1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where did Morey go wrong?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What has been Morey's biggest mistake?

1. Signing Ryan Anderson to that contract

78 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Trading for CP3

10 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Resigning CP3 for 4yrs $160 mil

50 vote(s)
    25.4%
  4. Letting Ariza and Luc walk

32 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Signing Melo

27 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

also saving the $5M by not picking up Chriss' option for next season.

what a fuking disaster of mismanagement our front office has become. even the kings are looking smarter than us now

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

have you? you must have just tuned in to the sac blowout and then just were amazed bc that's the only real game hes been in and even then it wasn't that significant

3. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Agreed - Morey is a top GM, and he needs to fix this mess like he did in 15-16

For all those hating on Melton, I will tell you what I like from him

- 40% 3 point shooting
    - good rebounding for a guard (which we could use)
    - decent assist % for a rookie combo
    - improving defense

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yes YOLO you have figured me out.

What is up with people assuming they know it all about other people’s though process?

Grow up.

I’ve been watching Melton most of the season via league pass. When not watching Houston, I prefer to watch the younger teams play because 1) they’re more fun and 2) you can see who is putting it together. I watch the contenders more in the later part KD the season

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're talking as if he has played all these number of games. hes checked in a grand total of 7 games. so what impressed you. the 2 mins he played in against gs. or how about the game vs the spurs. terrible or insignificant in all of them except one blow loss that didn't even matter. apparently this sac game gave you personally a ton of great conclusions

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He’s played 80 minutes this year. Obviously the Sacramento game was the best.

I’ve listed what I’ve liked in the short time he’s played. I am willing to bet that he will continue to improve all year and impress most folks. Are you willing to bet against me? $10 in the tip jar?

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes played 78 mins out of a possible 24 games, which is what 1,152 possible minutes. is that a good ratio to you?

Ill be more than happy to do any plausible bet. tell us how exactly you're going to measure improving all year accurately.

Since you're so impressed with his 40% 3 pt shooting on his grand total of 15 3's taken thus far. I bet you by the end of the year, his % will be lower than that

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, and that was expected, he was always bad in Phoenix, there's a reason why they gave him up in that trade. As for Ryan eh, like i said i was never a fan, and what made it even worse was that problem he had at home with the depth of the field or whatever that was so, personally i was happy to see a change there, hopefully Knight (if not traded) can at least stay on the court and gives some decent minutes.

But in the end yeah, we basically traded a bad contract for two better contracts while Phoenix got the only piece with value on the table. I'm actually still sad we traded Melton, seemed like a perfect fit here and he was looking like the first pretty good prospect we drafted in the last seasons...but i guess Morey just had to dump Anderson at that point so, it was between losing Melton or a 1st rounder.

bulkatron likes this.
  9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

We will keep it simple.

“Are you impressed with De’Anthony Melton’s rookie season?”

Yes/no. Poll to be placed in Dish. I am willing to hash out the exact question with you privately.

I am confident that most people will be impressed.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

this has 0 to do with your tip jar post but yeah not all that surprising. atleast you know he isn't a 40% 3 pt shooter.

alot of ppl were impressed about mcw. what does that mean? not much obviously

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Melton hasn’t done enough to impress me...21 points is nice, but PHX was down 36-9 after 1 quarter and Melton’s 1st points came when his team was down 30...he basically did all of his work in garbage time, and before this game he’d pretty much never played

I can’t judge dudes off that

12. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

I voted on resigning CP3 to that contract. I don't really put it on Morey but CP3 shouldve known (and he's smart so Im sure he did) that the rockets wouldn't have much money to work with after giving him that big of a contract especially at his age. If he signed for a little less we could've probably signed better wing options or even had some wiggle room for the trade deadline, ect. Just my opinion.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Do you just engage in ad hom attacks? You must be lovely in person.

What exactly is not surprising about my post? Are you saying I don't know anything about basketball? Your veiled insults are pretty tiresome. Honestly your posts are not on my radar so I wouldn't know what's surprising or not about your posts.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Melton shoot 37-38% by the end of the year.

So tip jar poll or no? Put your money where your mouth is.

I don't know who was impressed with MCW. You could see from a mile away that his shot was irrevocably broken and his turnover rate was unsustainable. Maybe you were. I wasn't.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

CP3 is not as smart or experienced a GM as Lebron.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think they traded for Knight with the hope that when he came back, he'd be a semi-good 3rd/4th guard. Obviously I don't think they had any hopes of making a stellar trade with the assets they had, but I think this was the most high-upside one they could have made. I don't think they ever had a chance of guys like Bazemore because they simply didn't have the assets to get a legitimate quality player.

But you're right. The point of the trade was to get a more tradeable contract. There was never really much hope anybody we'd trade for would be a true contributor.

16. raining threes

Anderson's contract is still looming over this team.

Also there's no depth.

The biggest difference between this yrs team and last yrs team is they didn't add guys like Luc/Tucker this offseason and let Ariza walk. They were hoping Anthony could replace Ariza/Luc depthwise, but it didn't work out for a multitude of reasons.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

you still didn't even answer the question about how you're going to measure what you're claiming actually. it was completely broad. I proposed a simple measurable bet which you still didn't answer. like i said im more than willing to accept any plausible bets.

you dont know who was impressed with mcw? the search button is your friend. theirs plenty of mcw threads to read. I mean unless you're just completely overlooking the entire cf's board its pretty hard to not notice

18. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Honestly I don’t care about MCW one way or the other to waste another minute on him. You’re right, you are a clairvoyant.

You’re not impressed with Melton. I am. I am willing to bet you that subjectively, the majority of CF will be by end of year. If not, I eat crow, publicly apologize for my lack of BBIQ, and pay the tip jar. It’s a simple enough bet because the more complex you make it, the more you can quibble about how the question didn’t capture x or y. Yes, or no. Quite easy. If you can’t afford the $10 or know you’ll lose, just stop engaging. Put up or shut up.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

you keep going back and forth calling me this and that. who cares. that literally has nothing to do with the discussion.

you're rambling about stuff that really doesnt make much sense. are you saying that if you see cf's post they're impressed with melton that wins your tipjar bet? you seriously don't think that's valid do you. that's not called a simple bet. that's just called stupidity

20. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

You can certainly make the Ryan Anderson argument but keep in mind, 2016 dude shot 40.3 from 3 and even 2017 he was 38.6 BUT declining.
    2018 he has been a turd from 3 shooting 20.6.

We won't really know for sure about the Rhino trade until BKnight gets a few games under his belt. (maybe 10-15) if he is even on the roster!

Losing both Ariza and Luc is really showing. PJ can't do it all by himself. We stopped shopping at Target for role players and started shopping at Walmart instead. (please don't take offense Walmarter's! - http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/)

Will be funny if Ariza winds up back here for the second half of the season!