1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where did your 'handle' originate?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jan 29, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Its been a long time since this question was last posted. I figured it might be a good time to ask it again with all of the new people we have posting here now. I'll do the honors:

"Lynus" is a college nickname. You know how frats usually give out nicknames to members? Well, I wasn't in a frat, but I was in the band (saxophone), which was an all-male brotherhood and more or less a frat without the greek letters and all.

The "302" is my own combination. For the intramural season, we would have jerseys made for which each guy would choose his own number. I drive a Mustang (I love my car), which is a '93 5.0 GT. For those not in the know, 5.0 stands for 5 liters, or 302 cubic inches.

Hence Lynus302.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

fun Lynus...i think i know where "Clutch" got his handle.

I'm an avid bridge player. I play studio duplicate and contract for money. The best thing about the internet, to me, is what it has done for bridge. I can spark up a game at anytime, in all forms of scoring.

I got my handle from the constant greeting you get when you sit down to play bridge on the internet...

"Hey partner"

It is easily the most used greeting.

3. Christopher

Christopher Member

Well actually mines quite a funny story reall you see......well......My name is Christopher.
    I couldnt use my nickname I got at highschool for various reasons.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

mmm, I can't seem to remember, aliens must have erased my memory, either that or it's a government conspiracy....

------------------
    The truth is out there.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

DAMN, THIS AGAIN?!?!?!?!?

OKOKOK, here goes:

--I used to live in the gang-infested, crime-ridden craphole "city" known as Los Angeles
    --While there, approximately 3 years ago, I began posting under the handle ROCKETMAN WEST
    --Moved back to the shining city of the bayou, Houston Texas, in late 1998
    --After moving back, I changed my handle to ROCKETMAN TEX

Got it? There will be a pop quiz in 10 minutes! [​IMG]

------------------
    Bring It!!

6. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

I got my moniker while I was watching an episode of the Simpson's....

Bart was worried about Nelson beating him up, and asked Milhouse if anyone in the playground was talking about a possible fight.

Milhouse replies "Well the boys don't know anything and the girls keep pointing at you and saying "fatty fatty fat fat", but, uh, nothing else really."

Anyhoo, I just thought it was funny.

Time passes and after I graduate from Texas Tech, I come back to Houston. I love watching Monday night football and especially playing QB-1; which is an interactive game that you can play while watching MNF.
    In this game you are required to put in a username. Well, when I was at Tech, my username was Rudy T--which really worked well because when I was in college he had just begun coaching and nobody knew who he was.

Anyway, when I graduated and came back to Houston, I didn't think Rudy T was appropriate any longer (seemed silly)--so I decided to change it and just came up with the stupidest name that I could think of, and well, there it was in the back of my head.

Well, everyone that I played with loved the name and have pretty much called me that ever since.

And, well, that's how the name came about.

(If anyone would like the long version, please send 12.95 in a self-addressed stamped envelope to: )

I have no life
    P.O. Box 12345
    Houston, TX 77000

I thank you.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Glad you beat me to this, Lynus, because I was gonna do the same thing after Clutch shocked himself [​IMG] by putting my name on the site.

I've been using the name for 3-3 1/2 years now. I used to listen to the "village idiot", Jim Rome quite a bit. Anyhow, you know how he talks about how he is a "pimp for the NHL". For those who don't know or just don't get it, that is just his way of promoting a sport that alot of people dont really know or understand. Well decided I was just gonna "pimp the Rockets" and thus became the RocketsPimp.

What were ya'll thinking???

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

8. Nice to see another Red Raider in the house. I am a freshman here in Lubbock. I am also from Houston. At Tech I work at the student-radio station KTXT-FM. I do a Weekly Sportscast, am on the Weekly Sportstalk Show, I produce Basketball Play-by-Play & I do Basketball Play-by-Play. I have audio clips at my website.

My Handle came from where I was (located) when I registered back in the CC '98 days, when Mario was still down with the site.

------------------
    visit my website @ http://members.xoom.com/bayoucitybob/

9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well, for those of you who aren't familiar with the term darkhorse, it simply refers to a group or individual who is generally unknown, or underrated, who stands a significant chance of claiming victory.
    Back in '96, I ran a Rockets web site of my own, known simply as "Nathan's Rockets Page."
    You laugh, but at the time, Clutch City '96, was just an upstart site itself. Actually, I collaborated with Clutch quite a bit early on... Well, school got busy, and I wasn't able to expand and keep pace as much as I wanted, and Clutch was really doing well with his page.
    So I decided to revamp my site altogether. Nathan's Rockets Page was to become "The Darkhorse Rockets Page." Clutch obviously had the corner on the market, but I was getting a lot of hits, too.
    Well, anyway, long story short, I ended up going on a mission for my church, so I was out of touch for two years, and when I came back, I found that Clutchcity (now a domain!) had risen to new heights...
    No prob, this is what it's all about. Now, though most people don't even know who I am, I try to offer a little bit of conservative commentary on the way I see it.
    And now, as fate would have it, the Rockets aren't the powerhouse team they used to be. They're, well... a darkhorse team....

I guess I don't mind being a darkhorse myself... [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

10. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Mine is basicly self explanitory but anyway here goes:
    My name is John (go Figure) and I used to go by Johny and its always been a nick name of mine. And I forget where the Rocket part came from [​IMG]. And then I was up in Baltimore over thanksgiving (before I registered on the board) and saw a burger joint in the Baltimore mall by the harbor (over near the ESPN Zone) called Johny Rocket's so when I was registering for the board I chose Johny Rocket. I didnt use John Rocket b/c that just sounds dumb.

------------------
    ~John~
    The Bull Is Back!!
    JohnyRocket's Fan Site

11. Steve Phrancis

Got mine from working on computers for a long time and always wanting a "real point" guard here in Houston. Since Sam I am the playoff bandit bolted.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Mine isn't very hard to figure out.

I've been a Dream fan since around his sophomore year at U of H.

Sam didn't exactly bolt.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I was drunk and have little idea why i choose this handle. I think it has something to do with that pet iguana of Selma's on the Simpsons, Jub Jub(?), or maybe the ewoks saying "yub yub". I was fascinated with repeated three letter words that night.

My name isn't Joe.

The truth is out there...

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I KNOW your name is not Joe... be careful playing with the government, we get to decide who figures out how much of...

------------------
    The truth is out there.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Beavis-Fire Fire

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rocketman comes from my favorite song of all time...Elton John's great ballad from the 70s, when he was the worst kept secret of the century.

95 refers to the number of times an hour I visit this site.

[​IMG]

Actually, 95 refers to my senior year at Katy High and of course to that magical run through the Jazz and Malone; Suns and Sir Charles; Spurs and the Little Mermaid; and the Magic and Shaq "I've won on every level except for pro and college" O'Neal.

I think Rocketman is pretty self-explanatory.