1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you start following the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Trackball, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

When the San Diego Rockets drafted Elvin Hayes #1 in the 1968 draft. I was a big fan of Hayes when he was at UH. In 1971, the Rockets, incredibly, moved to Houston, and I couldn't have been happier. However, a problem cropped up when they traded Elvin to the Baltimore Bullets the next season, because they didn't want to pay him, I think. Anyway, been a fan ever since.

2. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I was too young to understand, but 1991 was when I first became a basketball fan..I then started avidly watching in 93...just in the nick of time!

3. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

I "unconsciously" followed them during the late 90s, and really began to understand and follow them a little closer when Yao was drafted.

After McGrady came here in a trade (right about the time I began high school), is when I truly understood everything that went on and really got into it.

4. Badrose

Badrose Member

In 198...something. In europe, especially here in Italy, there was a band named Les Rockets and I was a huge fan of them. Then, when I started to follow the NBA and saw a team with the same name... Well, easy choice.

5. Htown2200

Htown2200 Member

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Around 1986 when I was about 8 years old. Didn't go to my first game till around 1988 against the Denver Nuggets.

7. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

79-80 I was like 12 .. I'd watched the Rockets before that season but that was the year I really became a die-hard fan.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

1993 just like the first poster.

been following them since.

9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

See sig.

Started watching NBA action back in the very early 90s and my favourite player was Robert Parish......until I saw highlights of Hakeem and instantly changed my favourite player to him and started following the Rockets and have not stopped since.

10. vick

vick Member

When they moved from San Diego to Houston.I was in the Navy at the time. In Yokuska Japan. Viet Nam was going on at that time. Trickey Dick was our President. Those
    were the days.

1 person likes this.
  11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

About 9 months before I was born.

12. ballclub

ballclub Member

1976 when they drafted John Lucas #1 in the draft. Unfortunately, the NBA ripped him out of Houston when the Rockets signed Rick Barry as a free agent, and they had this stupid rule where you had to provide compensation to the team you signed the player away from. And I believe the Commissioner got to decide which player you would have to give up, and they made the Rockets give up Lucas. Can you imagine that happening today?

The next year, I went to the Summit to see my first NBA game (against the Bucks) with this new player the Rockets had just acquired: Moses Malone.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The year was 1971, Tex Winter was the coach. I've seen it all since that time.

14. Omron

Omron Member

Twin Towers - Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson. I still remember the poster.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I started the same year they won the first championship.

16. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I've been a BIG fan since 1981! I don't root for any other teams except da Roxs! :)

17. TheresTheDagger

1991... the year I moved to Houston.

Was a big NBA fan before that....Celtics mainly. But always enjoyed watching the Rockets in the late 80's in the playoffs. Seemed like back then we were always playing Seattle.

18. Trackball

Trackball Member

Uh...no it isn't. I was asking a serious question.

I just didn't have the good sense to ask this a week ago.

19. Htowndg47

Htowndg47 Member

I moved to Houston when i was 5 in 1981 met Robert Reid 1983 at McDonalds on S.Main. He gave me an autographed ball been a die hard Rockets fan ever since.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I moved to Houston in 1983. At that time everyone was talking about Phi Slama Jamma so I started watching that on TV because I hadn't much else to do and their run into the NCAA's. Then when Rockets drafted Hakeem I just followed him along. And I would try to imitate his moves as a little kid so really Hakeem was definitely a hero of mine growing up.

Was so happy when he finally won in 1994 & 1995 because I always felt he never got the respect he deserved as a big man. Only now does he seem to get it. It's very nice to see and great to be a Rockets fan for now I think 28 years.