1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When can we extend Luis Scola's contract?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Scola will be restricted free agent hence we can match any offer made to him. As of right now he is going to get no more than full MLE, thats just the economic nature of the league. Now next summer will be stacked with top level talent so he isn't going to be priority no 1 to a team with the cap space to make big moves. With that said I could see us potentially doing a sign and trade to clear cap space if we can get our hands on Chris Bosh who I think will see Morey on his front door at 11pm when free agency starts. There is still a scenario where we get Bosh and get to keep Scola at reasonable price but that would mean moving Battier to a team under the cap.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Actually, I went to one of the games in 08 when we played the Nets and one of the fans asked from their seat how tall he was he showed with his hands that he's 6' 9'.

That means very undersized PF, and if you take a look at him next to Carl Landry he doesn't look too much taller than him.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Thats a negative shipwreck.

More then half the NBA teams are gunning for the LBJ sweepstakes. Clearing space and whatever else they need to do. But there wont be that many player requiring max contracts. Thats a lot of dough still left even after role players.

For crying out loud, NYK are trying to clear out enough space for 2 max contracts and so many other teams clearing for one. Thats just too much change left over for the other teams who lose the LBJ/Bosh/Wade sweepstakes.

4. Seth

Seth Member

I am quite sure than in 2010 there are more teams with 10 millions or more to offer, than FA deserving 10 millions.

So Scola might be recipient of some of those offers from teams that canĀ“t get the PF they desire.

5. Seth

Seth Member

Oh, and i forgot to say, but Scola would get PLENTY of Euro offers, he is more valued there than here, and much more now that the teams now he can succeed at any level.

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Scola can play more here as well as get more money since other good teams only have MLE, and the bad teams generally do not need a 30 year player to build a team, so he should be here for a few more years with a contract of 7-8M/per year.

7. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Next summer will be worse. Most of the focus will be on the big-name free agents, not mid-level guys like Scola. That, and the salary cap will be even smaller than this year.

I think we may just be able to lock Scola up for a long time for pretty cheap. At least that's what I hope.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

7 footer. They get paid for just being able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Would not feel too bad about giving Scola the MLE that Gortat got.

Got slightly over the MLE (I think his first year would be something like $6.4 or $6.5 million, with annual increases to make it average $7). Like I said, I don't think something around the MLE would mean the Rockets can't afford him.

I think Miller might be the most comparable-- effective but not flashy players, both put up good but not "All Star" numbers on good teams, and both are in their early 30s when hitting free agent market (Miller older, of course). Both have some deficiencies, too. Actually, I am thinking Scola's market value is about where Miller's is: a bit above the MLE for 3 years.

(One thing that's different is he's not restricted).

See 7 footer rule. He's close enough to that size. I think his base salary was $7 million per year for 6 years, with incentives to take the total up to $50 million. (He is also not restricted.)

10. Garner

Garner Member

Wrong.

Look at Marcin Gortat's new contract and tell me its a bad time to be a FA.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Right before we sign & trade him.