1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's your home audio setup?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cebu, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have two Pioneer Andrew Jones tower speakers and a center channel connected to a Sony AVR. Still need to add a subwoofer and in ceiling speakers eventually. Those speakers are among the best-rated budget speakers.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was talking to a co-worker about speakers he is getting installed in his media room. Initially, the guy was going to put the speakers a foot or 2 from the ceiling but my co-worker wanted him to put them more ear shot level. Is that the right way to do it? I figured it didn't matter but i'm no expert.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bose Acoustimass in the media room.
    Yamaha soundbar for the living room.

4. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I have a beats speaker. Bluetooth it to my tv/phone
    Bam

5. Duncan McDonuts

I don't know about that one, but most sets have a calibration microphone that you place at your sitting position and it'll calibrate the speakers for different tones and sound levels.

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Most of these setups are for listening to movies. 5 channels, 7 channels, whatever. If you want to listen to music ...

NAD 7225PE receiver
    Klipsch Heresy II speakers
    Panasonic SL-D2 turntable

and yes, they are all over 30 years old and sound better than most crap sold today.

Now you kids get off my lawn.

ATXNekko likes this.
  7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I highly recommend getting these:

Mcintosh AV Processor and Amp
    Martin Logan speakers (Neolith model for front speakers)

8. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

If you don't already, you need to know about this company:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/price...itesspeakers.com/prices_-_new_crossovers.html

Brought my Forte II's back to life (Just saw that Klipsch has reintroduced the Forte with the Forte III under their heritage series........I could replace mine for almost four grand!)

Pipe likes this.
  9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That stuff is crap; everybody needs a pair of Magico Ultimates driven by an Opera Only.

10. what

what Member

Don't have one. I used to have a nice midrange setup, but I hardly ever listen to music like you would with a quality system. Gone for me are the days of spinning a good album on a turntable and I can't do two things at once, like that.

11. likestohypeguy

IDK. I've heard all-in-one home theaters "in a box" that when they crank up, I'd much rather listen to the on-board tv speakers instead.

12. likestohypeguy

I got a pair of the bookshelves from that AJ series on a closeout. Guess they're pretty good for the price, I'm just increasingly getting the feeling they have a much better reputation at being better than their price, on the internet, than they actually are irl. No knock on them, but you know, once a cult-review snowball effect starts rolling, the hype grows exponentially. Ppl get them, they sound good, and they parrot the reviews they read that convinced them to buy them, every time increasing the "best for <$xxx" you can get etc. hype.

Probably the towers are much better, the best buy from that series though.

13. elrond

elrond Member

Running a pair of Kef R500s with Denon receiver that I've been happy with. I had one of the first powered SVS subs (20-39PC), but I had to leave it with family due to my current living conditions don't really support having a subwoofer. Those things are hard to beat, and highiy recommended.

My standard recommendation for this kind of question is to take your favorite music to a bunch of different speaker shops where you can listen. Audio is pretty much one of the most subjective things, and speaker tastes will vary widely depending on the music you listen to, and all speakers will be better at some things than others. When I bought my first speakers I listed to a bunch of brands including Klipsch, B&W, PSB, Paradigm, and Kef. Ultimately settled on Kef Q35s, which I used for over 10 years before upgrading to the current R500s.

faraza84 and cebu like this.
  14. Duncan McDonuts

The bookshelves are probably the weakest speakers in that series. They're more supplementary than primary speakers as they don't have big enough speakers for the bass. I'd say that about any brand, really. Bookshelf speakers are too tiny. The towers have a wide range for the frequencies and the center speaker is great for dialogue/voices. I'd probably do 4 tower speakers and a center channel if I could, but that wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing for my room.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

mcintosh c52 + 2x mc301 w/ sonus faber lilium towers in red

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have a 5.1.2(heights) Aperion speaker set up. And run them through a Pioneer Elite SC-67 receiver. Been very pleased with the set up for movies and music.

faraza84 likes this.