1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

when is jerome mathis comin back

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bplld, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

When is he coming back if he is coming back this season? He is coming back this season right?

2. blackistan

blackistan Member

Im glad u brought him up cuz i wuz wondering wut happend to him I thought they got rid of him or something cuz i never hear about him wher u at jerome

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He may come back later in the season, but won't know till probably week 8 or 9.

Mathis's career in Houston may be over. Edell Shepherd has looked almost as good as Mathis on kickoff returns so far. If Edell keeps it up, it will be hard to keep Mathis next year if he doersn't improve his route running as a WR.

4. Summer Song Giver

I would hope not, he was electric on kickoff and punt returns and maybe one of the fastest guys in the league. Hopefully he won't be cut for Edith Shepard.

5. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

im sorry edell will never be a pro bowler or an all pro

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I don't agree that Edell has looked almost as good as Mathis did last year. Mathis is so much more explosive but I agree that Mathis needs to improve his route running and hands at WR. Since Mathis was placed on the PUP list, he will be eligible to return off the PUP list for play in Week 7 if he's healthy enough to practice and play. If he is not activated 21 days after Week 6, then his season will be over and be placed in the IR.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I prefer Mathis as well at kick returner, event hough Edell has been pretty good in the past two games. The NFL generally doesn't place that high of a value on kick returns because if your kick returner gets a lot of touches, you've probably already lost the game anyway. From some things Kubiak says, I think that he wants the returner to be an offensive or defensive guy first and a special teams player second.

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i dont think edell shepard is nearly as dangerous as mathis. mathis is a proven young kickoff returner and he will only improve. His speed is rediculous and something that Shepard will never match

9. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Mathis got 2 tds and averaged like 35 yds or somethin per kickoff enen though he didnt start till 4-5 games into the season. I think he was trying out for the olympic team too. That guy is good, no way that the texans pass up on him. His offensive game does suck but the kickoff and punt returns should cancel that out. Mathis wouldnt last a minute as a free agent.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mathis only averaged 0.5 yards more last year than Edell Shepherd has this year for the Texans. The 2 TDs is pretty big. Time will tell if Shepherd can keep it up and maybe get himself one of those TDs.