1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When would Tim Hardaway be fired?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by YaoROY, Dec 6, 2002.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Marv did as well as Eddie Johnson, Kevin
    Johnson, and James Worthy did.

Excellent. All the former players I mentioned
    above are great NBA analyst.

Remember, it's not about being a "rookie"
    is about if you are trained to do the job or not.

Hardaway clearly isn't qualified.

2. DavidS

Thank you! This insults all broadcast/journalism students! I mean, why should you get a degree in broadcasting if all you have to do is be a "good" as Hardaway?

#22 DavidS, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  3. dn1282

dn1282 Member

I just like how Tim Hardaway always repeats what Kevin Frazier said before passing it to Tim.

KF: Tim, Yao Ming is really playing well right now.
    TH: Yea, Yao is really playing well right now. (Then goes off stating his "analysis".
    KF: The Heat are horrible today.
    TH: Yea, they're horrible... "Analysis"

Just watch...he ALWAYS repeats what Frazier says as his first line. And he always ends everything by saying "They're playing hard right now and sharing the ball. That's what it's all about, sharing. Everyone's playing hard, and driving to the hoop." He uses that line at least 3 times every friday.

4. DavidS

LOL!! :D Yeah, you and DCkid are right about that one.

He does repeat what Frazier says!

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great thread! I totally agree. I have nothing against Hardaway personally but the guy just can't articulate his thoughts well. He gives no insightful analysis. Heck, forget analysis, if we could just get one well spoken sentence from him it would be a huge plus. ABC made a HUGE mistake when they hired Eric Dickerson as a sideline reporter on MNF...and now they make a huge blunder with Tim Hardaway. How did these guys even make it on camera. Did they even try out for the job!?!?! To quote Bill Walton "Horrrrrrrible!

I understand that ESPN wanted to get a former player to do analysis but was Hardaway the ONLY one available? Why not stick Tim Legler from NBA2Nite in there? If Sean Elliott wasn't doing the color for the Friday night game then I would think he would be perfect in there. In fact the Tuesday ESPN2 NBA Fastbreak crew of Frazier, Elliott and Legler are pretty good as a team.

I also want to echo the comments above about that Sal Kazemma guy that does the sideline reporting for the Friday night late game. He does nothing for me. I think they got him from ESPN2's X-Games telecasts. I guess he is supposed to appeal to the young hip crowd! Whatever!

I understand that ESPN wants to have a "fresh and hip" NBA show but enough with these guys that can't speak clearly! And this includes you Stewy Boo-Yah Scott on the Wednesday NBA show! Enough with the ebonics! I find some of it funny but a little goes a LONG way! After a while it really DETRACTS from the professionalism of the telecast! Stick with your manner of speak for the ESPN SportsCenter telecasts please!

Overall I feel that ESPN does a decent job with the telecasts and I have been pleased by them but the above problems I mentioned really detract from ESPN's presentation!

Chris

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

One question Tim

How do you spell ask???

Tim Hardaway spells is AKS

With on earth when it is presumed he will ask questions, that he has to say just let me aks you a question???

GIVE HIM THE ARSE!!!!

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

You guys are nuts. There's no justfiable reason for getting rid of Tim Hardaway. Behind the Osbornes, he's the funniest thing currently on television. If he goes, I don't know what I'll watch on Wednesdays and Fridays.

8. dn1282

dn1282 Member

Well looks like Timmy is gone :D Greg Anthony to the rescue? Ehh...whatever...but he is a LOT more articulate than studder-man-hardaway. Looks like he actually prepares for what he'll be talking about. You can actually see papers and a pen in his hand! It always looked like Hardaway had no preparation...like he was trying to improv. Bad choice tim ;)

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

damn, greg anthony isn't just well-spoken and articulate for an athlete, he seems damn smart. i watched about 10 minutes of him on-camera and he may have messed up once and otherwise was throwing 10-dollar words around like it was no thang. thank you espn for getting rid of hardaway and bringing in someone qualified like anthony.

and dvauthrin, what's up with the kenny mayne diss. you make it sound like he just got here and has no clue. i know which show you were talking about (the remix one) and i think he stumbled over something but he always does a good job of saying something funny about errors, seems fairly quick-witted, is funny overall, and is one of the better sportscenter personalities. he isn't the problem. and kevin frazier has really impressed me. he and john anderson need to do more sportscenters. i have seen two with them and they already seem to have good chemistry in the eisen/scott mold.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JUST....IN....TIME.....

