1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Carmelo Anthony rank in today's NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Brown Lost It, Nov 22, 2016.

?

Where do you rank Melo?

1. Top 5

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Top 10

6 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Top 20

42 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. Top 30

38 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Top 40

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  6. Melo sucks

25 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Never liked his game, but isn't he super efficient this year? If he can keep up the %'s and stay healthy he's actually better now than he has been in a few seasons.

2. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

The guy has never been a winner, and never benefitted the teams he was on, other than Team USA, because everyone is good there. As a scorer, it came at the expense of the other players. People were always blinded by his numbers, but now that he can't get the numbers he used to, people see what he has actually always been. A scorer for losing teams.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

They were stupid to re-sign him with a no trade clause. He would be a really good Rockets PF right now if not for that clause.

He is deluded about how good he is. I would put him around 25th best player, but he would put himself in the top 10.

Also he needs to get into some semblance of shape, even his improved conditioning is atrocious for a basketball player.

4. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Carmelo is a top 30 player. During his prime, he was probably top 10 but now he's definitely out of the top 25. Melo is still an exceptional scorer and an average rebounder but he does not impact the game like those ahead of him. He is strictly a pure scorer, which is why he can never be elite.

Both Harden and Melo are elite scorers but what makes Harden an elite player and not Melo, is the impact Harden has offensively. Harden is an elite scorer like Anthony but his court vision and offensive awareness is miles ahead of Anthony. Kevin Durant is more similar to Melo because he's also a pure scorer. But Durant's scoring ability is on another level and his length allows him to make impact plays defensively.

I always like Melo as a scorer and felt like his career would looked a lot different if he was willing to make sacrifices to his game. Carmelo was never capable of leading a team as the best player. His style of play never translate to success. If he played with another star player who can run the offense and set up easy and efficient shots for him, that's where he would thrive. Similar to his success in International games. But as a lone star on a team with role players, Carmelo is the worst star you would want to build your team around.

But hopefully the Knicks can be successful with him, Rose and Kristaps. They would need Kristaps to continue to progress and Rose to maintain consistency.

Hui likes this.
  5. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

He's not even the best player on his team anymore. I have him in top 30

6. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

Great points. He is a great scorer but at the expense of his team. He was considered an elite player when he was younger because of the numbers he put up. But he was never able to lead a team to any type of success. All those years in New York he was never able to lead his team to any type of success. As bad as the East is and the fact that he can't lead his team to the playoffs every year he's there just proves the type of player he really is.

Melo puts up nice scoring numbers but his inefficient scoring truly hurt his team. He was never able to elevate his teammates at all. A lot of great elite pure scorers were able to elevate their teammate's game. It's crazy how once he was in the same sentence as Lebron James. When they were drafted, Melo and Lebron was supposed to dominate the league for years and build up a rivalry. Melo never improved any other aspects in his game and right now is an overpaid scorer.

jevjnd likes this.
  7. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

This is not entirely related but I think Wiggins is the next melo. He's been putting up crazy numbers this season but the wolves keep collecting L's. As good of a scorer as he is, he's not a great defender, does not crash the boards at all and is a terrible playmaker. Sound familiar?

malakas likes this.
  8. BackdoorHarden

Wow. MELO is a Top 10 players????

9. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

I like Wiggins, but I think you might be right. But I think Wiggins does have potential to be a very good defender.

Cashmoney likes this.
  10. JJWhat?

JJWhat? Member

Knicks fans booed Melo the other night in Garden when he took a bad shot :D Not the first time they booed this season, first time they booed one player ON THEIR OWN TEAM

11. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I think what sets Melo and Wiggins apart is their attitude. Melo has a laissez-faire attitude when it comes to improving his team and giving up certain aspects of his game to do that, while Wiggins is actively looking to grow his game and do the things that his team needs him to do. I think a few games back he was reflecting and saying that he wants to improve his defense and rebounding because there's no way someone as athletic as he is could be deficient at either. It's the willingness to improve and do the little things to help your team win that sets them apart.

12. BackdoorHarden

MELO = ME MYSELF AND I

13. omgTHEpotential

So by that logic Karl Towns, Anthony Davis and Joel Embiid are also total scrubs.

14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Where did I say Wiggins was a scrub? Talk about putting words in my mouth

malakas likes this.
  15. underrated015

underrated015 Member

He loves him some NY, the main reason his career is irrelevant except for Team USA.

Easy and RudyTBag like this.
  16. Houston22

Houston22 Member

He has scoring skills, not much versatility. But after watching a few games this year, I'd say he is trying to be team oriented this year, but Knicks are still better with him being off the floor. They should trade him and use Kuzminskas.
    So to answer your question.. he is worse than Dwight.. top 50.

17. malakas

malakas Member

The difference is Melo was an above average rebounder while Wiggins can't even grab a board but goes to the line. So the comparison imo should be more with Derozan. Wing Scorer who goes to the line, can't playmake, can't rebound can't defend and only scores with a game based on going to the post.
    As for the usual comparison in 2014 draft between Parker- Melo that was wrong as well. Parker doesn't have the post moves of Melo not even in his dream, but is ten times the team player and passer and even though currently sucks has shown more willingness to defend and even improvement whereas even one as pessimistic as me, can project him in 3 years to be an average defender.

18. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

19. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

There is a new NBA commercial he's in and OMG he's got a muffin top working!!

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

So most here don't think he goes into the HOF ever? Or just on the first ballot?

I think he's a lock for the 1st ballot myself.