1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When will Donatas Motiejunas come to houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by n8dagr8, Mar 27, 2012.

1. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Nope, sorry, Patterson is going to get traded because we will not be able to find a trade partner for Scola, but the bell will be ringing for P-Pat, which is TOTALLY cool, I would like Donuts to play backup minutes at the 4.

I'm sure he'll be ready, just has to adjust a bit.

2. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Hahah trade Patterson... WHY

we have to see how Donuts even plays in the NBA first.. Anytime a player who has a worse case of Yi Jianlian and David Anderson and goes 20th overall.. you just never know if they will be good. Donuts is also very soft

And im sure we can find a trade partner for Luis Scola( he is not a bad player)

3. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I expect him to be starting after a few games or so. Donatas is a very special talent that will surprise a lot of people here.

4. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

I agree man. Motiejunas can be a beast. if he lives up to his potential. Kevin McHale transformed KG into an all-time great. Not saying that will happen for Motie.... but im just saying he is in good hands here in Houston

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I cant guarantee alot of things when it comes to the Rockets, but I can guarantee you that Montiejunas (as siked as I am about him myself) will not be starting for at least the first half of the season next year unless there is a ridiculously major trade that guts the team in half.

He's going to get a good offseason & training camp which will do wonders, but he's not going to beat out Scola and Patterson that easily.

Its all going to come down to how quickly he can pick up NBA defense. The sooner he gets acclimated to that, the sooner he will get playing time on the Rockets. That being said, IMO, he's the most exciting draft pick the Rockets have taken probably since Yao Ming.

6. DUHK

DUHK Member

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is it that makes him so special? I don't follow his game too much. I watched a lot of his highlights, but I don't put too much into highlight videos because they obviously can make a bad player look good. Can anyone share some insight on his game and what all the excitement is about? Thanks!

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Parsons started, so I wouldn't rule it out :) If Motiejunas is outplaying everybody he will start

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

-Legit 7-footer
    -Elite first step
    -Polished post-player and face-up player
    -Good jumper
    -Runs the floor extremely well for a big man
    -Vastly improved rebounding this year (which was the big knock on him draft day)

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Motiejunas has a number of very tangible assets. At 7'+ he is highly coordinated, quick, has handles, passes well, and has range out to the 3 point line. He fell out of the top of the draft when questions about his rebounding, motor and toughness came to light.

However, between the draft combine and the start of the Euro League season he went from 220 pounds to 238 pounds. This season in Europe he has shown that he can rebound. He averaged almost 2 more rebounds a game than Scola's best season. His low block play has improved and he has shown a somewhat below average 3 point shooting %, but few people doubt that he will be an outside weapon.

I'm not certain where his eventual position will be in the NBA. He joked about playing Howard in an interview. This depends on how much weight he can pack on. He probably projects to be a "Dirk" like player in a few years but at the 5. Of course no one shoots like Dirk though. His quickness and the ability to extend out to the 3 point line would give most centers fits in the NBA. He would be a match up nightmare for most PF's in the league.

I am not sure where his defense is. However with his quickness, another 15 pounds of muscle and his length he will probably at least hold his own.

Expect to see him in a Rocket's uniform next season.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pau Gasol is the best comparison for him. He has a little bit of Dirk in him with his range out to the three point line, but his style of game is more focused on posting up/facing up than perimeter shooting and fadeaway jumpers.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I find it impossible to disagree with your viewpoint. Gasol with a little bit of Dirk. Could be a lot worse.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, that's the ceiling anyway :) I hope he gets there!

13. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

If he is a 7 footer why is there no talks of him becoming our center? I really don't wanna see The geezer club (Camby and Dalembert) out there for our near future any longer.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He would probably need to get stronger to start at center. I like him better as a PF, he has the quickness for it and his 7 foot height gives him serious mismatch potential.

15. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

I'd actually like for Scola to be here next year instead of traded away to make room for Donuts. Luis is Donut's favorite player and it'd just be cool to see Donuts on the same team as his idol. Not to mention Scola would have a good influence on him as a rookie.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I believe that is where he is projected. It may take him a season or two to put on enough weight. But as I described above it is promising.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, again going back to the Gasol comparison... he can be a center in the same sense that Pau is a center, in other words more of a big PF who can slide over.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

" He would prove to be a powerful ally if he could be turned"........darth sidious

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The geezer club only fits with Camby. Dally is about one year younger than Female Gasol.... and people are arguing that he is still capable of playing three years? Duh.....

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No. He is a PF. Could you stick him at Center? Yes but you aren't taking advantage of his strengths on mismatches and ultimately Motiejunas at center is a waste. He's a Power Forward.