1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Yao biggeeeest weakneeeeess?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotoloveit2, Aug 30, 2002.

1. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Today game pretty much confirms my assessment on Yao's strengths and weaknesses so far. He can shoot with high percentage. He can block. He's agile for his size. He has a strong base; he couldnt be pushed around that easy as some of you might say. The Canadian backup center got away with all those pushes only cuz it was an exhibition game. I dont expect other centers in NBA, except Shaq, that could really push Yao around THAT easily. Above all, it was his passing ability for a guy of his size impresses me the most. Besides being a defensive presence in the paint, his passing skill should benefit the Rox the most early in the season, while he needs time to adjust to the pace of the games and build up his upper body strength. So, my question for you all is what do you think is the biggest weakness in Yao's game. I think it'll be his foul trouble. It is common for all big men early in their NBA careers. And Yao is no different. Look at his recent games. You can see that he would have a good game as long as he stays out of trouble. I think the Rox coaching staff should concentrate on that. As a matter of fact, I believe the best way to play defense is not simpily by blocking shots, but rather forcing your opponent out of their favorite positions and putting pressure on their shots without close to fouling him.

2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Inexperience...Thats Yao biggest weakness IMO

3. gotoloveit2

All rookies lack experience for the pro games. But not all rookies get into foul troubles.

4. almostReady

almostReady Member

Muscles.

To be precise, lack of upper body muscles.

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Wouldnt you say that with expericence he could learn to stay out of foul trouble?

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree. The biggest weakness is foul trouble.

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Yao's only weakness is that he is a rookie, just like every other number-one pick. Why does the media expect him to be a perfect player at this stage? He is a 21 year-old rookie! He needs time to develop just like any other draft pick. No one enters the league with a perfect game.

8. gotoloveit2

With experience , all aspects for the game improves. Thats not the right answer because it comes with times. One doesnt need to concentrate on improving experience. It comes naturally.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

You have a gift....for stating the obvious. Noone said Yao would have to work on experince. EVERY person on this board has said all he needs is time. But hey thanks for those words of wisdom.

10. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Yao's biggest weakness is his speed..if you have seen his footage he's a bit lagging in his turnaround jumpshot..you can see it coming from a mile away....While he's tall and can get away with it on most centers, if you know it's coming you can alter it and it can be stopped

MY biggest weakness is experience :rolleyes:

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

his conditioning. He plays great in stretches, and then starts gasping and visibly showing his tiredness to his competitors.

Foul trouble isn't that much of a concern to me yet I'm pretty sure he wont foul out in 20-25mpg and he'll learn when and when not to foul.

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

Yao's Weakness list:
    coach
    teammates.
    experince.
    leadership.

13. windy

windy Member

give this young man couple of years and see what it happens

14. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Biggest Weakness = current coaching, lack of guard play, style of play and experience.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yao's biggest weakness is the pressure of everyone's overblown expectations and the way so many sportswriters proclaim him a bust if, every game, he doesn't come riding down from heaven on a white horse bearing a gleaming sword, leading a host of angels. He simply needs what our coaching staff can provide: strength conditioning, know-how. And game experience.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LaFrentz got into foul trouble a lot after he was traded to Dallas. He's not a rookie, but he got into a new team, a new system.

Sometimes chemistry affects the way you react in game situations. Defense needs chemistry as much as offense. That could mean problems for Yao in his first season.

17. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

I agree to that part of your statement but I say his biggest weakness is his playing on the China basketball team put him with any NBA team and he becomes the 2nd best center in the NBA ...soon to be the best..it may take 2 years for him to post Shaq type numbers but it will come and sooner that people think...:cool:

18. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I don't know about Yao's but your biggest weakness is not knowing how to spell, "biggest weakness".

19. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Ming has played several games without getting into foul trouble. Last night the coach of the NT set out to deliberately foul. Read the reviews and you will see that other teams double tripple and sometimes set 4 players at Ming. We will not know his true weakness if any until he plays in the NBA. Right now Ming is on a team that does not use him propertly. It will be interesting to see what he does in the NBA.

:D :D :D :D :D

20. michecon

michecon Contributing Member