1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

I really did not get into it until about 1999. I was 10.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Born in H-Town 1983... raised with Olajuwon's career

Moved to CA in 93 and celebrated both championships there

Now glad to be back...

3. Utah Dreamer

Utah Dreamer Member

4. steven_orgy

steven_orgy Member

1994-1995 season

5. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

6. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

I moved to Houston when I was 3 years old, and I do not remember a time when I was not a Rockets fan. I don't know what got me started, maybe I just happened to find a game on TV. I am too young to have seen Olajuwon play (14) but I do clearly remember the days of T-Mac's prime.. I wasn't hopping on any bandwagon, cause I'm still here today.

7. sluggo832004

sluggo832004 Member

When I was in 3rd grade. 1993-94.

8. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

A couple of years before the fresh prince of bellaire was drafted... :grin:

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Early 80's.... as a kid... and skyrocketed (pun intended) after Phi Slama Jama.

10. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

That was it for me too. Early teens. Wasn't easy following your team in those days, especially when you lived around 70 miles away.

11. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

1986. Rockets had just beaten the Lakers, everyone was talking about playing the Celtics. I was 11 years old and in middle school at the time, definitely jumped on the bandwagon. After that point I watched games with my Dad, and started watching them on my own. I remember Bill Fitch, Rodney McCray, Lew Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins, Robert Reid, Sampson, and, of course, Akeem. I remember the let down after the team fell apart after that year. I remember Sleepy Floyd joining the team. I remember drafting Robert Horry. I remember Sam Cassell and Elie finishing games. These are just a few of the highlights over the years.

I will say that its only in hindsight that I realize what greatness I watched when I watched Hakeem. I remember expecting Hakeem to score every time down the court and being disappointed when he didn't.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

:grin:

I can't remember exactly, I was a kid, but the first games I went to featured Moses, Calvin Murphy, Mike Dunleavy, Robert Reid, Rick Berry... I met Rudy after a game... this was a time when the players would come up into the stands after a game to meet fans and sign autographs. Can you imagine?

Along for the ride for all the ups and downs since.

13. McKinleyH

McKinleyH Member

My general sports teams awareness started 1977ish, and solidified on through the early 1980's. Rockets, Oilers and Astros put together some good teams around then.

14. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

Born in Houston in '86. Moved to SF Bay Area '90. Never really followed any sports other than those great 49ers teams of the 90s. When the Rockets won the championship in 94, my relatives in Houston sent me a box of Rockets gear; same thing happened the next year. I rocked the back-2-back championship hat until I lost it. Fell off after around 98/99. I regret not following more; Hakeem was truly a once in a lifetime talent.

When Yao got drafted by the Rockets, it was really big news; my hometown team just got the biggest Chinese star ever. I'm Chinese. Since 2003, I've been following the team, reading Clutchfans, and watching as many games as I can. I live in CA so I have to resort to streaming most games. We need more nationally televised games! I was never a fan of the GSW, though I do remember the buzz around the Mullin/Hardaway teams.

Getting Lin is pretty awesome. He played his high school ball here in the bay area. So it'll be nice rooting for a home-grown kid on the Rockets.

Random: My dad was attending UH during the Phi Slamma Jamma years. A shame he wasn't really into sports then.

15. ashiin

ashiin Member

When I started following basketball in 5th grade, I didn't want to be like all my friends who were in love with the Lakers and the Nets so I followed my favorite player at that time, Steve Francis. Then after that my second favorite player T-Mac came to the Rockets and it was just all Rockets since then.

16. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

After the Knicks decided to not match Lin's contract.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I was 6 years old in 1997 when my dad sat me down for a talk. He gave me his championship shirt from '95 and said "son, I want you to watch these videos (on VHS) and then you can go with me to home games from now on". I watched both championship videos and fell in love. Ever since then I've been a mega Rockets fan that also in time grew to love the Astros and Texans just as much. Houston born, bred, and in my blood forever.

18. thugLove

thugLove Contributing Member

I definitely remember this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JnyWar8uOTI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

well ive been a fan since birth. afterall, my entire family has been living here since '89, and my two older brothers loved the rockets since before i was born and when i was born, in '96, i had a baby rockets jersey, the navy blue one with hakeem's name and number.
    i started following the rockets right after they aquired tracy mcgrady.
    i stated following the rockets religiously a couple of years ago.
    im still a newbie compared to some of yall.

20. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

[​IMG]

Hoping for a great season :)