1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When Backe Comes Back...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Alimoe84, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

I saw tonightt hat Brandon Backe made his first rehab start tonight and should be back after the All Star Break. So if Backe comes back and goes straight to the rotation, who leaves? Wandy or Taylor? I say leave Buchholz in the rotation. He's been very good his last two starts against formiddable AL lineups (CWS, TEX) and Wandy's 9 wins remind me alot of Jeriome Robertson. Not very good outings, but managed to pick up W's because for some reason the offense alwasy gave him 10 runs/game. Having two lefties in the roation is over rated in my opinion. I propose Phil should keep Taylor in the rotation and move Wandy to the pen as the main lefty and long relief. So Who's the odd man out you say? My First idea would be to trade Fernando Nieve and Jason Lane for a OF Bat. If no takers, I guess Nieve is the odd man out. (Although I wish it was Springer or Miller). What do you guys think of our Post All Star Break Rotation? Oswalt/Pettitte/Clemens/Backe/Buchholz

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I agree, Taylor is no Zeke or Redding he not only has good stuff he also can pitch a little too. I think he only gets better.

I'll take a bad game or two from Taylor over Wandy throwing meat to mlb players when he is down in counts.

3. xishi

xishi Member

backe sucks! he hasnt showed us anything during the past seasons. nothing!
    :mad:

bucholz amd nieve a;; the way

4. xishi

xishi Member

all*

im drunk

5. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG Member

I agree with the Wandy/Robertson connection. Totally.

If I had MY way ... I'd bring up Hirsh & give him a chance ... or Sampson again. Hirsh is simply tearing up AAA. Have you seen his numbers? Put Backe in the pen, & send down Wandy. Magic Wandy isn't that good, IMO. His win total is very misleading.

I know it won't happen, but that's what I'd do.

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

where were you in October 2004?

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He's drunk, why are you replying to him? :)

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Personally, I would start thinking trade. You've got a lot of guys that can pitch. We need hitting now. If one of these guys can get us a good hitter, do it. If not, our bullpen just gets better.

Of course, there is no guarantee that Backe is going to be the player he was. He's got a bit of an injury bug going too.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Wandy needs to go to the pen. He will give Phil a 2nd lefty. Taylor has been lights out last two starts. His stuff is much better than Wandy. Knowing Phil, Taylor will be sent to the minors.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BS! He got off to a nice start this season. Have you not seen any of the Astros playoff games the last two seasons. Backe is pretty darn good.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

guess clemens is going to take the fall for Cy Backe :(

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Backe pitched well last night at RR...4 innings 1 run.....

DD

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Package two young arms (not Hirsh) + either Willie T or Jason Lame for Crawford or similar.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Exactly why would Tampa make that trade? Crawford is signed through 2008 at a very reasonable rate (4 million in 2007 and 5.25 in 2008). In 2009 Tampa holds an 8.25 million dollar option so it would be more reasonable to expect a 2008 trade for players of the caliber of Lane or Taveras (along with 2 unproven pitchers). Crawford is arguably one of the top 10 position players in the AL.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No doubt. Crawford is a rare 5 tool player that's playing for cheep. I would imagine it would take Hirsh, Nieve, and Burke to get him, which is something Purpura wouldn't do.

16. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

I think when Backe comes back, we will set our final usual lineup. For pitching, I see (1) Oswalt, (2) Pettitte, (3) Clemens, (4) Backe :D, and (5) Buchholz :). For the rest of defense, (C) Ausmus, (1st) Lamb, (2nd) Biggio, (3rd) Ensberg, (SS) Everett, (LF) Wilson, (CF) Taveras, and (RF) Berkman. The only thing I do not like about this scenario is no place for Burke and he is one of the top players on our team and plays with so much heart and with no fear and we need to put him on the field. He would be my ONLY argument for having a DH in the NL, which I would NEVER be for. I would love to see him on 2nd but that's Biggio's spot so that's offlimits in my book. I think he should go in CF personally.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because I want them to?

However, the comment suggested 'or similar', as in Cabrerra? Or? Someone with a live bat and a need for young arms. Help me here, is no one discussable???