1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's Wrong With Our Current System?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 14, 2012.

1. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

perhaps your right with the cited but it's only natural for coaches to make mistakes...nobody is without mistakes...just as it is natural an allowable for a player to miss an open 3 its natural for a coach to make mistakes you mentioned...i think no coach functions on not making any mistakes but he coach on the principle of adjusting things...he tries this and that and see what happens over a course of a game or few games or even dozen of games...then he make some adjustments and so on...

2. Postcall

Postcall Member

Seriously the coaching on offense is terrible. The misuse of Lin and Harden is going to lead to problems. Kyle Lowery could not stand this system and I am beginning to understand why now. At first I thought it was Mchale's system that made Lowery great but he has gotten even better since leaving Dragic has been doing the same or better. Mchale's offense is hard to stomach..honestly watch these guys on offense and tell me if you are watching good basketball.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The problem is with our current system is that there is no system.

4. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Kevin Martin has a higher PER than Harden, even though Harden is a better overall player. That tells me the coaching staff is not using Harden right. Coaching staff is clueless.

5. JPhil93

JPhil93 Member

How can we say that this system is a failure when we dont even know if the players are running it properly? For all we know they're still learning and we can continue the course until we have a proper sample of games to know if something doesnt work. Lets not go out and condemn Sampson because he has only had 2 games out of 7.

6. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

The fact that he tells the best playmaker on the team (arguable but that's my opinion) and even if we ignore that bit.... the starting PG on the team, to stand in the corner and shoot threes is more than enough to condemn Sampson as a useless coach as far as I'm concerned.

7. JerryH

JerryH Member

In my opinion the offense was set for the team with no Harden and run well in pre-season and in the first 2 games. Now Harden has taken over it's different. Let's give the team a month and evaluate then.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not enough time together.
    Too young.
    Players not good enough yet to compete every night.
    No backup PG.

9. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

The system doesn't even make use of our existing PG. Lin is basically relegated to a Derek Fisher role, except he's a terrible spot-up shooter. Isn't it peculiar that the offense was much more fluid in the first two games before the three day break and implementation of this offensive scheme that gets Delfino to do some handling and decision-making and gets the PG to be a 3-shooter. Tries to work inside the post with Asik or even Cole Aldrich. Gives Harden random ISOs whenever. Surely that's a joke right?

10. slickster

slickster Member

The coaches. /thread

11. hehsy5sy5

hehsy5sy5 Member

Lin misused because of our horrible coaches who need to be let go. Everyone's a scrub besides Asik, Harden and Lin. Too many scrubs being over used, rookies not getting burn cause traded-sooner-or-later scrubs is burning time

12. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Well, they are not utilizing Harden and Lin's strength at all. Any good teams will have Houston all figure out. Just double Harden on the pick and roll and let Asik roll because he's no threat. One of the reasons why Harden just resort to ISO and Lin just camps out on the 3pt line.

Its the coaching staff job to find different ways to utilize their backcourt talents and strength. But so far, no new changes have been made to the offense. Hopefully as the season progresses, the coaching staff would understand Lin and Harden's game more and find different tactics to get them to be more effective offensively.

13. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

I can't agree more with you guys. Harden and especially Lin is misused big time. Lin's greatest asset is his play-making and getting to the rim whether it is scoring or passing. I am really not buying the system at all.

14. munco

munco Member

^this.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Still expecting the Rockets to be as disciplined as OKC and the Heat? Wondering why they took totally disjointed at times? Wondering why the offensive playbook seems simplistic? Wondering why all the turnovers? Wondering why the offense is being run through Harden?

I would tell you but it is a secret.

16. AbrahamLincoln

Too slow to initiate the offense.
    No constant perimeter threats. Delfino and TD are streaky.
    No low post offensive scoring.
    Team just needs more time together. This is knee jerk. Give them 20 games to be cohesive.

On the plus side Morris is very good off the bench.
    Omer can rebound like a monster.
    Parsons shot is starting to fall and Greg Smith looks decent rebounding and defensively.
    All we need is Lin to start adapting to the role hes in and scoring consistently. The assists have been there.(other than this evening.)

17. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Coaches are the problem. Fire them and bring back Rudy T.

18. Knightrogen

Knightrogen Member

Are you a fan of JVG's offense too? If not, explain.:confused:

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

20. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

The issue with Rockets' offensive is because of Asik, so I guess you can say the problem is the system the Rockets are running.

Asik is a very good defender, and great on the board, but he is just terrible on the offensive end. How many times did he get the ball next to the basket, and either missed, or got blocked today? The Rockets have no choice but using him in the PnR, because his man would never leave the paint, otherwise.

The Rockets coach staff really need to figure out a way, such that Asik's liability can be covered, or other team will just pack the lane, make the Rockets a 3pt shooting team, which is happening right now. You won't win many games in NBA that way.