1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does Asik rank amongst centers?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Dec 27, 2012.

?

Where does Asik rank amongst centers?

1. Top 5

145 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. Top 10

186 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. Top 15

40 vote(s)
    10.3%
  4. Top 20

7 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Top 25

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Top 30

7 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You have to be on the court to be better.

A guy missing from your list would be Cousins.

Right now, Tyson Chandler is probably the #1 guy despite no offensive game.

2. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

I'm eating a BIG BOWL of crow in regards to this guy. I thought the signing was awful at the time and he has proven to be an excellent signing for Morey (in fact now I wish the deal was longer, he will be expensive when he's up again).

Keep in mind this is the first time the guy has ever started and played significant minutes. IMO he's a top 10 center NOW and going into next year I would say top 5.

3. mau11

mau11 New Member

Definitely Top 10

PPG - 8th
    FG% - 7th
    FT% - 12th
    ORPG - 5th
    DRPG - 1st
    RPG - T-1st
    APG - 11th
    TO - 3rd with most TO per game
    SPG - 9th
    BPG - 11th
    Personal Fouls - 14th with most PF per game

Definitely Top 10 Center

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he's top 10, in terms of his actual production this year and also his trade value.

Edit:

In light of meh's post, I'll amend to top 15. He mentioned some players I wasn't considering.

#44 durvasa, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You have to define "center" first because there is a fuzzy line between centers and power forwards nowadays.

6. thekad

thekad Member

Defense is more important than offense from the center position. I'd much rather have a rim protector like Asik than a pure scorer like Al Jefferson.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Never ever ever would I trade Asik for Lopez. You can value the 18 points a game as much as you want but I prefer Asik who is not just better but a superior defender to to Lopez. How many Rockets points started from a fast break created by an Asik defensive rebound and outlet pass? A ton. If you really think because Lopez averages 1 block a game more than Asik that he is even in the same galaxy as Asik on the defensive end then you just don't recognize defense when you see it. By the way, Lopez still seems to be allergic to rebounds.

Asik does not block as many shots as Noah but he is every bit as good of a defender. If Noah is better than Asik let him prove it on the court, he has failed in two tries. In the same system Asik was a better defender than Noah. Not debatable.

#47 crash5179, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. conquistador#11

all we have to know is that when those guys you've listed(except howard) go up against Asik, they get sought and destroyed and their fg% drops below their average. all your rebounds are belong to asik!

1 person likes this.
  9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Except that SF is the best player in the NBA, but yeah we are getting there

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Ugh, I hate that the guys in bold are considered centers in today's NBA.

11. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

We don't have lowry anymore?

12. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

The Raptors don't exactly use him either...

13. Gil

Gil Member

Top 15 with the potential to be Top 5 one day.

14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I put him top 10.

1)Dwight

2)Tim Duncan

3)M.Gasol

4)Tyson C.

5)Noah

6)Greg Monroe

7)Asik

8)B.Lopez

9) Pekovic

Bynum is a wild card, but he's never healthy so I wouldn't know where to put him. I don't count Al Jefferson as a C, but if you do he'd probably be just outside the top 5.

Note: I did this without a list so I probably missed someone.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Your list is fine, and I don't mean to come off disrespectful but... LOL at even mentioning Kosta Koufus.

16. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It's interesting that Chandler and Noah are put higher on different lists. Maybe there are some advanced stats that say that they are better than him, but on the eye test, I'd actually rate Asik higher than them for what I think a center should ideally do.

Offensively, they have similar capabilities and their offense is not the reason they're considered good centers so it's all about their defense and rebounding. Chandler and Noah are great defensive players. But their real strength is their ability to move their feet and cover a lot of territory down low, while also being able to keep people honest out to 18 ft on the switch. Omer does this really well too with surprisingly quick feet. But what those other two aren't very good at is post-defense, especially against bigs that can knock them off-balance. When Bynum is playing in the post, those two are out-matched and need a double team. Omer has the ability to play straight up on those guys.

Also, I would put him over Lopez too. Obviously Lopez is a better offensive player, but the guy rebounding is embarassingly poor for a center. Omer rebounds better than all three of those guys and grabs more than 50% more than Lopez. I'd rather have a center that is an elite rebounder and passable scorer than a good scorer, but poor rebounder.

17. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

NBA is more about defense. While Asik may have the slight edge on defense over Noah and Chandler, the other two are miles ahead of Asik on offense. Last year in NY Jeremy Lin was able to lob the ball up and have Chandler jump and throw it down? This year? Asik can't even catch the ball on the ground, let alone in the air. Noah is the best passing center in the NBA and plays up at the top of the key so he can get a better view of the play. Asik? We're lucky he can pass, let alone run a play.

There's your answer.

18. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I love Asik, but there's plenty of room/need for improvement. Top 10.

19. JD88

JD88 Member

Well Lopez has the second highest PER among centers thus far, and puts up 22 and 9 per 36 compared to Asik's 12 and 14. And yes when the block leaders are separated by tenths of a point average, an additional 1 per game is pretty significant. Asik alters a lot of shots, true, but to act like Asik's defensive presence is enough to offset the huge disparity in every offensive stat available, thats just not true. For the money Asik is a he'll of a value, and is probably my favorite player on this team cause I love big guys who pound the glass, but to argue Asik is a better Center then Lopez is a bad argument.

And if you base your argument on who is a better player by lookin at two games, as you are with Noah, then I don't know what to tell you. Noah is averaging almost 5 assists a game, and his ability to play defense or get a rebound and start the break far exceeds Asik's. 5 assists a game, on top of having similar season averages. And Noah got defensive second team last year, so unless Asik makes second team this year, which I don't see happening, then every voter for that award disagrees with your statement.

Like I said, Asik is probably my favorite player on this team, but he really isn't better then either one of those guys as of now. In 3 or 4 years, maybe, but not right now.

20. Possum

Possum Member

Top 5 and improving. :)