1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When you don't have a true point, your superstars suffer disfunctionality

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Apr 27, 2016.

1. mikus

mikus Member

It doesn't matter if we have a true PG when Howard won't pick and roll. We've seen statements from coaches that Howard's knee and back problems prevent him from being great in the post, and yet that is still how he seems to want to play. Pick and roll is a game that even older big men can play, look at Tyson Chandler a couple years ago, or even in New York with Lin. Howard looks like he would be great at pick and roll the few times he does it, but he doesn't come out to set the screen and when he does, it's half-hearted and he doesn't always roll hard to the basket. Howard has to adjust his game as he gets older and more limited physically and he hasn't. A PG won't help.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

First, I agree that you have no response.

When you declare anything with absolute certainty like "We can't win a title unless ....." then only a single case is required to disprove it. Charles Barkley said "a jump shooting team won't ever win the championship". GS winning the title last season disproved that. It was just a single case but that was all that was required. If you don't want to be disproved by a few cases then stop making ridiculous blanket statements that something can't happen or won't happen.

I don't think that there's a single poster on this bbs that doesn't want the Rockets to acquire another playmaker. I also firmly believe that Harden and everyone on the Rockets also wants us to acquire an additional playmaker.

Where I feel you are way off base is the idea that we'll bring in another playmaker to replace Harden's playmaking. That's pointless and it's just not going to happen.

The idea is to bring in a playmaker in addition to Harden, not instead of.
    We need more playmaking, not just changing out who's making the passes. Most of the elite teams in today's NBA have multiple playmakers not just one guy. One of the things that helped GS take a big leap was Green's development as a passer.

Offensively, Harden and Lin played well together. Defense was the issue there. There's plenty of possessions to go around. There's no reason Harden can't play with another playmaker.

I've already covered it in my last post (which you likely hadn't seen when you typed this), Harden's passing is an option off of his scoring. You're not going to separate the two. Harden's going to have the ball on a high number of possessions and he's either going to score or pass based off of what the defense does. He's not going to suddenly stop passing and shoot everytime he has the ball. Talk about making our offense predictable.

I also firmly believe that if we stood pat with our current roster and somehow won the championship, they you'd say that Beverley finally got it and had become an elite distributor and then declare that you were correct all along.

You make a bold statement based on something that can't be measured. You can't be proven wrong and you can always declare victory whenever you like. I get it. It's the easy way out but it's pointless.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, I am not sure why people have so much trouble grasping basic concepts.

Offensively, it really is this simple:
    1.) Teams use players, plays, systems to create good shots.
    2.) Player hit those good shots.

Our problem is 2. (and 1 and 2, when Harden is off the floor)

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I'm actually going to agree with DD for once.

We need multiple guys that can pass the ball. Specifically, a big man that can pass would be huge.

Today's NBA defense is all about taking away shots at the rim. It's not easy for a single guy to directly create all of the scoring opportunities.

Our problem is that currently, Harden has to pretty much try and create a score on each pass because we have nobody to make the 2nd or 3rd pass.

Forget Draymond Green, how many players do we have other than Harden that are better passers than Bogut?

5. basketballholic

Never said instead of. I've said multiple times we need a glue guy primary playmaker. Harden should be the primary scorer and secondary playmaker. Harden makes plays when he can't score the ball. We need a playmaker to make plays because they are a playmaker first and a scorer second. Harden can't do all that and be the primary scorer. And Harden is a much better scorer than passer/distributor. We need Harden to do more of what he is best at and let's of what he is mediocre at. We need somebody else to be great at what he is mediocre at (distributing and defending).

I think the major difference between us here is you think Harden is a great distributor. I believe (know) he isn't and it's actually hindering his game and our success for him to be the lead playmaker.

By the way, this part of your post

....is idiotic. Believing you know what a person would or wouldn't do in a hypothetical that doesn't exist. Idiotic.

#65 basketballholic, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  6. basketballholic

What you and DD are both saying, by bringing up Kobe and the Cells, is we need 3 or 4 distributors on the floor at the same time. I'm simply saying we have to get at least one distributor on the floor that is more proficient and efficient than Harden at distributing the basketball, whose primary job is to do just that. I'd gladly take multiple distributors that can score and defend. In other words a team of All-Stars. I'm simply saying we've got to have at least one guy that is a better distributor than Harden to win a championship.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Why do you think I was so against letting Parsons walk for Ariza? I had seen Ariza before and KNEW he could not dribble or pass, and Parsons fit so much better with Harden.

I will go further and say that Dwight is probably a lot happier if we had kept Parsons because he would have gotten more touches through Parsons passing.

Losing Parsons was a MAJOR blow to the Rockets, we have not had another creator to help Harden of that caliber since...other than Lawson, who is too ball dependent to really work with our team.

DD