1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first start REALLY watching the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RC Cola, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Akeem's first year. I followed him right from college on to the pros and have been
    a die hard Rockets fan since.

2. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

What year did "the Shark" Mike Newlin play with "the Pocket Rocket" Calvin Murphy and a lanky kid named Rudy Tomjanovich? I remember the Kermit Washington sucker punch, but for the life of me I can't remember the years. I think it was back in the mid to late 70s that I became a total fan of the Rockets.

3. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

I started watching in 89-90 when they went 41-41 and lost to the Lakers 3-1 in the first round. The next year I really got into them again, the Rockets went 52-30 and had a 13 game winning streak in the middle of the season. But sadly, they lost to the Lakers again, 3-0. Those teams consisted of:

Akeem Olajuwon
    Otis Thorpe
    Buck Johnson
    Vernon Maxwell
    Kenny Smith
    Sleepy Floyd
    Larry Smith
    Dave Jamerson
    Tim McKormick
    Kernard Winchester

just to name a few.

4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I started watching when the twin towers came to life. I was 6 yrs old and I was in L.A. at that time. Everyone was rooting for the lakers and since I was pissed at everyone for making fun of me because I was so young I rooted for the rockets. And hell they won and went to the finals. Since then I've been an Akeem/Hakeem Fan and a rockets fan. Can't wait to see the rockets upset the lakers again so i can laugh at their faces once more!!!

5. DBOSTEJANO

DBOSTEJANO Contributing Member

My first full season was after the Sampson shot agaisnt the Lake Show in 86, and the finals apperance agaisnt the Bird. I remeber being up late waiting for the replay of the game so that I could see the shot heard around the Gulf...and the west coast.

Man those were the days.....but nothing like the Championship run....Now those were some days....I remember I had tickets to Game 7 agaisnt the Knicks and I sold them, made some money and went home to watch on the TV. I regret it everyday..nothing is worth the chance of history......Oh well....

dbostejano

6. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Man that sucks, because I can honestly say, being at Game 7 was one of the best experiences of my life. We had a half season package that year, so we got to go to all of the playoff games. That was a hell of an experience, all the way to Game 7, there was no doubt in my mind we would beat the Knicks.

7. Live

Live Member

I really started to follow the Rockets during Dream's rookie year.

Honestly, 'Phi Slamma Jamma' made me a die-hard BBall fan (also, being that I was about 10 or 11 at the time, that's when I started to realize what I was watching), so when Dream was drafted by the Rockets, it was a natural transition.

8. Blue

Blue Member

I first became a rockets fan when they were in the '86 playoffs. I was a 2nd grader at Will Rogers Elementary which was not even a mile away from The Summit/Compaq Center. The principal was a huge fan of the Rockets to the point where we had a song made up of the players names (I know that was dumb, but we were kids...how did we know?). It became so important to me, that I even prayed for them to win during our school assembly (which school prayer is now a legal infraction and would have sent me up the river for 5 to 10 years :) ). But they ended up getting to the conference finals against the mighty lakers. That was when school became really fun, because the principal allowed to miss the last couple of classes in the afternoon so we could watch the conference finals and the finals (remember the "Melt the Celts" T-shirts? Still have mine, but it won't even fit my arm now). Even though we lost in the finals, I was like a crack addict...hooked...lost...no hope for any other team in my mind because the only high I was looking for came in came red and gold. It didn't hurt that the very next year I was in class with Dirk Minnifield's daughter (a name for the hardcore Rockets fans!!), so we got to watch a lot of Rockets practices before ol' Dirk was traded to Boston (I think...I was only eight, so I am not too sure). Anyway...good or bad...ROCKS FO LIFE, BABY!!!!!!!!!

9. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Went to my first game, with my father, probably around 1978. Got totally hooked and totally crushed in 1981. Took 94 to bring me all the way back.

10. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

i moved to h-town in '91 and went to some games, but i really gow hooked the season that we lost to the sonics in the playoffs (the year before the championship.) kenny shoulda hit that shot! we coulda had a ring against the real bulls!

11. Tha Jay

Tha Jay Member

Same as "Live", it started with Phi Slamma Jamma. I had just moved to Houston and got caught up in the Phi Slamma Jamma mania. So when Dream got drafted by the Rockets, I naturally became a serious rocket fan. I have followed them thru the good and bad times. Have no regrets!

12. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

i started watching with my dad in 94 when they won their first title. i live in oklahoma and get a lot of crap, but im stayin true. :)

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

93-94. I was only 6 then... Man It's been 8 years...

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1986...it rolled from the Rockets winning in great style against the Lakers and matching up against the greatest single season team in the history of the league (in my opinion)....on to the Astros competing in what was the best baseball series I've ever seen played...a great year!! I was in 6th grade...

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think I started watching in 1985 or so, maybe 86. I remember Robert Reid, Lloyd and Wiggins (snort!), Pete Chilcutt...the glory shot by Sampson that beat the Fakers in 5...I stayed up all night in 86 or so to watch the Rockets-killing Sonics do so again; the pastor even joked about it the next morning at church.

I had a bit of a lapse between 88 and 93 because I was overseas in the Navy and couldn't follow the team very well.

That's why I love this site...true f@#$%ng fans, the kind that stick with a team no matter what.