrong, I cheered my head off when he was awarded the trophy for DPOY, but he wouldn't have gotten my vote. He blocks a lot of shots, but that's because he's free-lancing. If he stayed with his guy, he wouldn't get as many blocked shots, but he wouldn't give up as many layups either. Plus, Marcus, you don't have to knock the ball into the 10th row every time you block a shot. Just tip it up, and start the fast break.

This season comes down to George Karl. If he's insane (which is a safe bet), we implode. If he brings it down a notch (and I'll pause here to wait for you to stop laughing), we're a serious threat.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I love your posts Nuggets4. Realistic, insightful and humorous. Good luck this year.