1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's worked to make your marriage/relationship successful?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gatsby, May 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

By the time you realize this, it's already too late.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Divorce duh!

Honestly you have to marry someone you're going to be compatible with on three levels.

1) Physically attracted to/chemistry
    2) Best friends or damn good friends
    3) You challenge each other intellectually and have similar interests or values

After that you could probably work through just about anything.

If you don't have these working through issues is hard because in the back of your mind you are probably really not all that happy anyway.

3. VanityHalfBlack

Trump love everybody.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Humor. If ya'll laugh a lot, together.....helps tremendously.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We saw each other one sunny afternoon in late May. She had just moved into the top duplex in front of my garage apartment, a couple of blocks from Hermann Park, and was carrying some groceries to the back door. I was sitting under a large bush 25 feet away, digging up worms to feed my pet owl, parked on my shoulder. I said hi, she looked around and spotted me. We both grinned at the same time and that's all it took.

My significant other is my best friend. We love traveling together. We have similar tastes in music, and although I have much broader tastes, I don't dislike the stuff she likes. We enjoy going to clubs to listen to it live, although we can't take the volumes as high as we used to. We read both fiction and non-fiction, and talk about what we read if the spirit moves us. We love going to the movies. We have great and frequent sex. If we have a fight, it's rarely a big deal and we never stay mad, but there have been some bumps along the road, for sure. The sex helps with that. We each do our own thing frequently. Nights out. Weekends alone to see friends in other cities. That's important, at least for us.

Things like that for 38 years.

1 person likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

This is the best way. Also lots and lots of p*rn since you shouldn't expect any sex.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sex.

When you have had a tough day, and she wants it, you just have to go with it and get in there.

Be ready at any minute - that is the key.

DD

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trust, communication, trust, humor

and above love, how you get that flame going whether it is spiritually or physically

right there with DD, gotta communicate after Sex

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I've always found that I suck at relationships. Mine usually last about a year. So I wouldn't take my advice.

:eek:

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Loyalty, honesty and trust

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Let me be honest with you. Having a lot of money is one of the key elements of being wealthy.

1 person likes this.
  12. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Cheap hookers and lots and lots of cocaine

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

You be earnin not concernin what nobody wanna say

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The separate bank accounts did work for us for a while. Sex twice a week stopped a while ago aka having a kid. And SSRI's are known to cause impotence, so that may interfere with #2 though.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Separate checking accounts
    Date nights
    Take an interest in things she's interested in
    encourage her to chase her dreams
    Don't be jealous
    go on vacations together
    Manage your money and maintain a decent savings account

16. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

It's a husband's responsibility to love his wife. When she feels loved by her husband, she will respect him. Find out, as a husband, what you can do to make your wife feel loved and purposely do those things. A wife will always answer that question straight up.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Never asking for or taking relationship advice from Clutchfans.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My mom told me once that when things get tough, turn to each other instead of against each other. That simple advice pretty much saved my marriage back in 2009. Made it stronger, actually.

If you have kids, have frequent date nights/weekends. Don't just be mommy and daddy all the time. Take her to a show at the Hobby Center, then spend the night downtown. Go to Vegas once a year. Just have fun.

Have sex 3 or 4 times a week. Don't make excuses for not doing it, just do it. Often. It's impossible to fight while you're having sex (unless you're into that kind of thing).

#38 ima_drummer2k, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I'll speak for marriage...

Forget pride and the egos. You're partners in life. It's not about your happiness first, foremost or only.

Also, realize that you are both not perfect and are "broken" but still choose each other no matter what anyway.

But most importantly is commitment. You are going to go through rough times, whether it's between one another or with something going on in one or both of your lives (financial, sickness, disease, children issues, etc). Couples now a days allow these things to tear them apart. They give up in the times that are meant to bring them closer together.

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

My girlfriend is way out of my league, so over the past two years I've been fattening her up. Just so we can equal things out and she doesn't realize she's way more of a catch than me.

It's <3