1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When next year comes around, can we afford Tim Duncan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

I'd take Duncan over Brand any day of the year. Brand's good, great even but I don't think he'll ever be a Tim duncan. Duncan is gonna go down in history as one of the best players ever. Duncan's maturity,Bball IQ and demeanor makes him a perfect fit for this team and he is a leader. Duncan can back ming up and Ming can back Duncan up.

When we get another shot at Duncan, Duncan will be old and Ming will be wanting the max or a max else where (Will Ming stay in houston forever?).

2. Axeman

Axeman Member

Not quite... He's from the U.S. Virgin Islands.

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The Rox are over the cap...so the only way to do it is via trade. SA is NOT going to trade Duncan...PERIOD. You could offer them the whole team...lock, stock and Yao Ming...and they STILL wouldn't trade Duncan.

Even if we weren't over the cap, just remember that SA can pay Duncan whatever they want and go over the cap without penalty. Duncan will have Bird rights. No way the Rox will be able to top that offer.

It was a nice thought though. If we could get Duncan I'd be interested.

4. Axeman

Axeman Member

This will never happen. What the Rockets need to do is let Ming be a superstar and not bring another superstar into the mix that will take the ball and minutes away from him. Steve Francis and Ming are the cornerstones of this team now. We don't need Duncan. Ming is going to be better than Duncan. As it stands right now, he's probably as good or better than Duncan from a basketball skills perspective.

It's time to change the mentality about the Rockets. We don't have to be desperate for trades anymore. We just need to be patient while Ming develops. Give him two more years and we will be contenders. Trust me.

5. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

AGREE!!!!1

6. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Thank you refman, no one on this board seems to understand cap rules, you can't just trade players around, its pretty damn hard to make a trade go through. Refman - voice of reason.

7. Cipherous

"He was very impressive. He has a great touch, and he is bigger than you think he is in person. He shot the ball better than I thought he could. We had a hand in his face, and it didn't matter. He played great."

- Spurs center and NBA MVP Tim Duncan after playing Yao and losing to the Rockets, 12/3/02

Quotes from Duncan, obviously he knows what Yao Ming is capable of. The thought of playing with Ming must've his mind and I am pretty sure it'll cross his mind again when he is defending shaq.

Him and Robinson played togather and Robinson was at his prime and Robinson was already a superstar. Duncan does not pad his stats but he is consistent and he does distribute the ball. With Steve gone, there'll plenty of shots to go around. Besides, Yao doesn't even take that many shots, he looks to pass first and to shoot second. When he is being double teamed and Duncan is wide open, guess who gets the credit for the assist?

Don't get me wrong, Steve is a great player but I'd take Duncan over Steve anyday (as would any GM in the league).

According to refman, the rockets are already over the limit so this thread is pointless.

sigh, I got really excited at the thought of Duncan and Ming togather.

:(

8. Cipherous

I honestly think Duncan would rather win titles rather then getting paid 20 mil+ and be the next KG.

Maybe Brand wasn't a bad idea but he's obviously the clipper's best player. I think Sterling is gonna building around him and let Kandi go else where,just cause Brand has a much bigger impact then Kandi probably will on any team.

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

First of all, let's say if we do get Duncan, who's gonna get the shots? We'd have Yao, TD and maybe SF and cat all fighting for shots, in which case each of them ends up with less.

Secondly, how are we supposed to fit Duncan under our cap? With MoT and Moochie earning what they earn we'll never be able to afford them. Thank god Rice will be gone next season.

Finally, Duncan's not from the Dominican Republic, he's from Virgin Islands.

We do need a good 4 but getting Duncan is simply not realistic.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hi guys, I'm an ambassador from a little planet called Earth. Greetings from the "real world."

There's no way in hell that we could get Duncan, not because he wouldn't want to come here, but because we can't afford him. It's already been explained. Also, even if we had Duncan, how would we pay Ming. 3 players under max contracts is ludicrous. At least some of you finally understand the value of Mobley when it comes to production and his small contract. Parker is over rated. He's averaging less assists than Francis. Damn, I mean what is with you guys, now, even when we win there are still people wanting to mess with what's already a good thing.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah... imagine making a team with less than 25% of the remaining salary cap. Maybe I can get my shot as a the water boy's replacement (he's starting SG).

