1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Cruz Makes His Move, Watch Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

One thing it's undoubtedly true:

Ted Cruz supporters love Ted Cruz more than I've ever loved anyone or anything.

2. AkeemTheDreem86

Using word "chutzpah" is not the issue. The issue stems from the age-old anti-semitic tool of equating "New York" and "Jewish". This isn't some "en vogue" new phenomenon.

Aldo, Yiddish and New York have nothing more to do with each other than Yiddish and any other city with Jews in it.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sure made his move.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

In fairness to Cruz and the insane people that support, I don't think he was expected to do well in NH. And while it is good news that Kasich did well, I also think NH was one of the states he was expected/hoping to do well in, no?

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

By the same token, Iowa was tailored made for him. Huckabee won Iowa also.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agreed. So other than Texas, what states seem to be strong for Cruz? Arkansas? Seems many states are tracking strongly towards Trump and with early state wins beginning to pile up it would seem Cruz has an increasingly steep hill to climb.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I expect Cruz to ramp up his religion now that Huck and Carson are done. Expect back channel leaks about Trump's debauchery and religious history, true or not.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Is this what all the 'shark jumping' references were about? Losing to Trump again, and even losing to Kasich?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Kasich went literally all-in in New Hampshire. He appears to have virtually no campaign infrastructure anywhere other than New Hampshire. He is also expected to do well in his home state of Ohio, if he is still in the race that long.

Kasich is a Democrat's idea of who the Republican nominee should be. He is this year's Jon Huntsman. He himself jokingly suggested that perhaps he should be running as a Democrat. Republicans nationally are not buying what John Kasich is selling. In fact, as Dave Wasserman of the Nate Silver's FiveThirtyEight blog points out concerning John Kasich's second place finish in New Hampshire:

If you were to sketch out the most disastrous New Hampshire outcome possible for the anti-Trump GOP “establishment,” I’d argue it would be what we’re witnessing right now.

Unlike in Iowa, Trump appears to be exceeding his polling average and expectations. Furthermore, the only “breakout” candidate in the next tier appears to be John Kasich, who looks likely to win a clear second place finish thanks to strong showings in liberal enclaves. But Kasich holds little appeal outside of New Hampshire. Bush looks likely to finish slightly ahead of Rubio, setting up an establishment muddle in South Carolina.

This is good for Cruz also. As long as the establishment vote is fractured, both Trump and Cruz are just going to keep rolling along racking up delegates. Kasich will not come out on top in this lane. But whoever the establishment option is going to be, that person needs to step up fast, because the clock is ticking.

Will it be Marco Rubio? Maybe Jeb Bush?

Bwahahahahahaha! This is just great.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Again? There have been two races. Cruz won the first one and Trump the second. This is the first time that Cruz has lost to Trump and also the first time that Trump has ever won any race.

It is probably a little early to be strapping the skis on just yet, don't you think? :)

11. Buck Turgidson

It's the beauty of being a Tedite. Cruz does well: This is great news! Cruz does poorly: This is great news!

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Wait, what?

Last week at this time, we learned in Iowa that third place is the new first place. So if that was so in Iowa, then surely it is true in New Hampshire.

Who finished in third place in New Hampshire?

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The bottom line is - you need to watch out, regardless.

14. B-Bob

Oh most definitely. I was just having a little fun. Edward will be competitive in South Carolina, I would predict. Kasich, not so much.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

This argument will probably end with me being called an anti-Semite. Now, is it an anti-semitic tool to marry Jewish and New York together, I don't know. But, it isn't made up. New York City is 18% Jewish and easily has the largest Jewish community in the country. When Israel was founded, it had half the Jews that NYC had. Over half of American Yiddish speakers live in New York. New York is home to our Yiddish newspapers, Yiddish theatre, and pretty much the epicenter of American Jewish and especially Yiddish culture for the last 100 years. It does not seem unnatural to take a Yiddish term like chutzpah and associate NYC as a geography for it. NYC is a special place in terms of the history of Jews in the US. It's not like it is some kind of fabrication for Cruz to say chutzpah is a New York thing -- it stretches the metaphor though. But, I'm supposed to go on from there and say some anti-semites dismiss New York as Jewish, and therefore Cruz or Cruz's voter base are anti-semites? If I acknowledge that a quintile of NYC is Jewish and that NYC is a world capital of Jewish culture, than I'm either an anti-semite myself or I'm wittingly or unwittingly playing into the hands of the anti-semites?

16. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Five Ben Carson staffers have quit his campaign and endorsed Ted Cruz. This apparently happened on Monday before the New Hampshire primary.

Just an update for those who may have been confused about whether Ben Carson's support was going to continue to consolidate behind Ted Cruz. They are and they will. See for yourself.

17. B-Bob

I think you're both right. The other poster is correct, IMO, when he mentions the dog whistle part of saying "New York values" as a pejorative and dropping a yiddish word in the bargain. And if Cruz can snag a few anti-semite votes (a small block in the US, overall... a few skinhead types), then he will gladly do so.

But no, I don't think anyone thinks Cruz himself is an anti-Semite. I think the whole "New York values" thing is more, for him, uniting angry rural white America against liberal boogeymen (and, honestly, "different" people of all stripes) who inhabit the sin-infested misguided cities.

He was shrewdly playing to Iowa and South Carolina with that... schtick.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The stars are aligning. It is God's will. Dominion is coming!

1 person likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm confused by this story. Are these Carson staffers, or did they work for the SuperPAC, which as I recall is unaffiliated with the Carson campaign. And, assuming they worked for the SuperPAC, these probably aren't the leaders, because they'd just repurpose the SuperPAC. Are these mid-level guys then, or nobodies? And whether they are in the middle or the bottom, is it indicative of something that they've changed where they'll draw their salaries from?

Lol.

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

You are missing the forest for the trees.

Carson's campaign is winding down and his support is slowly but surely ebbing over to Ted Cruz. Carson has not announced his formal exit from the race yet, but last I heard he has left the campaign trail and he has flown home to "do his laundry". You really cannot make this stuff up.

Meanwhile, these five paid professionals have apparently seen the writing on the wall. They have pulled the rip-cord and quit.

These five apparently have not even been hired by the Cruz campaign. At least not yet. But presumably they would be favorably disposed if they received such an offer.