Greg Anthony is brought into "NBA Shootaround" just in time for the show to hit NATIONAL TV on ABC on Chirstmas Day. I don't think they wanted Tim Hardaway fumbling with words on ABC's showcase Christmas day games. I thought Greg Anthony was excellant. He was articulate and GASP...actually provided "ANALYSIS" to the games versus Hardaway's approach of rehashing what Kevin Frasier says.

For the record, Tim Hardaway was NOT fired or anything but is moving to Wednesdays with Boo-Yah Stewy Scott. God help us with those two guys taking! I doubt I will understand a single word!

Chris

11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Kenny Mayne knows his stuff, but trust me, he needs to become way more original and conversationalistic in his voice.

Sorry, but his favorite line of players x number of homers, not in this game, that would be a record is not funny or witty, and is way overplayed, and his voice sounds tired and unenthuasistic, I mean he sounds like he just woke up half the time, and the other half its still bland. John Anderson is even worse no doubt.

It was more a diss at the chemistry on set for that show, f4p, as you have you understand I watch these shows now not just for my sports fix, but critically speaking as well.

Kevin Frasier is actually the best sportscenter host now, and stuart scott comes off too non serious, in the sense he always talks slang whenever he can fit it in.

I still love the show, but understand I watch for voice inflection, angles of shots, jump cuts, etc. It is my future and I will do everything possible to succeed at it.

And I will always be a rockets, longhorns, astros fan even as an announcer for another team or covering all sports, that will never subside, it's just there is a time and place for everything.

You may all think I am crazy for picking on ESPN and Hardaway, but it's way been happening way before that, look at Trev Alberts, Mark May, Tim Legler, Greg Anthony, Jay Bilas, Ron Jaworski, Sterling Sharpe, Merril Hoge, Tom Jackson-the last few starting with Bilas are quality, in my opinion, but still, these are all ex-pros who don't in all probability have journalism degrees, getting hired into journalism roles. In some cases with training it works, in others "see Hardaway" it fails. But my point is, it should not be a prerequisite at major media sports outlets to be an ex-pro, there are plenty of very intelligent, well spoken, hard working reporters who can do as good of a job as the majority of the people I listed above. If you are going to be blackballed for not being athletic, which I can site plenty of examples of broadcast hires of ex-athletes, then why bother, is my point?

I will make it, either locally or nationally, and I can live without going national, but don't think it doesn't insult me that sports TV has become a refuge for retired athletes simply based on name and drawing power.

I realize it's a business, and I will be a part of it, but it doesn't mean I have to like everything about the way it is conducted.

Especially as a reporter, if you lose your ability to speak freely and think for yourself, you are going to not reach your potential.

I apologize if I am offending some here who like the ex-athletes doing sports reporting or the approach by the industry, I just want to make it very clear that as a broadcast journalism major/future reporter, seeing these things hits me very close to home, and impacts me greatly.

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't wait for Wed. broadcasts. Timmy "malaprop" Hardway rulz!
    You got skeelzz, T! If they can just feed him 2 or 3 catchphrases, he'll be fi-ne.

Brand on the put-back! Yo Timmy, how 'bout dat!

Da bomb! What you talkin' about Willis? Howza! He got skeelz!

Time out, Mavs!

Mavs are 2-14 in the last 15 min. Clips still can't capitalize. What do you think Alvin Gentry will call in this timeout? And what about Don Nelson?

Mavs are 2-4... wha-t? Yo, yo.
    Da bomb! What you talkin' about Willis? Howza! Skeelz!

Game plan, Timmy?

Yo, yo, ain't nutin' but a thang. G-man pass the ball aroun', money. Take it to the ho! Skeellz!

Howza, TD, Boo-ya.

13. mj230

mj230 Member

you ask whats wrong with tim hardaway?
    if i wanted to listen to rap, i'd put on a cd.
    he's all hip and no substance.

14. mj230

mj230 Member

just give the guy some time...do you see some potential there? :confused: