1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's up with people thinking Yao can't play in Rick's offense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 28, 2009.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Lower doesn't mean its still correct. He basically played 12-16 minutes straight, sits and than plays 12-16 minutes straight again.

The point is prior to 04-05 years, he played an average of 30 minutes with no 12-16 minutes rotation. I don't even recall JVG doing that.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yao is way better than any C that Rick has coached. It's different because he has never had a dominant scoring Center like Yao. I just hope he'll be used as more of a scoring option than Vlade was used.

3. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Yao WILL FIT because we actually HAVE decent perimeter spot up shooters in AB, SHANE, ARIZA. The offense will swing, swing and go through YAO. Yao will either swing or do that baby hook. Period. 5 Championships in making :grin:

4. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Let's see if yao can even come back at all. He went through some major surgery. Even if he does come back, he's probably going to be playing 6-8 minutes a game for a while. :grin: :grin: :grin:

5. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

That is incredible true, I mean. If you use the same system on NBA 2K11 next year, I'm sure you'd be fine...if you turn off fatigue and injuries. Reality is they are part of the game. Yao cannot last in our system if he runs with us like Hakeem once was able to do and David Robinson. Yao has to play the same role Kareem played in those Showtime Lakers.

And just for the record, I believe Yao's closest resemblance as far as style goes is the Laker version of Kareem.

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

we need good passers that's all
    Yao fits well

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'll play this game with tinman, yao doesn't fit unless he comes back as a better angle reader of passing and a willing mid range shooter. Its not really about him fitting, but coaches use players and make their system fit the players. People always want to use kareem, but kareem was a guy that could rebound outside his area. Yao only rebounds within a small area. So what happens is scola will run the rebounds down and take away a lane that could be filled by a player. Right now with hayes in the middle and scola on the court, the rockets track down longer rebounds better which equal to a quicker pace and easy baskets. Put yao in and thos chances are gone probably cut in half. The benefit though is the defense becomes much better because yao is a good defender especially in the post. Another set back is yao clogging the lane for brooks and lowry. With yao in there, just as he clogs and helps on defense, brooks dribble drive chances are going to dwindle. Of course yao can fit, but are you going to relinqush yao to a somewhat upgraded version of Big Z is the question

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I think Yao is just THAT slow. Slower than all the centers mentioned, except maybe way fattened Duckworth (RIP). He needs his minutes reduced already with his injury history. Speeding up the pace surely wont help that. But cant slow it down to a crawl either.

Defense, rebounding, outlet passing, trailing the play, any slow center can do that. Yao wont have to move past the half court line if he does it well enough. Then bring in Andersen for the change of pace.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'd like Yao to become a dead-eye midrange shooter and a superior outlet passer. If he can be a threat as a stand-still shooter at the top of the key, we could also try Landry in the post when those are on the floor together.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can't think of the name of it, but Yao basically has a 1 way brain. What i mean by that is he's really good when his mind is on 1 track. Yao is a great shooter when he commits to shooting, but when he has to think about it, he struggles. He has the same issues as a passer. Francis was the same also. They cant decipher quickly wihen facing a fork in the road. I wish he wouldn't hesitate when he gets the chance at those shots. When he does, he usually misses, when he just fires, he's damn good.

11. sew

sew Member

agreed. id rep if i could.

12. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

If Yao comes back Adelman will alter his gameplan to make Yao fit.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I'll say it again. He's 7'6''. He's big. His post game is outstanding. His free throw percentage is excellent. His passing ability from the post is excellent.

Why would you take him out of the paint where shooting percentages are always higher and he's more likely to get fouled? If he's out high, those open threes for brooks, ariza, cbud, and company aren't there as much anymore.

14. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

What? We're talking about YAO MING, the best offensive big in the league (back to the basket - ignore Dirk). If he comes back from this injury like he came back from the last couple of injuries there is no question Landry would defer to him.

You have got to be out of your mind to think Yao will defer to Landry - REGARDLESS of the situation. Have you seriously forgotten how dominant Yao was?

Adelman's system be damned, you build the system around your players - not around a concept. If you have Yao Ming on your bench you modify your system (This is provided he recovers like he usually does and doesn't pull a T-Mac).

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

If Yao comes back to 100%, Adelman could alter his game plan to make Yao fit. Otherwise, the rockets would fire Adelman.

If Yao is only 60-70%, Yao has to try his best to fit in Adelman's system.

If Yao is 80-90 %, it will be hard to tell. Both Adelman and YAO probably won't want to change. Ademan could be fired, or Yao could resgin with other team. I think that is the most likey situation.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Actually, Kareem wasn't really rebounding in anybody's area during the 80s.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/abdulka01.html

Part of it, no doubt, is that he had good rebounders around him to steal defensive boards from him. His offensive rebounding rate stayed around the 7-8% mark for the most part.

The Rockets are overall a better defensive rebounding team with Yao on the court. The one area Yao's absence has really killed the Rockets is defensive rebounding.

As for Yao clogging lane for Brooks penetration drive. You live with that in the half-court setting. Even with all that added space, the Rockets are not an efficient team in the half-court setting at all. They are better on the break now (thanks to the Ariza pick-6 steals, and Lowry pushing the ball), but their halfcourt efficiency hasn't been great, even with Landry scoring efficiencly and despite Brooks' best efforts.

17. HoustonRockets

I think Yao can fit, but we do have to understand he is coming off a big surgery same as Big Z had. Also, he isnt as mobile as the other bigs you listed.

18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yao will still be a dominant inside scorer regardless, so i doubt Yao will try his best to fit Adelman's system.

In the end you are right, if the Rox keep on having success with the system they are running now and Rick can't figure out a way to use Yao effectively one of them is going to leave.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Well said.

I giggle every time when I see people say Yao will never fit in a fast break offense. They must be thinking that it takes all five players to run fast break in order for a fast break to work. :grin:

20. BaiHua

BaiHua Member

Speaking of tracy mcgrady, it's not whether or not he could fit in with rick's system, the point is that rockets wanna dump him ASAP :rolleyes: