1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did you first start REALLY watching the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RC Cola, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Ah, Dunleavy, I remember him. Was he good? He had that ugly two-handed shot, like what they used to do in women's basketball. Junior looks a lot better than the old man.

I also remember Dunleavy as the chicken man. They gave out free chicken when the Rockets scored more than 130 pt (or was it 135?). Mike was always the one who scored the chicken point.

2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Funny shot. Yeah. But all I remember was him driving to the basket all
    the time and then getting hammered to the floor (but somehow the ball would
    fall in).

3. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Hey, Easy.

In 1978 I was ten years old. I actually remember seeing Calvin Murphy
    and thinking that I was taller than he was.

I told my brother that the Rockets had a point guard that was shorter
    than me.

He set me straight!

Cavlin at 5'8" looked like a little kid running around the court.

Watching those player on TV they always looked small.
    Until you saw them in person! Ha! :D

4. EG#1

EG#1 Member

about 96, i was just old enough 2 understand everything
    i was 8

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I remember Hanna Storm between 86 and 89 when I lived in Houston just after I got out of the army. I think she had blonde hair then.

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Funny, I started following the Rockets two years after I moved from Houston to Seattle. That was, of course, during the 1994 championship season. I guess I missed Houston, and wanted to cheer for their sports team.

From that point on, I always made a point to cheer for the Rockets during the playoffs. I had no concept of the "regular season". It was all about the playoffs for me.

I only started watching regular season games in the lockout season.

I've gone from enjoying the Rockets in the playoffs, to being an absolutely fanatical Rockets nut. In the last four seasons, I've become a complete basketball freak!

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Hmm...tough question.

Been a huge Rox fan since mid 70's...the year after (or was it the year of) when big Mo came to town...

Was watching them off and on since the early 70's...but I didn't become a huge bball fan till I started playin when I was 9 or so..

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Murphy was like a boy playing among men. But he knows how to shoot over taller guys. He is one of the greatest shooters of all time IMO.

He had that funny super quick dribble too. I don't know how anyone can dribble that fast.

9. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

The year they drafted Ralph Samspon is the year I got intrested in the Rockets and have been a person that loved them ever since and now to think they may be fielding one of there best teams every get my blood pumping like never before

YEAH GO ROCKETS

Ming
    Steve
    Eddie
    Boki
    Cat

The team of the future all will be hall of famers

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I was into the '86 Finals. I was 16. Me and my friends camped out for tickets at the Summit but the lawn sprinklers came on around midnight and chased our whole line of people away. I also remember Sampson's last second shot - my dad did a "happy dance" on the floor and started makin fun of the Lakers stunned faces. My neighbor was out walking her dog at that moment and heard the whole neighborhood start screaming. She had no idea why and got scared.

I got my first apartment in '90 and my roomate and I started watching every game we could. But I didn't become fanatical untill the '92 Season when we lost to the Sonics in the playoffs.

By the time of the start of the first Champ year I was a Rockets fraeak. I started collecting Rockets gear , cards etc. At that time it was still almost impossible to go to the mall and find any Rockets stuff. I would ask the guy at the sports store why they didn't carry any Rockets hats, shirts and he said, "nobody wants it".

Then we won Championships and I cried.

Then End.

11. hyperflipboi

hyperflipboi Member

I probally started watching them in the 96 playoffs against the jazz when maloney chould hit thress and Hakeem Wass still good and Chares chould bang down low.

12. bury3

bury3 Member

When Sir Charles came to town.

I actually started watching the NBA when he joined the Suns. Too bad I still hated the Rocks then (kiss of death, anyone?).

But now I'm a loyal Rocks fan through and through, even without Sir Charles.

13. aznlincolnpark

I will be watching the Rox as long as they still have yao ming in the lineup..... :p

14. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

I have had interest in the Rockets since they were in San Diego.
    I was thrilled when they picked Hayes #1. Elvin Hayes was an amazing player. Not many games were televised nationally in the early years and I have followed the team mainly in the newspaper. The internet has been a blessing to me and I frequently lurk in the chatroom during the games.

I think I should explain that I grew up in Iowa and have lived mainly either in California or Chicago since then. I recall liking the idea of living in San Diego and rooting for an underdog. I think I remained a fan since 1968 because I was fascinated by the ongoing evolution of the team, numerous players of note and the idea that you never give up on your team.

If anyone cares, Rudy had about the sweetest jump shot as far as delivery goes and the day I saw him decked by KWashington is still kind of a difficult memory for me.

15. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

I really started watching the Rockets when I was 10 years old, now I'm 20. I saw the two championships the Rockets won. I saw the entire games of the 00-01, 01-02, and I'm going to see all the 02-03 season. I'm a die hard rocket! I'd seen the good and the bad, I have punched my room walls when they lose and I get really mad. I love the Rockets that much.

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I started when I moved from Waco Texas, to Houston Texas in 1990 and I loved them from the moment we moved here and if I move to Siberia I will still LOVE the Rockets!

17. CoinToss

CoinToss Contributing Member

I first recall watching the Rockets near the end of the 81 season and their playoff run to the finals. We were more an Astros and Oilers family at the time. However we really got into basketball when Hakeem, who spelled it Akeem at the time, was at UH. I found it strange that the players would wear odd numbered jerseys on the road and even ones at home. Thus Akeem wore 35 and 34. I may have that flipped. At that time, I began watching more basketball in general. Drafting Sampson got my interest and then after the Rockets drafted Akeem, I became a devoted fan.

18. because24

because24 Member

I first start watching the Rockets when they were playing in the 86 playoofs; but became a die hard fanwhen Hakeem start dominating more in the 91' 92' season.

19. junglerules

junglerules Member

Yeah, i think i remember really starting to follow them around the end of the 86 finals. If i recall correctly, didn't the drug stuff about wiggins and lloyd come out right after that season? I seem to remember being in the parking lot of hillendahl library in NW houston, and hearing about it on the radio. It's funny what your mind tends to hold on to over the years....

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I've seen most every big playoff game since the championship years(But that was really only because my cousins were big fans)...but I wasn't the fan that I now am until like 96-97. I caught the last few years of Dream's brilliance, Charles's rebounding prowess, Clyde's speed, and all-around junkyard dog abilities of Mario Elie.