1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Yao comes back: Hayes or JHo for 4?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by windfern, Jan 14, 2007.

1. windfern

windfern Member

Now that JHo is playing HOT, who would you want to see as our starting 4? Jeff started with Yao and Hayes combo before Yao got injured. Do you think we'll go back to that line up or do you see or do you want Juwan to continue to be our PF?

Last night against the Kings, Juwan was rarely missing his jumpers but I noticed that defensively he didn't have a Hayes-like intensity. Many times I saw his D was owned by King's big men, that's why Coriless and Artest had a big night.

I would pick Hayes since Yao can easily make up for JHo's points and since Yao is not a reliable rebounder, Hayes can help us better clean the board.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think there is a reason why Hayes was starting.

I think Hayes complements Yao better then Juwon does. I like the Hayes type of PF.

Also i think it is also good to have Howard coming from the bench, to provide some inside scoring when Yao is on the bench.

3. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

I want Hayes to start because he rebounds better than Juwan, which is what we need at the 4 when Yao is in the game
    he also hustles back to defend faster than Juwan and he protects Yao from all the slashers who try to drew Yao into foul trouble(bascially a cannon fodder)

We also need a veteran leader to lead the 2nd lineup

4. daRox

daRox Member

doesn't matter, but I want to see this line up when Yao rests

5. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Seeing how Howard is playing at this moment i wouldn't mind seeing him at the four. Hayes might be able to rebound better than Howard but Howard will make them pay for double teaming yao/mcgrady.

I voted for Howard. I would like to see them test both of them out and see which one plays better with both Yao and TMAC.

6. windfern

windfern Member

exactly what I have in mind.

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

The way both duos (Yao/Hayes and Deke/Howard) click I think you have to go back to Hayes starting when Yao comes back. I do think you will see Howard and Deke get more time on the court together now since they have proved to be so potent.

The real question is if Juwan and Deke can continue to contribute once their minutes go down. Juwan, especially, has always had trouble playing a diminished role. I think we may see his minutes stay relatively high even when Yao comes back. Chuck Hayes may be the odd man out. I think unless he is playing well he will be yanked for the night in favor of Juwan in the future.

8. mag

mag Contributing Member

I JH keeps playing like the last couple of games, there is no question that Juwan should be starting. Hayes provides more rebounding, but at the same time teams pretty much use his defender to switch and help other defenders. I just remember yesterday, when Sacramento put Artest on Hayes, and Artest pretty much ignore Hayes and was just free lancing on the paint.
    Also, Hayes is a foul machine.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

JH or Hayes is a huge question when Yao comes back along with giving Deke more of Yao's minutes. The team has been playing great without Yao and if we can win 2 of the upcoming three games against the Spurs, Mavs and Suns, then I think JVG has to think about playing Deke/JH for significant minutes when Yao comes back.

No question the Rox winning like they have suprises everyone and maybe they are playing way over their heads. But if they play at an .800 clip when Yao comes back, I would think JVG has to play Deke/JH/TMac/Battier/Alston as his starting 5.

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

You are crazy. Deke's wheels may have fallen off by thetime Yao returns

Not to mention he's no where near as good as Yao.

We would have scored 150 agaisnt Sacramento last night with Yao.

The Kings weakside defense was nonexistent, because they would put 4 players on the Tmac side of the floor and would leave Rahim to guard both Dikembe and Rafer (smart decision).

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When Yao returns, JH obviously should stay as a starter for a while. When Yao starts getting a large number of minutes and shot attempts, JVG can take a look and see. Personally, I want Chuck on the floor as much as possible to reduce Juwan's minutes. How much longer he can be productive with such heavy minutes is a big question. The Juwan we see now needs to be there in the playoffs. I don't want his wheels to fall off either.

macfan, you are right on. If we had Yao last night it would have been no contest.

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Hayes as starter and Howard for offense when Yao goes out, even though Juwan is the better player in my opinion. We still need a big in there with SOME offense threat when Yao goes out.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

hayes.

both players have done better with starters minutes, but we will need howards scoring off the bench more than hayes' hustle.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This is off-topic but I would like commend JVG for taking out Juwan cuz of his bad D on Williamson. He didn'y play a lot of the fourth and overtime period. Juwan was great on offense but wasn't doing his job on D.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

They both have serious defects and positive attributes.
    Howard good spot up stand still shooter,good free thrower, plays little defence and keeps making the same foul in every game.
    Hayes has a good eye for rebounding and some put backs, poor free thrower, too many fouls, poor scorer.

Both are just make do players! We need fresh thinking about this position.

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

defintely hayes. we dont need juwon taking shots with yao having the ball 80% of the time. juwon's main positive is his midrange jumper but he wont see the ball with tmac on the perimeter and yao in the paint. hayes is the perfect compliment b/c he can clean up the boards and provides hustle.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm conflicted, which I can't believe I'm even saying. Howard has really stepped up, big time. Didn't think he had it in him. He's been decent playing team D, but as has been pointed out, how much of that is playing with Deke? I think you have to give Howard a shot at starting. He's earned it.

Isn't this a little premature? Getting Yao back presents us with problems I'd like to have!

18. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I think Howard is a better player at this point (due to Hayes' foul trouble), but Hayes compliments Yao nicely.

Howard can bring effective rebounding and scoring off the bench for 25 m/g...plus, a 2nd team including Bonzi, Head, and Howard gives at least 3 scoring options when TMAC and Yao are on the bench.

That would help prevent the offense stalling as it has at times in the past when are two leaders are out of the game for rest or foul trouble.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hayes

Nothing against Howard since he's stepped up and proved about 96% of us in this forum wrong, but Hayes' game compliments Yao's so much better. His defense and rebounding are great to start off with while we have Howard coming off the bench kind of in that Jerry Stackhouse-Mavericks role the way they use him.

20. blender

blender Member

I'd have to say Hayes mainly because Hayes and Mutombo are too offensively challenged to play effectively as a second unit. Juwan and Mutombo complement each other as much as Hayes and Yao do.
    But I can see us going with Juwan and Yao during the fourth quarter more if Juwan keeps up his play.