1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

The first game I remember watching was in the mid to late 80s. My parents arent from Houston (I am though), so we didn't watch alot of Houston sports until I was old enough to take the remote from my parents, which was right around the time of our championships. Good timing! lol

2. tonyt8605

tonyt8605 Member

Well I'm 26 so growing up I followed only the teams/players that were on TV enough and on the news enough for me to remember. That just happen to be the Bulls and Rockets of the 90s.

That being said, I became a true Rockets fan during their first championship run and have hung with em since then.

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

1991-1992 season... David Wood, Sleepy Floyd, and the like were still on the team. First big winning streak the following season, and I went to the game where the Sonics snapped that streak.

4. sergio

sergio Member

Don't remember. I must have been born this way.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

since the days of Moses... :p

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

1971 (is that the year they came here?) I was a varsity basketball player. I had cut my teeth watch The Big E shoot turnaround jumpers from the top of the key at Delmar Fieldhouse. As I recall, the first home Rocket game was an exhibition at Astrohall against the Sixers featuring Doug Collins and future Rocket coach Dave Wohl.

7. David Stern

David Stern Member

When Lin signed :p

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Long enough to remember this.

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCGI_O0WkLs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCGI_O0WkLs?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  9. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Around '78 when I went to my first Rocket's game. The '80-'81 team that went to the finals made me a diehard fan though and have been ever since.

10. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'm one of the younger fans. Back when I was 7 or 8 and McGrady got traded here, I instantly (bandwagoned) became a fan. I didn't know much about basketball at the time other than "TMAC DA BEST". As time went on and I grew attached to some of the other players, I started to stick. McGrady's gone and I'm a Rockets fan until I die.

11. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

In the Eightys when we faced the damnable Boston celtics twice in the finals.

Watched the likes of Allen leavel, the big whopper, frank johnson, the blade. Hurts to remember the dynasty that wasn't but shoulda been.

12. RocketRaccoon

Man, thanks for the memories! repping!

13. Possum

Possum Member

I was early seventies. Around 73 or 74. It was right before Malone got here.

14. RocketRaccoon

when I was repping rockbox most of the dialogue box was under the video...kinda guessed at what I was doing...

anyway, thought someone should know

15. Possum

Possum Member

i will never forget the game where Sleepy Floyd went off for 64 (I think) or close to it. The Sonics had our number back then. :mad:

16. NVDem Rockets

NVDem Rockets Member

^What he said, but I'm 27. :grin:

17. eaglepoke56

eaglepoke56 Member

I guess it was 1970 or so. I didn't have a favorite NBA team and, frankly, didn't watch a lot of it. But I was enamored with the " Big E" in college and decided wherever he went to in the pros would become my favorite team. The rest is history!!!

18. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Been a fan since 1932

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

20. M4-Nightvision

since Yao and Jeremy !