But these trade proposals are fun to think of...

12. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I won't really see tons of value in Mobley until he shows me over the course of a season (not just a few weeks) that he can play TEAM basketball. Over time, Cat will have to shoot less and let Steve and Yao take over completely. Cat will have to accept being a role player. Very important...but doesn't look as cool in the boxscore.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't know why you think that Mobley cares more about his stats than winning. If he had that mentality and personality, wouldn't he have taken the bigger pay check from Toronto? When this team had guys like Mo and Dream still playing, Mobley didn't shoot as much. When All of those guys plus Francis were gone, of course he started shooting and scoring more, he had to pick up the slack. Thomas averaged more points last year too, more than he will average this year, because he had to. Mobley is shooting less, his assists are on the way up too.

Obviously, it will take an entire season to measure what Mobley has changed, but you can say that for anybody. If I followed your logic, I would say that even though Yao is getting better by the day, I still need an entire season to judge him and until then, I'll believe that he is a young inexperienced player who shouldn't be starting yet. Why can't you just ease up and say, "hey, Cat is doing a better job, shooting less, passing more, hope he does it all year," instead of "Cat is a ball hog and until the season is over, I'm still going to believe he is a ball hog." If Cat continues with what he's been doing, would you still call him a ball hog on the 2nd to last game of the season???

14. lovermanbuda

lovermanbuda Member

I totally agree. I understand what u guys are saying but do u really wanna trade ur ALL STAR point guard. That is just bull. The point guard is one of the hardest position to fill and you wanna trade Steve. Ahh come on...........this thread is making me sick. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember people saying Eddie is out future. Can't u guys make up ur mind. I would never trade Steve Francis and Yao Ming. With a good sg in Cuttino Mobley and a pf just waiting to blossom in Eddie Griffin, y not just wait and see what the future holds for this young team. And if I was a rockets player or even Steve Francis and read this thread this would have been really discouraging.
    Just my 2 cents.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

Even if we gutted our team (which there is no way the Rockets would do this) and kept only Yao, Steve, Mobley plus the three untradeable contracts in Rice, Taylor and Cato, our payroll would be at 47.5 mil (aprox.). Even if the cap is at $50 mil next season, that would leave us WAY short of what we need left to sign Duncan (who will probably get $10 to $15 mil per season).

No way we can sign him and I can guarantee you, no way the Spurs are gonna trade him in the middle of the season, much less to someone in their own division.

16. snorkeljim

snorkeljim Member

For those of you who said Duncan and Yao will be on a same team (Spurs will trade him since he gonna walk anyway scenario), what kinda soybean milks ya drinking? Never happen, never will, cause Spurs would sheds out all the free money to sign someone like Kandi-man and continue to harass the Rockets for years to come, now that’s a more plausible scenario. It's likes a Spurs or a Lakers fan saying "why don't we trade for Yao so he can play with Duncan or Kobe/Shaq, since Yao will probably walk after his contract anyway and there's not a single thing the Rocks can do about it, so they'll most likey trade him for some scrubs anyway"....yada yada... If ya think that Duncan can just walk away from the Spurs ala Shaq from Orlando, then the same case scenario can be said for Yao, since he'll most likely will left for the Lakers scenario...It'll NOT happen, since both Duncan and Yao are loyal to their team "kinda guys", and their respective organization will do EVERYTHING to keep them...or maybe Spurs management come down with stinking tofu amnesia and trade Duncan to the Rocks afterall...ha...ha...dreams on, dream is good except when passing the point of hallucination:D

#36 snorkeljim, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  17. AMS_blackwidow

we might WANT him but we dont need him, we are doing just fine with who we have,,, just like all the Rox fans that wanted MJ, or wanted Darius miles, or wanted Chris Webber,,

18. Deltar

Deltar Member

I enjoyed reading your post for the most part.. until I saw this..
    <p>
    <p>
    Terrible. Then Tony Parker taking Steve's starting spot. *shudders*

19. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Our PF's will carry us to the playoffs but not much further.

We still need a more consistent player to complement Yao on the low blocks to have any chance to contend. It doesn't have to be Duncan, but it has to be better than what we have - unless what we have improves dramatically. The only chance of that is for EG to significantly improve. A possibility that still exists.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Duncan is either in SA next year or in Florida...