1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When did America become so beta? Saudi unhappy about bill related to 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah yes, let's blame one Republican for a 97-1 vote, clearly it was all his fault.

2. Buck Turgidson

Trent Lott, a former Republican Senate Majority Leader who now lobbies in Washington for Saudis

Scumbags of the World, Unite!

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Effing embarrassing all around

Great job, dumbasses

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wonder how many decades it would take to settle lawsuits like these. That dispute we had with Iran with their money that we were holding that took about 36 years to resolve.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm going to be fair here. A large majoirty of those deaths are from the aftermath that lead to the Sunni Shia civil war. Then you fall into the trap of the 'bigotry of low expectations'. So apparently you need a ruthless dictator to not have its people sliting each other throats.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is a new low. Congress actually override a Presidential veto to pass something that they didn't want to pass. And the excuses coming out from some of these leaders were I didn't know what I passed. Furthermore, they didn't know because... Obama. What? It's as if Obama made them all stupid.

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

it is a blessing in disguise , I think Obama/Congress/Senators deserve some credit ,JASTA will bring justice, which is long overdue even if that wasn't the main intention

#67 Exiled, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politics/obama-911-veto-congressional-concerns/index.html

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Surprise, surprise, congress didn't read or really understand the bill.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This is how Trump came to be, for two reasons. First some of these officials are completely incompetent people think they need someone outside of their culture to fix things. Then you have a portion of the country that are complete and utter morons and think Trump is the answer. Uggghhh

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...is-veto_us_57edacd1e4b082aad9ba8595?section=&On Wednesday, Congress was so determined to pass a law to sue Saudi Arabia that it overrode President Barack Obama’s veto. But possible backlashagainst America had top Republican leaders looking for someone else to blame Thursday.

And they appear to have settled on Obama.

The Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act allows victims of the 9/11 attacks to sue the kingdom for its alleged, but unproven, support of the hijackers who flew planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

Opponents had argued that the bill was caving in to conspiracy theorists and that it would raise the specter of other nations hauling the United States into court for things it actually does — such as killing civilians in drone strikes. The White House called the override the “single most embarrassing thing that the United States Senate has done” in decades.

Even 28 lawmakers who had just helped to pass the first override of Obama’s presidency sent a letter to their own leaders Thursday saying maybe there should be changes.

So Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) leveled at least partial blame on Obama.

“That was a good example, it seems to me, of a failure to communicate early about the potential consequences of a piece of legislation,” McConnell told reporters before Congress got out of town until after the elections. “By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.”

“I think it was just a ball dropped,” McConnell added. “I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.”

Senate Republican Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas), a sponsor of bill, was harsher on Wednesday, while his colleagues were working up their letter expressing doubts.

“What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process,” Cornyn told reporters. “They were basically missing in action during this whole process.”

But there’s a catch.

Before criticism started blowing up around the world over JASTA, Republicans accused Obama of doing too much to kill the bill they are now worried about. And Cornyn in particular was angry about it. He said so in April, on the Senate floor, just before Obama went to meet with the Saudis.

“Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn,” Cornyn said.

“It appears that the Obama administration is pulling out all the stops to keep this bill from moving forward before the president’s visit to Riyadh,” he said. “I wish the President and his aides would spend as much time and energy working with us in a bipartisan manner as they have working against us trying to prevent victims of terrorism from receiving the justice they deserve.”

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

OMG, Schumer is so racist. Oh, no!

Anyway, Obama released a statement saying that congress has "buyer's remorse" over their override decision. Wrong Obama: the only "buyer's remorse" anyone has at this point is over your second term.

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

Obama's approval ratings say otherwise but keep pushing your "every Democrat who disagrees with Obama is a racist" shtick. Speaking of buyer's remorse, I get it every time I read one of your posts.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They wanted a bipartisan vote to stick it to Obama. Now they got one, 7 years after McConnel wanted to make him a One-Term president by getting his buddies to sit on their fat asses by doing nothing.

Great Optics. Now let's see how they'll lie and wiggle their way out of explaining why there's still an empty seat at SCOTUS the moment when Hillary wants to pick someone else.

I don't know which he tugs harder, this or the ill conceived Vegan/global warming gambit.

At least Croquette hasn't added fake hashtags to his clever self referential nuggets.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Keep it together Rojo.

15. hlcc

hlcc Member

Nicaragua contras. Nicaragua actually sued us on International Court of Justice and was awarded reparations, however we basically said f_you to the ICJ and blocked any UN attempt on enforcing the reparation payments

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Pray for Rojo

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A civil war predicted by the CIA and warned of the casualties of dethroning Saddam. We knew this was going to be horrible for Iraq but did it anyway.

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Oh, I fully agree that the invasion was a horrible idea but let's not put 100% of the blame of the hundreds of thousands lives lost in Iraq on the US. A lot of it the Iraqi people did to themselves and I know Iraqis who acknowledge and understand this themselves.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My point only is that we knew we'd destabilize the region and civil war would break out - so yes the decision makers do bear some of the responsibility just as the British did when they partitioned India.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They were warned that pulling out of Iraq prematurely would lead to civil war and that it would empower terrorist organizations and potentially lead to the fall of the infant Iraq government.....but that was ignored and they did it anyway and then campaigned on it as if it was a good idea...till it was obvious that it wasn't and now they are blaming it on others. Typical.